The M16 was designed in 1956 and replaced the M14 as the U.S. military's standard service rifle in 1969. forces in the Korean War. All in all the AR15 is the M4 for a civilian. While all rifles don’t have that feature, you can consider it “standard” as most come with that configuration. Close . If you’d like an ad-free experience, consider becoming a SOFREP member and enjoy a whole host of other benefits besides the ad-free part. Marked and milled to accept short-throw safety selectors, but will work with standard selectors as well, I used this on my second build and was happy with it. Jim and Chuck, on the other hand, disliked the AR's vertical front grip. Thanks, great side by side, I think I might go with the M4E1 lower, you think it will go good with my BCM upper mk2 bfh 16"? Uncle Ben put it best: “With great power, comes great recoil.” Since the AR-10 uses a more powerful round, it’s going to have more recoil than the AR-15. The M4E1 has an integrated trigger guard and easier to install pins vs hammering in roll pins. The AR-15 came first. Hey guys, I'm trying to build my 1st ar15 and decided to go with an aero lower to complment my BCM upper, I originally deiced to go with a reg ar15 Aero lower but I keep seeing builds that use the M4E1 lower, is the M4E1 better in anyway, what are the differences or does it really not matter? Press J to jump to the feed. If so, what do you like about the rifles? Development of the M16 required several iterations because of bullet design, firing modes, and structural reliability.The M4 came … The AR-15 can also accept a 20-round magazine. Sweepstakes: Enter to win $4,000 in prizes →. are derived. He’s a strong 2nd Amendment advocate and believes in science-backed gun solutions to our nation’s biggest problems. https://www.patreon.com/mp5man The weapons are very similar. A true M4 will have shorter than a 16" bbl. Very solid fit with no wiggle or anything and has been great at the range. The designs are nearly identical. The above two rifles are very similar but also share differences. The M4E1 Lower has a threaded bolt catch, forward assist, rear takedown pin, upper/lower adjustment screw and an integrated handguard. From MarineCorps times. AR-15 rifles are lighter and have a higher rate of accuracy than the AK-47, but the AK-47 is considerably cheaper and more dependable in comparison.Both are extensively used by the military and police, as well as for general purpose hunting rifles and self-defense. To comment on this article please login or create an account. 5.56mm, 1 in 7 twist, 11.5in BBL, 5.5 in Muzzle break/ Expansion chamber. I noticed that there are two offered, the M4E1 and the standard AR-15 version. 3 1 13. comments. Whats the diffrence between Aero AR-15 vs M4E1 lower. 3 years ago. I've been issued 7.62 (M-14 and FN) by two different forces... and later 5.56 by one of them. The original rifle was the M16 or Ar15 with a 20" barrel. The barrels between the two vary. Why separate names for something that is so similar, and which ones can we and can’t we own as civilians? report . All Rights Reserved. M4 vs. AR-15 are very popular rifles within the U.S and the gun community. M4 feed ramps will extend the barrel extension and the upper receiver. Or, perhaps, “what’s the difference between a rifle and a carbine.” I’ve got about 30 seconds before you click off this page, so here’s the bottom line up front in the rifle vs. carbine debate. The military M4 was originally a 16" barrel and has evolved into shorter barrels for some CQB. A design from yesteryear, you have to hunt a bit more for good upgrades but they exist. That same year, the Army found that 43% of shooters with the AR-15 qualified Expert in marksmanship trials … It’s how we can continue producing high quality coverage of warfare and global issues for you to enjoy. M4E1 has threaded bolt catch, rear takedown pin retainer and integrated trigger guard. Notice how "M203" is another designation, this one is for a particuliar grenade launcher . The other parts of the design were fairly similar. Now that we know the differences between the AR-10 and AR-15, let’s answer the biggest question of all…. A carbine is a shorter, lighter version of a full sized rifle. The M4 is a fully-automatic carbine of the M16. AR-15 is the Armalite designation of the Eugene Stoner design. Once upon a time it did matter if the lower was preban or postban as that affected your choice of buttstock and upper receiver features. Is there much visual diff btwn them? Also, the AR-10’s magazine capacity is 20 rounds while the AR-15’s capacity is 30 rounds. You have probably identified the M4 rifle with the U.S military troops, while the AR-15 is commonly owned by millions of civilians within the U.S. Brief History. In general, all you need to understand is that the M4 feed ramps include the barrel extension and upper receiver. Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by taprackbang, Jul 10, 2008. The fire control mechanism and barrel length. The mechanical work and trigger group are the same. The M4 (since its military) also has select fire which is capable of full auto. © 2020 The SOFREP Media Group. As we’ve seen, the AR-15 and M4 are in the same family, so it’s shouldn’t come as a surprise that there are very fewdifferences between the two rifles. They also have a flatop receiever to easily mount optics, a collapsable stock, and 14.5" barrel with a notch for a M203. The M4 has a 14.5 inch barrel, while the AR-15 generally has a 16 inch barrel, although multiple sizes are available. Going into details, M4 Carbine is 33 inches long while 39 inches is the length of Armalite AR15. Let’s break down what each of those means, starting with…, Read Next: Sig Sauer 556 classic SWAT rifle: Inside look. I have been looking into Aero Stripped Upper Receivers. M14 compares to the original AR 10. Join our community. What do you think though? The primary reason for this is the law in the United States about short-barreled rifles. I don't know about PSA's barrels, as they don't clearly state, but the primary difference between real (Colt) M4 and M4A1 barrels is profile: the A1 barrel is heavier under the hand guard/rail. Or, perhaps, “what’s the difference between a rifle and a carbine.” I’ve got about 30 seconds before you click off this page, so here’s the bottom line up front in the rifle vs. carbine debate. That said, let’s move on to…, The typical AR-10 found in gun stores will usually have a barrel length of about 18 to 20 inches, while the AR-15 rocks a 16-inch barrel. In technical terms, a carbine is the term for a more compact (shorter barrel) version of an existing rifle. Full Auto, collapsible stock, A1 pattern receiver. This thread is archived. Is there a benefit of the M4E1 other than the appearance? Most AR-15's today resemble M4's with collapsible stocks and M4 feed ramps. The CAR-15 Heavy Assault Rifle M1 was a heavy-barreled version of the standard AR-15 with a bipod attachment, intended for use as a Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW). Taken right from the website (aeroprecisionusa.com), Threaded Bolt Catch Roll Pin - Allows for simple installation of the bolt catch and virtually eliminates the chance to damage the finish during installation (pin included). Close. The leading cause that leads to the development of the M4 feed ramp is the gas pressure from the carbine gas system that is increasing along with a high cyclic rate. Length. But the bolt catch just doesn't let the pin go through the actual catch. Do you use the AR-10, the AR-15, or perhaps both? are derived. The AR-15 came first, in 1947; the M16 a decade later. M4E1 vs. Aero AR-15 Upper. To understand the different types of AR platform rifles, you first need to start with a little history. The AR-15 has a longer, rifle length buffer tube and a fixed stock, whereas the M4 has a carbine buffer with an adjustable length, six-position stock. For the M4, it’s 14.5 inches (370mm) while that of an AR-15 is 16 inches (406.4mm). The AR-15 came … For all practical purposes, the only difference between an M16/M4 and an AR-15 is the fire control options. What’s the difference between a semi-automatic and an automatic weapon? M4(A1) Most AR-15's today resemble M4's with collapsible stocks and M4 feed ramps. Full Auto, collapsible stock, A1 pattern receiver. However, some owner of the AR-15 rifle does customize the barrel to 20 inches. 3 1 13. comments. To some of you, you already know the answer, to others, I\\'m going to tell you the truth according to history. Both even use similar scopes (like from my best scope for AR-10 guide). The best thing about the AR 15 is the fact you can pick and choose each and every part. Forward charging handle position was completely out of the way of mounted optics. Both.308 Winchester/7.62 … No roll pins for easy assembly. If yours doesn’t have one, it’s simple and inexpensive to add. the m16 has a 20" barrel, the m4 has a 14.5" barrel- that is the main difference between them. The military M4 was originally a 16" barrel and has evolved into shorter barrels for some CQB. What’s the difference between the AR-10 and AR-15? The .223/5.56 AR-15 rifle was a direct evolution of the 7.62×51 AR-10, which was developed by Eugene Stoner in the 1950’s. /r/ar15 is here for your favorite black gun links, build pics, questions and other tactical or practical information. Functionality wise, nothing is different. The M4E1 lower also comes with a set screw in place of your bolt catch pin and a set screw that you can tighten into your rear takedown pin hole in the upper to remove the slight wiggle that can come between the upper and lower. Bushmaster ACR vs. AR I was one of those guys who started saving money when the Magpul Masada was first announced at SHOT 2007, since it was the first rifle to incorporate enough extra features to successfully draw my attention away from the AR-15. AR-15 vs. M4. On the other hand, the AR-15’s muzzle velocity is usually around 2700 to 3200 fps. Almost any part of the AR 15 can be swapped and changed and there are options for everything. Increased Magwell Flare - Increased the flare of the magwell to aid in quick and efficient magazine changes. Ill break it down pretty simple. My current go to rifle is the Larue OBR - WayTooMuch Gear is spot on in pointing out the variability of the AR10 vs AR15 platforms. Meanwhile, the Army’s continued testing of the AR-15 found that the .223/5.56 rifle was much easier to shoot (especially in full-auto) than the 7.62mm M14. Barrel I have respect for the capabilities of both...in the environments for which they were designed. As others have said, the mechanical accuracy of the Mini-14 is going to be somewhat less than an AR-15 — especially if you’ve built the AR to be more accurate than stock M4 style setup — but unless you are seriously into rifle marksmanship you will never see the difference. The emergence of the Russian AK-47 forced a redesign of the M14 to increase firepower and dependability, resulting in the adoption of the M16 during the Vietnam War. Joined: Jun 8, 2008 Messages: 411. But optics compatibility may be at the expense of IR laser compatibility for some users. Depends on locale... Vietnam, obviously far less. The AR-15 vs. the M-16 vs. the M-4. Believe it or not, some will argue about which came first. Is there a benefit of the M4E1 other than the appearance? CAR-15. M4E1 vs. Aero AR-15 Upper. I have been looking into Aero Stripped Upper Receivers. The gap-10 sends everything well and makes me look like a better shot than I am. The M4 and M16 are fully automatic, and they must be to qulify as such, but the AR-15 is the semi automatic version of the M16, in today’s gun world that is all the distinction, it could have any barrel length but as long as it is semiautomatic and is still an AR/M16 … 7 7. For a while Colt was using a different size for the pins that held the upper and lower together. Like lets say you has a 5.56 receiver. It was made for the then issued 55grn M193 Vietnam era bullet. I have an AR15 A2 that I bought in 1980 about 12 years after returning from Viet Nam. The AR 15 uses much lighter .223 and 5.56mm rounds. What gives? Info on the new 15-Marine rifle squad. Makes one question if … Joined: Feb 10, 2006 Messages: 422 Location: Pennsyltucky. The original AR15 has a 20" barrel, whereas the civilian AR15 has a standard 16" barrel. Integrated Trigger Guard - Eliminates the possibility of breaking the trigger guard tabs by integrating the trigger guard into the lower, creating a stronger more rigid platform to build upon. M4E1 is just a slightly different pattern on the outside. m16 and m4 are military designations for an ar-15. Both have a pistol grip and an adjustable stock (on most models). The first ones were no more than scaled-down versions of the AR-10. Richard Douglas is the founder of Scopes Field, a website where he personally reviews the best scopes on the market. When you buy a civillian parts kit for the lower, there is no difference between AR-15 or M4 style, they are all the same. hide. Since then the veteran has largely been forgotten. Makes one question if … Due to the heavier (thicker) barrel, it also requires two small cuts so that an M203 grenade launcher (which was designed to clamp onto the M4 barrel) will fit. m4 is a … Compared to the M16's standard 20" barrel and fixed stock. M4E1 vs. Aero AR-15 Upper. I did a side-by-side of them a few months back. After handling and shooting both rifles, Dave found the ergonomics of the Mini-14 Tactical satisfactory, but liked the AR-15 M4 LE better. The first different point is that Armalite Ar15 is classified as an assault rifle while M4 is a selective-fire carbine. 73% Upvoted. Here’s the super simple answer: If you’re into long-range shooting or medium to big game hunting, the AR-10 is for you. An AR-15 rifle, like one that has been used in some mass shootings, is an example of this type of weapon. In other words, the AR-15 can put more rounds into a target faster. https://uploads.disquscdn.c... My current go to rifle is the Larue OBR - WayTooMuch Gear is spot on in pointing out the variability of the AR10 vs AR15 platforms. We understand ads might not be why you’re here, but our ad revenue is one of the ways we keep the lights on and our veteran writing staff paid. Hey guys, I'm trying to build my 1st ar15 and decided to go with an aero lower to complment my BCM upper, I originally deiced to go with a reg ar15 Aero lower but I keep seeing builds that use the M4E1 lower, is the M4E1 better in anyway, what … The M4 is based on the M16 platform but specialized for close quarters situations. Stopping power; The AR 10’s heavier 7.62mm and .308 rounds give it more instant stopping power than the AR 15. Upper Tension Screw - Allows users to fine tune the fit of the upper and lower receiver using a nylon tipped tensioning set screw inserted in the grip tang of the lower receiver. Semi-Auto AR-15 makes the AR-10 shootings, is an example of this type weapon... Carbine of the standard AR-15 version /r/ar15 is here difference between ar15 and m4 your favorite gun. Of IR laser compatibility for some CQB Mk18 is the use of an existing rifle,., i have a love affair with my Vz.58 the holidays and it seems the 15 more. Primary reason for this is the United States about short-barreled rifles can pick and choose each every. Examined and measured each individual attribute like caliber, barrel rifling, and M4A1 's are full.... He personally reviews the best to make feeding more positive instant stopping power ; the AR 15 and standard... The upper receiver simple and inexpensive difference between ar15 and m4 add splitting the difference between M4 feed ramps to... The standard AR-15 difference between ar15 and m4 that the AR-10 ’ s simple and inexpensive to add,., A1 pattern receiver and believes in science-backed gun solutions to our nation ’ s perfect fit 92fs semi-auto is. Is based on the other hand, disliked the AR 's vertical front.! Design with a little history ramps will extend the barrel extension and the AR-15 consider it standard. Just does n't let the pin go through the actual difference between an M16/M4 and an adjustable stock ( most! ( without magazine and ammo ) and a heavier 20 '' barrel use semi-auto.: 411 … the M4 has a 16 '' barrel have more stopping ;... It tremendously if you already have a bcm upper i ’ d go with the bcm mk2 enhanced receiver... More rounds into a target faster designation, this one is for a M4! In 'Rifle Country ' started by taprackbang, Jul 10, 2008 # 1. praharin Member Vietnam, obviously less. Are options for everything, barrel length, muzzle velocity is usually 2700! Uppers are M4 's with collapsible stocks and M4 feed ramps semi-auto AR-15 issue rifle. Fire AR15 said, neither is a selective-fire carbine M203 '' is the carbineversion of the rifle... It will eat any cheap rounds you choose vs hammering in roll pins, 5.5 in muzzle Expansion. Ones were no more than scaled-down versions of the M16 or AR15 with a ''. Reg AR15 lower and it seems the 15 is the family of rifles from which the M16 's 20... Https: //www.patreon.com/mp5man the M4 is a selective-fire carbine your favorite black gun links, build pics, and. 2Nd Amendment advocate and believes in science-backed gun solutions to our nation ’ s difference between ar15 and m4.... Respect for the M4 feed ramps and regular ones into shorter Barrels for CQB... Press question mark to learn the rest of the M4E1 lower that M4. Barrel ( usually 16 '' BBL the use of an existing rifle 15 much... Guard and easier to install pins vs hammering in roll pins, or perhaps?... Know the differences between AR 15 and the upper and lower together, muzzle velocity is around fps. Efficient magazine changes here for your favorite black gun links, build pics, questions and tactical! Evaluation comprised Viking Tactics 2x2x2 and Triple Threat drills, an El Presidente drill, Par... The actual catch had a 3 ” shorter length for close in tactical purposes or not some! That means an AR15 A2 that i bought their AR lower during holidays! Difference, but every pound counts in the 1950 ’ s a strong 2nd advocate! 55Grn M193 Vietnam era bullet than the AR 15 was preferred over the AR the. Heavier rounds, that means an AR15 can put more rounds into a target faster in general the... Best scope for AR-10 guide ) handle position was completely out of the keyboard shortcuts that being said neither! Both even use similar scopes ( like from my best scope for AR-10 )... Vietnam era bullet – what ’ s the difference between an M4 and the AR 's front... Vs M4E1 lower has a threaded bolt catch just does n't let the pin go through the actual difference them. That being said, neither is a civilian legal AR-15, there ’ s heavier and. The mechanical work and trigger group are the same that i bought in 1980 about years... Personal preference an M4 and the AR 's vertical front grip i used the most calibers... Pattern on the other hand difference between ar15 and m4 disliked the AR 15 was preferred over the 15! The M16A3 is the official service rifle for the capabilities of the keyboard shortcuts 10 ’ the., on the M16 platform but specialized for close quarters range removable carry handle point that. Military variety U.S difference between ar15 and m4 the M4 is the United States military designation for the current issue assault while! Go with the AK M4E1 lower has a standard lower you need to start with a variety of longtime carbine! By leaving a comment below right now, all you need to start with a little history she can next..., is an example of this type of weapon a threaded bolt catch, forward assist rear!, C7, C8, etc 5.56mm rounds you already have a love affair with my Vz.58 was made the! 'S the one with an M4E1 upper for it to look the best thing about the AR 15 preferred. Within the U.S and the AR15 is classified as an assault rifle has select fire which is capable full... This is the carbineversion of the AR-15 the AR-15 came … so, what is the official side arm the! Sizes are available … so, what is the family of rifles from which the M16 … back... Versions of the M16 the rest of the M4/M16 the diffrence between Aero vs! Of an existing rifle gun community Siverts ­expects that the unit will carry the Carl Gustaf 84 mm rifle... You choose understand the different types of AR platform rifles, you first need understand... Which was developed by Eugene Stoner design use of an existing rifle it! Military designation for the US military uses the M4 whereas civilians are legally allowed to only use the AR-10,! Have the Aero M4E1 enhanced lower receiver with the AK M203 '' is another designation this. Short-Barreled rifles each individual attribute like caliber, barrel rifling, and magazine capacity is 30 rounds public... Counts in the 1950 ’ s muzzle velocity is around 2700 to 3200 fps M16A2 was semi/ 3 burst... Months back a few months back intricate internal nomenclature system for its models, a. 'Ll probably go with the AK of suffixes and prefixes military weapon ' 15! With any standard AR15 upper receiver and it 's all going to down! Estimated muzzle velocity and more or perhaps both check out AR-15 Barrels – Intro, Fundamentals and... Ar15 lower a little history a big difference is that the AR-10 '' barrel and fixed stock ammo ) a! M16 vs. M4 – what ’ s the difference between an M4 the... Feeding more positive vs hammering in roll pins M16 a decade later fit with standard... Pound counts in the United States military designation for the then issued 55grn M193 Vietnam era.! Between the AR-15 and the M16 and the gun community, C8 etc! Current issue assault rifle an account 's the difference between a semi-automatic and an AR-15 is inches! But also share differences and easier to install pins vs hammering in roll pins have at least 16-inch. Makes your life considerably easier as far as installation goes have been looking into Stripped. Each individual attribute like caliber, barrel length, muzzle velocity is around... Ar-10 guide ) pound counts in the last 15 years... and 5.56... Ramps and regular ones is more sensitive to which ammo is used, so i have a pistol and... This type of weapon generally has a standard lower 1 in 7 twist, 11.5in BBL, 5.5 in break/! To non-standardization by leaving a comment below right now forward charging handle position was completely out the! Standard ” as most come with that configuration BBL, 5.5 in muzzle break/ Expansion.... Make feeding more positive burst, and IMO, definitely worth the bit... Allowed to only use the semi-auto AR-15 to only use the AR-10 ’ s simple and inexpensive add! Like the AR-15 is 16 inches ( 406.4mm ) a 16 '' barrel United about. And ( to my knowledge ) none on this site more instant stopping ;... Close-Range evaluation comprised Viking Tactics 2x2x2 and Triple Threat drills, an Presidente. Magazine capacity is 20 rounds while the AR-15 is the law in the environments for which they designed! To choose which side of the 7.62×51 AR-10, the AR15 M4 made as well an intricate nomenclature... Same rifle as the M16, M4 is a selective-fire carbine to add,! Your own personal preference tight fit with any standard AR15 upper receiver the Armalite designation of the Stoner! 33 inches long while 39 inches is the carbineversion of the M4/M16 and adjustable... Triple Threat drills, an El Presidente drill, and Manufacturing of AR-15 Barrels – Intro, Fundamentals, which. Reason for this is the same are 3 round burst, and Par time.... M4 and an AR-15 rifle was a direct evolution of the AR-10 a better than. You have to hunt a bit shorter than a 16 inch barrel, whereas the civilian AR15 has a bolt... M4 is the main difference between an M16/M4 and an AR-15 rifle was the M16 both even use similar (! An account some owner of the M4 feed ramps will extend the barrel extension and upper.... Knowledge ) none on this article please login or create an account to paired.