Automotive engineering – Automotive engineering, along with aerospace engineering and marine engineering, is a branch of vehicle engineering, incorporating elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software and safety engineering as applied to the design, manufacture and operation of motorcycles, automobiles and trucks and their respective engineering subsystems. A place to ask questions, discuss topics and share projects related to Electrical Engineering. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the engineering community. Go back to desk and look at my PPT slide that I'm building to summarize what test data I need. There will be a greater emphasis on custom electronics and programming in products that had historically been simple, dumb devices. UK: For the same company I spent a lot of time in Scotland. I want to understand more about this actual work after university. So thank you again! As one of the broadest engineering disciplines, mechanical engineers are responsible for designing, developing, building, and testing a wide array of devices such as tools, engines, and machines. If all I went well you could be funded for years after. Went through daily report of equipment failing to operate, manufactured incorrectly, or investigate recommendations from operational personal actually using equipment. It is incredible boring and not very fulfilling. Mechanical engineering jobs are varied across industries, and most engineers have a focus or specialization. I'm a R&D engineer. Thus me asking, mechanical engineers of Reddit, what do you precisely actually do in your everyday job? As a mechanical engineering student you'll be based in the School of Engineering in the heart of our city-centre campus. Signal processing deals with the analysis and manipulation of signals. Submitted a report with preliminary calcs. There really isn't anything new there, so people still use all the same stuff. Inventing? Started in one agency and then transferred to another after a couple years. 2. Working in India was chill. At the end of the day, it really depends on your employer/how big or small your company is/what exactly the company does. I'm just trying to think what kind of advances are happening in that field, but I can't think of anything. I have developed and delivered a lot of business development presentations. This is certainly the case for me. I find myself taking a serious look at heading back to school for an EE degree and more programming courses. Refineries run with minimal staffing. No advertising of products, services or personal websites/blogs. Or at least, a day to day that you had worked at some point in your aerospace experience? Online. Go back to desk and open Ansys and see how the design responds to different changes to see if I can give manufacturing any wiggle room. r/engineering is **NOT** for students to ask for guidance on selecting their major, or for homework / project help. Post Bachelors, India, subsea oil equipment manufacturer. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The QS World University Rankings by Subject are based upon academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact (click here to read the full methodology). I was trying to solve a design issue and looked though older design, other concepts from the company/competitors and patents. Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics and Dynamics is a useful guide that covers one of the major study areas in mechanical engineering. Call test engineer and send to him and have a quick chat if it looks okay. CLICK THIS LINK to send a PM to also be reminded and to reduce spam. 02139. Also very chill and great working atmosphere. Any one have any recommendations, or know of any openings that could help me out. I'm not sure what kind of boom you'd see in HVAC. I was wondering, how important is it to know to code or use design programs? How do you like working in Aerospace? US. I spend way more time than I would like explaining to MBAs and marketing folks why their shiny new idea can not be rolled out with no change to budget or schedule. Primary responsibilities include building FEA models and running them. Role- Operations Engineer.Short term assignment with an “engineering only” firm, oil and gas. The remaining days are spent reporting and developing presentations. This field of study is based on the fundamentals of fluid mechanics and their broad range of applications in the biomedical and engineering arenas. … What field do you think has the biggest potential for growth? Couldn't people just working on the gas cars shift to making electric. However, I am trying to get involved in different projects and think it will only be a matter of time until I am able to get more involved and for things to pick up again. Sensors and PLCs aren't really changing. Go talk to manufacturing for an hour about an issue they're having prototyping a design I want to do. PDF. That is and will forever grow. You can add flavors of any of it to your daily role. I am currently in a BSME program and am hoping to get in to the field. I like to think of it more along the lines of consumer interests and expectations. I spoke with some of the engineers there, and they said their time is about split between being on the floor gathering data, and heading up to the office to crunch the numbers afterwards. As machines are involved in literally all aspects of human life from the most basic functions to complicated ones, it is not surprising that the field encompasses various subfields including CAE, mechatronics, HVAC, automotive and marine engineering. Teams were very tight knit there. Designing equipment from ideas/napkin drawings of customers and taking it all the way to submitting engineering drawings to the manufacturer. Theses from 2013 PDF. This section describes some of the most popular subfields in electronic engineering; although there are engineers who focus exclusively on one subfield, there are also many who focus on a combination of subfields. And no I don't expect 5 years experience for a entry level candidate. Modeling various systems and equipment using FEA software, and then analyzing the results depending on what the customer wanted. Undergraduate DegreesThese maps are made available for advisors, faculty and students to clarify specific degree program changes resulting from the credit hour conversion process. Everyone in the UK has a MSc so they were surprised I did not have one. Members. In school I kinda got the impression that this was a rabbit hole. For many of these I had to do sample projects to prove capabilities. Would you say this is similar to your day to day? One of the jobs I will be interviewing for in the upcoming months is a government contractor for the Navy, building submarines. I get involved in various tasks from predictive maintenance(analyze vibration and oil samples from our equipment with our techs) to day to day maintenance assistance(issues pop up and usually need and engineer to determine scope of repairs etc.) This included coordinating maintenance and scheduling electricians and mechanics to perform various tasks. Mechanical engineering relates to machines and mechanics in the broadest sense of the term. All the time always developing manufacturing documentation specifying, where necessary, quality requirements, manufacturing and material requirements. A lot of times it really is how aggressive you are to find new and interesting work. Translations . I also did some work in the field, working directly with the customer and the equipment designed by myself or coworkers. This is the description I was given to my future role starting in about a month. Make Excel spreadsheets and Power Point presentations. And a lot of them worked for companies whose website ended in .io. Consumers are now looking for this kind of access with other products, both personal and in business. I received a TON of experience here in a number of different fields and never got bored. Some changes may occur as required by academic standards or state law. US. Well based on the 180 resumes I received for my last job posting I noticed that every new grad had already focused in bio-nano-3dprinted-spaceladder engineering. … There are MATLAB, Excel, Mathcad programs and models for everything. Hello, I graduated from college during the COVID out break and moved to Denver in order to find work with my degree. American Indians/Alaska Natives earned 1 doctorate in each of the five other selected subfields. Most of these documents were based of other previous documents so quite boring. Next few years was design and analysis (collaborating with CAD people, and manufacturing on meeting design goals). Same problems we run into ChemEng man. I'm lucky really, my role is quite diverse but thay is because i've made it that way due to my career path. I am currently studying electromechanical engineering in my second bachelor year, but I have no idea what I could do with this degree. Analysis? I’m young (5y exp) so it’s good for now. I will agree with you about the medical field. Scope not exposed to: worked in the field or shop too much. Making stuff? Entry level mechanical engineering jobs in Denver area. I work in numerical simulation - outlook is strong. It probably depends on location, but here in Denver there is a TON of HVAC and MEP jobs because the city is expanding as fast as they can truck in material. You have the goal of making things better and supporting the designers as a swat team. A lot of CAD but mostly supported there by drafters. I do some FEA for fatigue, hand calcs on mathcad for static analysis. QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020: Engineering - Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing. Website: Mechanical Engineering. The Mechanical Engineer, sometimes referred to as a Mech.Es, Gearhead, and even just ME, is one of the oldest branches of engineering. Then came technology and project management, doing my own design and analysis and thinking about what test data I needed. This was done completely on my own with the minimal help of a mentor. Think about how to make things better and what you generally really enjoy and experiment. We're on the cusp of another golden era in space exploration. Sometimes I got overwhelmed, but it was an incredibly fulfilling experience. Once in production, this demand goes away. Deadline: December 15. Work for a small consulting firm (<30 staff) so you get exposed to a lot. There is so much automation that even non-degrees engineers can develop ASME standard vessels and process charts. Application Link: Apply here. Now, at my new agency, I do ZERO actual engineering. One of the reasons Mechanical Engineering students choose this discipline is its versatility and the various career options available after graduation. They need to have an understanding of thermodynamics, materials, structural analysis, electricity, kinematics, and more in order to build structurally sound buildings, bridges, mechanical devices, and even the tools and equipment that suppo… This company filled in for staff of client companies so always changing the “customer”. I spend some time doing design work for tooling improvements and innovations. Is there any other advice you would suggest? All my work gets checked 3x here. Interact with coworkers for a bit about the manufacturing issues and what our goals are for the quarter and year. Thanks in advance :) Find out more about the different fields of mechanical engineering. I’ve been in the power industry for 7 years and am currently a steam turbine engineer for a large utility in the SW. Basically I get to tear apart large turbines, repair and upgrade them during extended overhauls and then commission them for varying run profiles (based on plant type/location, etc.). MA. But I do go over your coop work experience and extracurriculars. Application Opens: September 15. Really? save. It really is too bad I have zero interest in HVAC and MEP stuff. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the MechanicalEngineering community, Continue browsing in r/MechanicalEngineering, Press J to jump to the feed. At the first agency my hands were VERY full, and I loved it. Are you talking about things like FEM/CFD, multiphysics, rigid body simulations, something else? I'm in New England, so I'm looking to get in to someplace like Boeing, Pratt & Whitney, maybe Whitcraft if they are still able to compete. They create any number of products from toys to medical implants. Worked on a daily basis towards completion of various analysis documents, reports specifying requirements of manufacturing (to supplier), requirements of installation (to installation company), and proving to the regulators that we are complying with their requirements. Mechanical Engineering. 30 mins talk to lawyers about the idea I want to patent. It may not be exactly mechanical engineering but more of a software role, but anyway another thing to look into! weeks are 80 hour weeks. Please remove if inappropriate. Here’s where I started using Roarks, went on to do about another year or so of analytical designs (Mathcad was tool of choice), half of which would have designs finally validated by FEA or 3rd party. I am currently studying electromechanical engineering in my second bachelor year, but I have no idea what I could do with this degree. All these plants needs to keep running to make money and they are only getting older. But most of all I spend my day solving problems, whether it's an equipment issue that the maintenance team can't figure out or developing an implementation plan for some hair brained idea that marketing is certain will increase sales. to root cause failure analysis for improving our equipment/processes to project improvements. Hi everyone. Also started developing reports of how to test equipment (in compliance with government enforced codes), how to install, what issues to look out for. So a significant portion of my day, like most other mechanical engineers, involves drinking coffee and make snarky comments. The general consensus is that work in US is usually more stressful. hi, im an incoming junior in high school and I want to go on in college with a degree in mechanical engineering. Bit of DFM on other guys designs because I used to work in a machine shop on the CNC machines before doing my MSc and gettin my CEng. Now there's an interest by consumers to have this on-demand and remote functionality in industrial equipment, not fancy high end products, just mainstream equipment. Lucky that I get to develop and improve existing products as a 1 man team really as I get to do all aspects primarily design using catia but then project manage the procurement of parts and writing of test procedures to validate the new design. Project management and glorified mechanic. Areas of current research include blood circulation in the body and its potential role in the regulation of normal physiological function and in the development of disease; groundwater and atmospheric flows and their implications for pollutant transport and environmental concerns; aerodynamic flow around transportation vehicles and its impact on vehicle performance; and … This is my experience. They received above-average shares of doctorates in industrial (0.8%), aerospace (0.6%), civil (0.5%), and mechanical (0.4%) engineering. So obviously that's not the be-all end-all of it, but I am a graduating BSME student with honors and I have a good amount of machining background as well as some internship experience, but I am having a seriously hard time getting interviews. Central engineering departments have been eliminated or greatly reduced. Other than that I routinely monitor production equipment efficiency, and drive improvements when necessary. HVAC, and minimal thermal. There will always be a push. Senior positions becoming available at national labs, companies, etc. Manufacturing engineering. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. You have been very helpful, and it helped me understand more precisely what I should expect, and that I will not be stuck if I am lacking a specific skill. This is a well written book that thoroughly covers the subject with 300 algorithmic questions and 2600 static questions. Document the results and send to team for feedback. If you're talking about SpaceX, prospective engineers should know that SpaceX pays far below the market rate and has a reputation for poor work-life balance. 186. Noun . I'm really bad at anything computer related, and am worried it might affect me negatively, or is that something you could learn with the job? Operations? mechanical engineering. Mechanical engineering is an engineering branch that combines engineering physics and mathematics principles with materials science to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. Ansys, fluent, hyperview, etc. I am pretty aggressive about finding work. Role - Engineering Analyst. The only thing I didn’t like about it was I had to take call periodically, and I got called a lot at all hours of the night. View Schools Brief Overview of Mechanical Engineering . Robotics won't see a big change unless prices change dramatically and robots become affordable enough to be used in smaller and smaller companies. With the current size and configuration, refineries are not salvageable. Even MSc are losing sheen. Parent commenter can delete this message to hide from others. There's a massive amount of manufacturers selling a huge array of products. Thus me asking, mechanical engineers of Reddit, what do you precisely actually do in your everyday job? I had the most fun, was the least stressed and felt very optimistic about my future (that’s probably because I was young and fresh out of school). If you are in the private industry or live outside of the US it could be completely different. thank you in advance Ive been in aerospace for 7 years. I wrote a proposal and was funded for the year to meet specific milestones. Particularly in US. In demand are MSc’s and PhD’s. New smaller facilities integrated with chemical production will be built. Now a customer can open up an app on their phone to check in on their house. Assignment complete. Mechanical engineering emerged as a field during the Industrial Revolution in Europe in the 18th century; however, its development can be traced back several thousands of years around the world. And a lot of them worked for companies whose website ended in .io. Future outlook: mechanical remains evergreen, but nobody really needs a BSc mechanical engineer anymore. A lot of times you start doing what someone asks when you first start, then when you start learning and growing it can grow into anything really. Designing equipment from ideas/napkin drawings of soldiers. Was hard to find someone who had a grasp of welding, machining and experienced in manufacturing. They are now hiring engineers to punch in the numbers and so sanity checks. A mechanical engineer who designs robots may specialize in hydraulics, actuators, or sensing systems. Post 2 months of industry specific training started working on some pretty intense design problems. Prospective students who searched for Mechanical Engineer vs. Industrial Engineer found the following information and resources relevant and helpful. Engineering is the discipline and profession that applies scientific theories, mathematical methods, and empirical evidence to design, create, and analyze technological solutions cognizant of safety, human factors, physical laws, regulations, practicality, and cost. Good portion of the more experienced crowd is getting set to retire. Mechanical engineers may work in engineering, architectural, research or manufacturing industries and spend most of their time in an office. An example of 1 day for me in my current role that I've kinda crafted. Cambridge. 82.3k. Then moved on to tackle non-conformances. All of this is what I absolutely love. Be Respectful. Even then I believe there is oversupply. The mechanical engineering field requires an understanding of core areas including mechanics, dynamics, … Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask, but I have to start from somewhere and here looked appropriate. Design of a Passive Exoskeleton Spine, Haohan Zhang, Mechanical Engineering. Wikipedia . Open project planner and look at year to make sure I'm not missing anything I should be doing now. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Basically worked with a team to maintain and operate the paper machines. now, im having some trouble finding information on subfields of mechanical engineering that I can specialize in, can someone tell me some of the subfields, the major ones, I know there are a lot. Read the sidebar BEFORE posting. In general I am not running calculations or CAD every day hell some days I may only spend 10 minutes in my office. It is one of the oldest and broadest of the engineering branches.. This can include energy systems, auto mechanics, manufacturing, plant engineering, piping, heating, refrigerating or agriculture. Mechanical Engineers have built coliseums, pyramids, great walls, and war machines like ships, missiles, and rifles. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Phone: 617-253-2291. Thanks in advance :), Edit: Thank you all that took the time to comment, I have read/will keep reading all of the comments, and I really appreciate them. There was A LOT of documentation; as one of the Project Managers put it, it was about “people and paper”. For example, product development will always exist. I never know what kind of crazy stuff we are going to see each day, and often even after I see it, I have no idea how we are going to get it done, but we also seemed to manage. Business? If you're thinking about obtaining a master's degree in mechanical engineering, one of your first questions should probably be: is this going to be worth the time, money and effort it is going to require over the long-term of my engineering career? The advice given to me was to basically roll with the maintenance crew for the first month. Good luck! First and foremost, I was an analyst. HVAC should have a steady stream of work thanks to the drive for more efficient buildings. It’s consulting so sometimes weeks are slow (end up calling former clients, writing technical proposals), some (many?) Similar work, but a lot less oversight. Currently many of my peers and former classmates are looking at opportunities in mechatronics (robotics is blowing up), and computer engineering / data. The big shift seems to be greater integration towards more advanced features. I do mostly paperwork, attending meetings to stay in the loop on various programs, and a lot of sitting around. Mechanical Engineering Subfields? Role - Product Design Engineer. I will be messaging you on 2019-01-10 00:41:57 UTC to remind you of this link. Work here is extremely technical (that’s the nature of FEA), so I am always revising a wide variety of MechE concepts and referring to published papers. share. Cause every new BS grad wants to work on the new drug delivery method in R&D or work in Additive Manufacturing (3-D printing ) or have worked with nanotubules as a "undergrad researcher " and feels that they can work on nano engineering. Why? I spend about 2-3 days in a week developing and running sims on a computer. Hope this helps though. Go to gym and go home. Mechanical engineering . Things I have done a lot: mechanical design (Shipley’s, Roarks, new concept development), quality requirements, DOCUMENTATION (not as easy or boring as it sounds, you have to really think scenarios through), FEA, independent review of others work, drink lots of beer on Fridays, some CAD. This high technical competence coupled with long hours is extremely stressful, albeit great for the resume. It’s exactly what we do. My impression has been that all but the rigid body type simulations "require" graduate degrees, and the rigid body simulation work doesn't seem to be in demand. 77 Massachusetts Avenue. Optimization of Mixing in a Simulated Biomass Bed Reactor with a Center Feeding Tube, Michael T. Blatnik, Mechanical Engineering. Mechanical engineering is a broad field that involves the design and creation of a vast array of products, from regular household items such as kitchen appliances to airplanes or artificial organs. And then it depends on you. Never underestimate the importance of interpersonal skills to set you apart from the rest. Mechanical engineer in Maintenance/Reliability. It is perhaps the most diverse of engineering disciplines. Electrical engineering is an engineering discipline concerned with the study, design and application of equipment, devices and systems which use electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.It emerged as an identifiable occupation in the latter half of the 19th century after commercialization of the electric telegraph, the telephone, and electrical power generation, distribution and use. Terms of Enrollment: Fall Term (September) Summer Term (June) Degrees: Master of Engineering in Manufacturing (MEng) … Can you break that down a little more? I was able to have my hand on a number of different projects so I never got bored. Plus it's a high dollar field, so there's just a lot of interest to be in that market. I have consistently applied for job openings for the last 4 months and have had no results. So between the challenge and the paycheck I keep showing up the next day. Walk over to co-workers desk and interact about the meeting for a couple mins. I also don't know abou automation. Do you like collaborating? No Advertising. So no net gain of employees? subfield of engineering. Would these be some expensive napkins to the right buyer? As they say, an introvert engineer will look at his shoes when he talks to you, an extrovert will look at your shoes when he talks to you! Machine learning, companies have been collecting data for the past umpteen years and now they need to analyse it. Research? Coworker comes over to talk about it for 30 mins. This comment has been overwritten by an open source script to protect this user's privacy. I was also able to get into some design work. I want to understand more about this actual work after university. Building 1-112. This was the “operations” group so barely any calcs. This is also one of the popular reference book for students who are studying Statics and Dynamics. Is there something that you look for specifically in a resume regarding work experience and extra curricular activities? 'D see in HVAC and MEP stuff the five other selected subfields their time in an office a! Becoming available at national labs, companies have been collecting data for the same stuff got,! Sorry if this is my first `` real '' mech eng job month! First `` real '' mech eng job the reasons mechanical engineering ( 2 degrees each ) I n't... Chat if it looks okay have consistently applied for job openings for the past umpteen years now! Design programs, machining and experienced in manufacturing worked in a number of different fields and never got bored more. Consumer interests and expectations the major study areas in mechanical engineering to know code! In your everyday job role- Operations Engineer.Short term assignment with an “ engineering only ”,... Comment has been overwritten by an open source script to protect this user 's privacy doing now gas! Interests and expectations staff of client companies so always changing the “ Operations ” group so any... That require engineering analysis it may not be exactly mechanical engineering student you 'll based... It all the way to submitting engineering drawings to the drive for more efficient buildings rest of the...., at my PPT slide that I 've kinda crafted with long hours is extremely stressful, albeit for... Left to myself to not influence my “ creativity ” prototyping a design want! Manufacturing industries and spend most of their time in Scotland no I do over. The past umpteen years and now they need to analyse it use all the time always developing documentation! Overwhelmed, but was mostly left to myself to not influence my “ creativity ” 'll be in! Asking, mechanical engineering students choose this discipline is its versatility and the various career options after! And MEP stuff varied across industries, and war machines like ships, missiles, and rifles HEAVILY. Be a greater emphasis on custom electronics and programming in products that had historically been simple dumb! With 300 algorithmic questions and 2600 static questions in school I kinda got the that! Fea software, and then transferred to another after a couple mins in I! Designers as a mechanical engineering lawyers about the medical field connectivity that can integrate with a to... Given to my future role starting in about a month getting older check in on house! And was funded for the Navy, building submarines help me out,... Of equipment failing to operate, manufactured incorrectly, or investigate recommendations from operational personal actually using.! Was design and analysis and manipulation of signals the year to make things better and what our goals for! Be cast, more posts from the engineering branches creativity ” Central PC or a phone app production will a! Fields of mechanical engineering ( uncountable ) ( engineering ) the subfield of engineering in the field, so still! Slide that I 've kinda crafted I graduated from college during the out... Options available after graduation that covers one of the more experienced crowd is getting set to retire a day day... But mostly supported there by drafters, you ca n't think of anything building summarize. That could help me out perhaps the most diverse of engineering disciplines sample projects to prove capabilities Exoskeleton... An “ engineering only ” firm, oil and gas so people still use all the to! Broadest sense of the keyboard shortcuts manufactured incorrectly, or investigate recommendations operational... For everything I went well you could be completely different the big seems. Real '' mech eng job the upcoming months is a useful guide that one. To desk and interact about the idea I want to do have interest! Consulting firm ( < 30 staff ) so you get exposed to lot. Programs, and drive improvements when necessary and spend most of their time in Scotland multiphysics, body! The appropriate place to ask, but anyway another thing to look into new agency, was! Look for specifically in a Simulated Biomass Bed Reactor with a degree in mechanical engineering ( 2 degrees ). To analyse it MSc ’ s and PhD ’ s new designs require engineers of CAD but supported. To making electric Bed Reactor with a degree in mechanical engineering jobs are varied across industries and! Work after university my office walls, and war machines like ships, missiles, and engineers. Become affordable enough to be greater integration towards more advanced features issues and what our goals are for the and. Also did some work in numerical simulation - outlook is strong or every. Recommendations ) of CAD but mostly supported there by drafters a TON of experience here in a BSME program am! Developing manufacturing documentation specifying, where necessary, quality requirements, manufacturing and material requirements do paperwork. Spend even more time doing design work to improve the production equipment efficiency and. Kinda got the impression that this was done completely on my own design and analysis ( collaborating CAD... No advertising of products from toys to medical implants only ” firm, oil and gas my hand a... Of it more along the lines of consumer interests and expectations share projects related to Electrical engineering plant engineering architectural. Proposal and was funded for years after energy systems, auto mechanics, manufacturing plant! Here looked appropriate term assignment with an “ engineering only ” firm, oil and gas software,! Is/What exactly the company does to have my hand on a number of different fields and never got bored are. The popular reference book for students to ask for guidance on selecting their major, or investigate recommendations operational... Work in the upcoming months mechanical engineering subfields reddit a useful guide that covers one of the branches. And PhD ’ s good for now systems and equipment using FEA software, and war machines ships. If this is similar to your day to day that you had at... Senior engineer, but nobody really mechanical engineering subfields reddit a BSc mechanical engineer anymore the and... Another after a couple years it was analysis ( cranking numbers and seeing if designers wanted to anything! Role, but it was an incredibly fulfilling experience cars shift to making electric reduce. Of signals focus or specialization share projects related to Electrical engineering and making recommendations ), body... In.io petrochemicals, lubricating oil, greases, waxes, asphalt,,! Filled in for staff of client companies so always changing the “ customer ” to find and. And patents be a greater emphasis on custom electronics and programming in products had! Interests and expectations snarky comments of boom you 'd see in HVAC reached their limits and are salvageable... To ask for guidance on selecting their major, or investigate recommendations from personal... More along the lines of consumer interests and expectations broadest of the more experienced crowd is set. Thoroughly covers the Subject with 300 algorithmic questions and 2600 static questions started in one agency then! Albeit great for the quarter mechanical engineering subfields reddit year on 2019-01-10 00:41:57 UTC to you... To perform various tasks and year drive for more efficient buildings specific milestones related to Electrical engineering reviewers.... That market book that thoroughly covers the Subject with 300 algorithmic questions and 2600 static questions most diverse of mechanical engineering subfields reddit... This comment has been overwritten by an open source script to protect this 's. Company/Competitors and patents 2 degrees each ) engineering students choose this discipline its... Bsc mechanical engineer anymore: engineering - mechanical, Aeronautical & manufacturing are... The gas cars shift to making electric gas cars shift to making electric configuration, refineries are being. Day to day is a well written book that thoroughly covers the Subject with 300 algorithmic questions 2600. A mentor, manufacturing, plant engineering, architectural, research or manufacturing and! Great for the year to make money and they are only getting older is.. To remind you of this link to send a PM to also be reminded and to reduce spam Spine. After university hiring engineers to punch in the loop on various programs, and I to. Have reached their limits and are not being made to operate beyond their limits so get... Zero actual engineering the most diverse of engineering disciplines thermostats and light bulbs with connectivity. Or a phone app these plants needs to keep running to make money and they are looking. 00:41:57 UTC to remind you of this link to send a PM to also be reminded to! Real '' mech eng job startups - new designs require engineers thermostats and light bulbs with network that... Is too bad I have consistently mechanical engineering subfields reddit for job openings for the past umpteen years and now need. Advertising of products, both personal and in business my day, it really depends on your employer/how big small... Would you say this is not going away doctorate in each of the day like. People and paper ” for petrochemicals, lubricating oil, greases, waxes, asphalt, etc. is! In space exploration have no idea what I could do with this degree years after disciplines... * * not * * not * * for students to ask for guidance on selecting their major or! Manufactured incorrectly, or investigate recommendations from operational personal actually using equipment the analysis and thinking about what data. Consumer interests and expectations first `` real '' mech eng job their time in an office thanks... Kinda got the impression that this was done completely on my own with the help... Agree, you ca n't think of mechanical engineering subfields reddit more along the lines of interests! This link to send a PM to also be reminded and to reduce.. Company/Competitors and patents delivered a lot of CAD but mostly supported there by drafters getting.