I had to throw the bad one out. It’s another example of what is considered simply “Italian” outside of Italy, whereas in Italy it’s a highly regional specialty. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick. I'm Tina Prestia. Variations Using the Italian Pizzelle recipe given above as the basic recipe,try these variations. Yes, Italian pizzelle require a special pizzelle maker to make them, but they are inexpensive and easy to find on Amazon and almost any baking or home store like Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma. I recommend the area and this B&B. I usually use a little bit of oil and brush the pizzelle iron however that’s just precautionary. A great idea for gift giving! Pizzaiolo Pizzelles: Add 2 teaspoons tomato paste and 1 teaspoon good quality dried oregano I enjoy exploring the world through food, culture, and travel and sharing the adventure with mostly from-scratch, family friendly recipes that I think of as modern comfort cooking. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen my post on pizzelle. Please read on to hear about these traditional cookies from Abruzzo, with a savory twist. Mix in the flour slowly and delicately. I made a video with the great Vince Lia on his youtube channel. If using a stovetop iron, sprinkle with water on the outside to determine if it's hot enough. Thin and crisp, pizzelles are a classic Italian cookie. When cool, dust with powdered sugar, if desired. They are kind of like a waffle iron that presses a very soft dough into a thin, almost wafer-like cookie that you can actually shape into other forms. It was nice passing by. Preheat your pizzelle iron. Reduce the amount of flour to … Did you know that they can be savory as well? Most of these irons are made in Italy, but some are made elsewhere. Yours are perfect! If the water sizzles and evaporates, it's ready. Did you know that they can be savory as well? Chef's Notes: You need a pizzelle maker, so go get one or borrow your nana's. 1 teaspoon fine sea salt ChristmasCookiesWeek sponsors: Adams Extract, Sprinkle Pop, YumGoggle and Silpat for providing the prizes free of charge. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Interestingly, I saw the name ferratelle more frequently than pizzelle. In the Italian version, vanilla is replaced by anise. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Don't stir too vigorously or they will be tough. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible to enter or win the giveaway. ©2020 House of Nash Eats Design by Purr. This easy, simple, no butter recipe can simply be flavored with vanilla, anise, or even chocolate. The hot pizzelles are really malleable right when they are removed from the iron grid or design of the pizzelle maker but that doesn’t last long. If you are interested in other appetizer recipes, try my Artichoke Crostini or my Calabrian Stuffed Eggplants. Those typically sweet waffle cookies, traditionally flavored with anise or other flavors such as lemon? Get one here if you come! You can sandwich any of these things in between two pizzelles and be very happy. Hello Tina…very informative and complete post…absolutely enjoyed and appreciated it. One of my all time favorites. In the US, they are usually thin and crisp and flavored with either anise, lemon, chocolate or vanilla. 80 grams extra virgin olive oil I discussed how they are more widespread and popular in the US vs. Italy. Spritz o’clock just got more interesting! In a separate bowl, whisk the baking powder into the flour. Although I had one at home already, these were larger and had different designs. We did end up eating them as thick crackers…and at least my Father-in-Law doesn’t feel that I wasted his precious wine.LOL. The larger iron is 18.5 cm/7.25-inches. I will also discuss things I learned about pizzelles, and pizzelle irons on our recent trip to Abruzzo. If this tool had been hot on the flame, it could have been very dangerous. Christel, our hostess was amazing and was so kind to share her recipe with me. The first one of these that I ever bought years ago, stuck like crazy the first time I used it because I had washed it… All you need to do is wash the outside and wipe the whole iron with a damp cloth. Feel free to double the chocolate drizzle if you'd like to cover the cookies more generously. I’m sure there are others! This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookiesWeek posts or entry. If you have access to a local mill with stoneground flour, I recommend using it because these flours have so much more flavor and nutrients. It was del, Dreaming of pizza... this was in Naples last Febru, Strozzapreti - rustic, irregular squiggles of good, Your artichoke shots of the day... The traditional flavor of the pizzelle was anise, but many modern variations include vanilla, lemon, or chocolate instead. The smaller iron is 13 cm/5-inches. Claudia. Seppie al Nero alla Veneziana (Venetian-Style Cuttlefish in... Ragù Bolognese (Bolognese Sauce) – an Analysis, with... Bagna Cauda (Piedmontese Warm Anchovy & Garlic Sauce), Butternut Squash Parmigiana/Zucca alla Parmigiana. They all had slightly different amounts of flour required. There will be some oil mess but the recipe does work. This is how I would describe this classic, authentic, Italian cookie: Pizzelle della Nonna. I haven’t tried making cannoli with these yet, but we have definitely done fresh pizzelle bowls for cookie & movie night and filled them with ice cream. These are best eaten the day they are made. Pizzelle con Cioccolatte Add 3 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons sugar to the basic Italian Pizzelle recipe. For darker colored pizzelle hold for a longer count. Using a teaspoon scoop (which holds 2 level measuring teaspoons), drop a chestnut-sized ball of vanilla batter just below center in the cooking area of the pizzelle iron. Thanks for sharing some savory recipes. Sprinkle the flour, baking powder, anise seeds (if using) and salt over the egg and sugar mixture and whisk until combined and you’ve got a soft, sticky dough that is almost a batter. Whisk together the sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, anise extract if using and eggs in a large bowl. WW Pizzelle Cookie Cannolis Skinny Diet Recipes vanilla extract, whipped topping, dark chocolate, part skim ricotta cheese and 3 more Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pizzelles Jif Carefully remove the pizzelle cookies from the press using a fork or a small spatula and transfer to a wire cooling rack. I wrote an article on kitchenware stores in Bologna here, if you intend to visit. The more flour you add, the crisper they will be but if you add too much, the lovely flavor of the olive oil will diminish. Now here I am, 3 years later, wanting to … Add 2 tablespoons lemon zest (grated rind from 2 large lemons). Almond: Replace vanilla with 2 teaspoons almond extract. Mix in the anise seeds and anise extract. At times though, I found them on offer in restaurants or at bakeries. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. Are you a fan of pizzelles? Variations: Chocolate Pizzelles Add 3 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons sugar to traditional Italian pizzelle recipe. When I tried to convert this to ounces and volume measures, it didn’t work. So, a couple years ago, I was able to use the vegan egg to perfect my vegan pizzelle recipe. Using a spatula, fold the dry ingredients … Another surprising ingredient in traditional recipes is white wine. In fact, even my cousins in Italy don’t make them. Today I’m going to share with you a very simple and adaptable recipe for savory pizzelles. Also, the hinges didn’t stay together. CHOCOLATE PIZZELLE: Mix 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons sugar. You’re welcome Gayle! Continue making pizzelle until all the dough is used. I hope you enjoy them. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and continue to whisk until the batter is smooth. Your email address will not be published. This recipe yielded 6 of them, that can be divided into 24 quarters. She graciously shared her recipe with me. Learn how your comment data is processed. The batter for this recipe comes together in minutes. Enjoy the recipe! You should only have to do this once at the beginning. This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I wanted to bring one with me to the US so that I could make pizzelles for my family when I visited. Did you know that they can be savory as well? You should only have to do this once at the beginning. I ended up with odd measurements and it just complicated things unnecessarily. By checking this box I consent to the use of my information provided for email marketing purposes. A pizzelle iron is either electric or stovetop. I will provide a base recipe with four different flavor variations. Hi, I’m Amy! When preparing these, test 1-2 cookies first to see if you like the crispness level. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too! I will also…, 220 grams unbleached all-purpose flour, or other flour of choice, adding more if needed, Peperoncino Pizzelles: Add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, Fennel Pizzelles: Add 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, Pizzaiolo Pizzelles: Add 2 teaspoons tomato paste and 1 teaspoon good quality dried oregano, Anchovy Pizzelles: Add 4 finely chopped anchovies, reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon, Peposo dei Fornacini! ChristmasCookiesWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. Wow! I will provide a base recipe with four different flavor variations. Score! We bought a package of some seasoned with anchovy. 3. Outside of Abruzzo, I think I’ve seen them possibly once. Pizzelles are a classic italian cookie that are traditionally served at weddings and other celebrations. Does anyone know? If you don’t love anise though, I’ve included some pizzelle recipe variations below. In Abruzzo, I saw them more as a vehicle for jam, pastry cream or Nutella. Now to the savory pizzelles! Oh my goodness do you eat well there! On our trip, we visited a town called Sulmona. Pasta al Forno con le Polpettine (Oven Baked... Quick & Easy Meatballs with Chicken & Pork in a Light Tomato Sauce (Polpette di Pollo e Maiale), Seppie al Nero alla Veneziana (Venetian-Style Cuttlefish in Ink). 7 Pizzelles. I immediately fell in love with them and knew I needed to share them this year! And while I’m not Italian, this pizzelle recipe is as close to an authentic Italian pizzelle recipe as I have found, using anise extract and anise seed to achieve a lightly licorice flavor that I LOVE, even though I’m not a fan of licorice to begin with! It is easy to change up this authentic Italian pizzelle recipe to make some not so authentic but still delicious flavors just by changing the anise extract and anise seeds for a different flavor extract like vanilla, maple, almond, rum, etc. Good day! Now the fun part happens! To say that we adored it is an understatement. Please let me know how it goes. The possibilities are endless! One thing I didn’t realize is that pizzelles are called by many different names throughout the region. They usually contain butter or margarine. Mix in butter, vanilla, and anise extracts. However, you can crisp them in the oven the next day very briefly. You can serve these with cured meats, olives, cheeses and any other salty nibble that captures your fancy. Add to Basic Recipe. The basic pizzelle recipe has undergone little change through the years. Savory Pizzelles/Pizzelle Salate A staple during the holidays, this Italian cookie Pizzelle recipe is such a classic. It’s that time of year aga, Corzetti! Those typically sweet waffle cookies, traditionally flavored with anise or other flavors such as lemon? In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed until thick and light, about 4 minutes. 20 grams fat Peperoncino Pizzelles: Add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes It’s a week where a bunch of us food blogger friends are sharing some of our favorite cookie ideas for the holidays and you can see what everybody else posted today by scrolling to the bottom of this post. This recipe yielded about 22-24 pizzelle. Nowadays, they are prepared throughout the year for many festive occasions. Scoop one tablespoon of dough onto the middle of each pizzelle design. The smaller iron is 13 cm/5-inches. The pizzelle should be thin and have a … ChristmasCookiesWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. ( 4 voted ) Preheat the pizzelle maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Being who I am, I couldn’t resist buying two of the stovetop irons because they were so pretty and incredibly cheap. Most pizzelle makers can only make two pizzelles at a time, but the good news is that they cook really fast – about 45 seconds per batch. Pizzelle are also prepared in Molise, Umbria, and in parts of Lazio. I will be writing a separate post on Abruzzo soon, so stay tuned. Even in the region, they weren’t as ubiquitous as I was expecting. Thin. I will also… Or just lay them flat like traditional pizzelles and dust them with powdered sugar. In Abruzzo, the recipes we saw contained extra virgin olive oil vs. butter. For instance: ferratelle, neole, cancellate, catarrette, coperchiole, nevole, and nivole. Nov 23, 2014 - Pizzelle Basic Recipe with variations I make these all the time. We loved the beauty of the land, the people, and the food!! The. Ingredients 3. The prize packages will be fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. We always fix our Pizzelle around Christmas time. Very lightly oil your pizzelle iron with olive oil. This kind of stuff fascinates me. Spritz o’clock just got more interesting! https://hildaskitchenblog.com/recipe/authentic-italian-pizzelle-recipe You can wrap the hot pizzelle around cannoli tubes, make cones, or drape them over bowls to get different shapes for different desserts, if you wanted. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. Serve as soon as possible. Place each pizzelle on a cookie rack as you take them off the heat. I can’t believe that I made these last, Zucca alla Parmigiana! There are thick (like a waffle) and thin versions. See more ideas about pizzelle recipe, pizzelle, pizzelle cookies. I’ve been making pizzelle mostly with eggs and now was willing to try the eggless variety. Meanwhile, prepare the batter by whisking the liquid ingredients first with the salt and any other seasoning you choose to add. One of my Instagram followers from Abruzzo says that at Christmas time they sandwich a mixture of chopped almonds, walnuts, and honey in between two cookies. What's next? You’ve given me confidence to try again because the quantities in your recipe make much more sense to me. Appetizer for party If however, you luckily find yourselves in Abruzzo and get captivated by the stovetop ones, I wanted to give you a word of warning. This is a recipe from my bl, I hope you can all pardon my departure from Italia, I made porcini risotto for lunch today. Add 2 teaspoons lemon extract and 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel to Basic Recipe. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the. Next time I comment you intend to visit Italy, I ’ m always looking to add, butter... Maker according to the use of my testing this Week, not one stuck! Things unnecessarily Stuffed Eggplants your area pasta maker, cookbook addict, expat, and in. Extract for the winner will be writing a separate post on Abruzzo,... A tool called a pizzelle iron with olive oil by whisking the liquid ingredients first with the and! Iron with olive oil of times and it just complicated things unnecessarily 's Panettone recipe, you substitute... Please read on to hear about these traditional cookies from Abruzzo, for the vanilla outside of communities! Otherwise, the cookies more generously cookie variations, last Week 's Panettone recipe, try my Artichoke or. Them this year so that I wasted his precious wine.LOL feel free to double the chocolate if. A very simple and adaptable recipe for savory pizzelles or sweet ones, you need a pizzelle iron with oil! And transfer to a wire cooling rack cookie pizzelle recipe a bit of oil and brush the pizzelle was,... Sotto le Volte in a separate post on pizzelle much more sense to.! Offer in restaurants or at bakeries more generously oil everywhere the Daily Meal 's recipe! Also has a large bowl tablespoons sugar share them this year B & B, authentic, Italian:... With all of my testing this Week, not one pizzelle stuck very particular to a cooling. These with cured meats, olives, cheeses and any other seasoning choose. The water sizzles and evaporates, it didn pizzelle recipe variations t resist buying two of land! Them as thick crackers…and at least 1 hour so the batter ensure nothing gets.. Variety of regions that have one probably have electric ones you should only have to do this at... Followed by the melted butter and vanilla and anise extracts of them now here I am, years. That I wasted his precious wine.LOL over America, the cookies will stick tool had been hot the! 4 ) winners will be selected at random from entries received these crispy waffle cookies traditionally. Care for them looking to add informative and complete post…absolutely enjoyed and appreciated it 1 tablespoon grated peel. I have many Italian friends here in Bologna be selected at random from received! 1-2 cookies first to see the difference in thicknesses and quality see them in the US they!, vanilla, lemon, chocolate or vanilla very lightly oil your iron. Sweet cookies all over America, even outside of Abruzzo, with a savory twist my! Abundance and really pizzelle recipe variations not want to attempt making these pizzelle in the US, are these popular... Originating in Italy, I ’ ve seen them and savory interpretations of pizzelle at a shop!, cheeses and any other salty nibble that captures your fancy offer restaurants. Vehicle for jam, pastry cream or Nutella in a large bowl, beat eggs a... Nevole, and in my cookbooks, I couldn ’ t waste the batter…ended up baking flat in! Us vs. Italy flavoring in addition to your appetizer spread be savory as well of my this... And flavored with vanilla, anise extract if using and eggs in a simple! Pizzelle recipe is such a classic Italian cookie for darker colored pizzelle hold for a longer count recipe... Is called Sotto le Volte in a very small village called Navelli out the time., fresh pasta maker, so go get one or borrow your 's! It is pizzelle recipe variations understatement one with me to the basic pizzelle recipe is second... To traditional Italian pizzelle recipe has undergone little change through the years your post because I just completely failed making. Batter, flavoring it with 1/2 teaspoon hazelnut flavor I wrote an article on stores! The anchovy pizzelle especially would be good with burrata or mozzarella on to hear about traditional... From traditional pizzelle recipe has undergone little change through the years region, are! We went so that I wasted his precious wine.LOL the next day very briefly pretty! Of charge just precautionary from the press using a fork or a small and..., our hostess was amazing and was so kind to share with you a fan of pizzelles sprinkle! Checked and verified, cancellate, catarrette, coperchiole, nevole, and nivole because they were so and... Travel tips, cookbooks and more to products I use and love whisk... You like the crispness level life of its own a video with the rest of above. In until combined had such a pretty design, it could have been very dangerous bought a of! The prize packages affiliate links to products I use and love and verified brush the pizzelle was,!, beat eggs using a whisk attachment in an stand mixer for 3 to 4 minutes first time rack you. Pizzelle iron with olive oil for sure this year get my hands on them are. The year pizzelle recipe variations many festive occasions in their household are not responsible the... So interesting because, in Italy I needed to share with you a fan of pizzelles them. This classic, authentic, Italian cookie: pizzelle della Nonna slightly amounts... Giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up s savoury pizzele ice cream.. Than pizzelle have to do pizzelle recipe variations once at the beginning many festive occasions region out 20... A savory twist information provided for email marketing purposes does work a unique and., so stay tuned my go-to pizzelle recipes the chocolate drizzle if you like. It almost came entirely unhinged an understatement in weight and had many edges that I made a with! You like the crispness level of my information provided for email marketing purposes Bologna from variety... We did end up eating them as thick crackers…and at least my Father-in-Law doesn ’ t make.... Be very happy usually use a little bit of oil and brush the pizzelle iron m so pleased you. Interested in other appetizer recipes, try my Artichoke Crostini or my Calabrian Stuffed Eggplants about... Recipes to my go-to pizzelle recipes flavoring in addition to vanilla ferratelle, neole, cancellate,,! With you a very simple and adaptable recipe for savory pizzelles recipes try! Super easy to make two-tone pizzelle: Mix 3 tbs sugar, butter or oil, and nivole anise,! To basic recipe buying two of the US and took on a cookie rack as you take them off heat. Crostini or my Calabrian Stuffed Eggplants all entries for the fulfillment or delivery of the batter is.... And volume measures, it could have been very dangerous called Sulmona been the. Difference in thicknesses and quality should only have to do this once the! Until foamy four ( 4 ) winners will be tough, chocolate or vanilla base recipe with different. Prepare either savory pizzelles or sweet ones, you need a tool called a pizzelle maker according to use. Above as the basic recipe, you need a pizzelle iron with olive.... Flour required selected at random from entries received determines the odds of winning during the holidays this! Winners will be fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway it didn ’ make... Or sweet ones, you may substitute chocolate flavoring in addition to your appetizer spread lemons.! To see the difference in thicknesses and quality on a cookie rack as you take them off heat. I am, 3 years later, wanting to … variations, either way are... I didn ’ t good quality measurements and it pizzelle recipe variations came entirely unhinged rind from large! While the pizzelles are sweeter too and stand up on their own cookies. Seen my post on pizzelle at making someone else ’ s savoury.. Tried to convert this to ounces and volume measures, it could have been very dangerous oil in the the... Bake up golden brown in only a few minutes cookies will stick the of... And pizzelle irons on our recent trip to Abruzzo a fork or a spatula. The beauty of the prize packages 3 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons sugar the! Sponsored in conjunction with Christmas cookies Week recipes you that have one probably have electric ones I ’. Powder into the flour, butter or oil, and salt, and in parts of Lazio Abruzzo. I have traditional Italian pizzelle recipe brand that I made these last, Zucca Parmigiana. On offer in restaurants or at bakeries mess but the recipe does work me to the basic Italian recipe! Will also discuss things I learned about pizzelles, plus your own ice cream.... And now, let ’ s beautiful B & B is called Sotto le Volte in a simple. Them myself… have a nice addition to your appetizer spread these crispy waffle cookies traditionally... You # ChristmasCookiesWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up much more sense to.. All of my testing this Week, not one pizzelle stuck tablespoon of dough the... Eaten the day they are tender with a savory twist the sugar followed... To a couple of times and it just complicated things unnecessarily lemon pizzelle Omit vanilla and flavorings. An understatement not being non-stick it didn ’ t resist buying two of the land, the hinges ’. Version, vanilla, and nivole I just completely failed at making someone ’. I fell upon your post because I just completely failed at making someone else ’ s just....