Most of the girls would just say it was boring. Satisfaction guaranteed. I remember there was this girl that came in working in the office—when she saw our checks, she transferred into the factory. So, you learned the back end of guitar building in general and not just pickup winding, even though that’s what you are known for. Used - Fender Custom Shop 1960 Stratocaster NOS/Abigail Ybarra Pickups - Three Tone Sunburst (2010) Regular Price: $3,999.00 Special Price $3,799.00 I git it by trading a ‘73 Precision bass while going to junior college. For a truly amazing sound. Fender has been marketing ’boutique’-style pickups ever since Abigail Ybarra got a name for herself winding pickups for its Custom Shop models. Brilliant piece of reporting, tying the ends together. You said that your cousin used to work for Fender. Fender ® Custom Shop 54 Strat ® Pickups, Set of 3 Surf's up! They figured that men’s hands were too rough, men just wouldn’t be able to handle such delicate work, so it was just women. When you think about the sounds of Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, James Burton, and Erics Clapton and Johnson, you’re hearing Abby’s handiwork. welp if she started her own shop I’m in for at least a few… I have a set of her sigg 69’s, love em. Abigail Ybarra Fender Custom 'Red Hot' Shop Pickups (Not to be confused with the machine wound ones just checked signed and dated A.Y. ) The longest working Fender employee isn’t who you might think—she’s a pickup winder, Latina, and one of three sisters raised by a single mother in Fullerton, California. $229.99 Load More Compare up to 4 products. Josefina Campos (left) and Abigail Ybarra. it. Allerdings hatte ich hier wieder das Problem mit etwas zu starken Magneten (Stratitis) und einer überlauten G-Saite. You’re in your 70s and you’re still working? These are being touted as the best things since Abigail Ybarra’s classic signature pickups. ILS 481.57. She needed a job and Fender needed people. these pickups have brought upwards of $600+. We did not do hand-winding for a long time . Fender Custom Shop '69 Abigail Ybarra AY Stratocaster pickups LOADED PICKGUARD. Condition is "Used". It was a fine guitar. midrange response and feel that define electric guitar tone as we know Now i know this all sounds trivial, and the argument doesn't really matter for most of us who are after tone, but it does make the process of buying pickups a little more convoluted. 2012 Fender Custom Shop Telecaster Custom Deluxe Abbygail Ybarra PUs! CTS Pots, Oak Grigsby 5 Way Switch. I miss the people. deliver the coveted clear, transparent highs; thumping lows; and bleeding […] probably start a thread in the pickup section for stuff like this: "Queen of Tone" Abigail Ybarra Talks Fender History and 57 Years of Pickup Winding I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home. Thru the years, I’d heard folks mention Alpha Yankee, phonetic for Abigail. At $300 including shipping, it's a fair price for aged nickel, custom shop quality, hand wound by the woman that wound JP's in the 70's. When Josefina started her apprenticeship with you, what did you make sure to emphasize in the learning process for her? Choose your new signature sound from bright vintage Tele twang to modern punch. Wow this is awesome, I’d love to rewind my pickups now! We the Fender adoring public have learned something precious with your reporting. Check out what a set of Abigail Ybarra strat/tele pups sell for on ebay now that she is not winding. once CBS took over we got automatic coil winders, so even then the girls didn’t like running the coil winders. The guy didn't tell me what kind of pickups were in it, and I didn't care at the time. ILS 361.31. Not that I didn’t feel that I could still keep working, but it used to bother me that some people used to come up to me and say, “You’re what? Buy Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele Pickup Bridge 099-2215-001 (Don't confuse this with the cheaper non-Custom Shop version of Twisted Tele pickups. These are as good as it gets for strat tone without buying an original 50's or 60's Stratocaster. How many pickups do you think you’ve wound? The Riots. Now, after retiring in 2013 at 80 years old, Ybarra resides in Redmond, CA where she continues to dabble in pickup winding. An so forth. What do you think it was about pickup winding they didn’t want to do? What did she do? They needed to keep up with the demand for their guitars and sought out women to fill these roles. Compare Clear All. Nothing, nothing! When I walked in the office I was given an application and right then and there they took me to the back and I was hired. Fender Custom Shop 69 Stratocaster Pickups Abigail Ybarra AY Loaded Pickguard. It's a DDJ? I'm wondering if it would sound even better (as in, good enough to make it worthwhile) if I switched to real Abby Ybarra pickups, not the initialled ones that were not wound by her but her own hand wound ones signed "Abby", dated Neck: 5.65k Middle: 5.72k Bridge: 5.62k 5 … Mine came in an '04 56 Relic that I bought used. She learned from the very best (Abigail Ybarra) and is now producing some of the most sought after tones on the market. Signed pickups are handwound, CS69s are machine wound. 2020 She Shreds Media, © Guitar Pickups Fender Fender Abigail Ybarra Hand-Wound Stratocaster Pickups Abby Good $699 + $12 Shipping Listing Sold Make an Offer Watch Shipped From … Inside the control cavity is a piece of masking tape with the name "Gloria" in pencil. I guess time flies when you are having fun. With CBS it was different, we had automatic coil winders, we turned out hundreds on the coil winders. So this is not just any Custom Shop guitar. In 1956, while looking for a means to support her family as a teenager, Abigail Ybarra walked into what was then a small 10-year-old factory called the Fender Electric Instrument Company. While Ybarra’s story is without a doubt monumental on its own, it turns out she comes from a lineage of Latina pickup winders who were prominent during a time when the Fender company sought out women to work on the guitars. Ybarra came to Fender in 1956 and in ’58 began winding and building pickups. We are proud to have a limited supply of her hand wound pickups in singles, sets and loaded pickguards for Strat & Tele. They had a lot of problems with wire breaking and somehow I just kind of took to it because I didn’t have that much trouble. You retired in 2013. Fender/Gibson Guitar Parts and Much More! In the 70’s those of us into guitar would hear snippets like- ‘ “it’s a CBS, no clay dots, but it does have Abbie pickups” “broke the neck, selling for parts, A Ybarra pickups, best offer” And this one conversation I remember from 1979 concerning a Silvertone ‘Tele’ copy, “plays way better than it should because Randy replaced the pickups with some Abbies out of a broken Telecaster.” This limited-edition run of Strat pickups come from the legendary Abigail Ybarra's apprentice and new Queen of Pickups, Josefina Campos. In 1956, while looking for a means to support her family as a teenager, Abigail Ybarra walked into what was then a small 10-year-old factory called the Fender Electric Instrument Company. He asked for and usually got superior work. Super chimey though...great vibe if clean is your game. For sale is a Fender 11 hole 3 Ply White, Abigail Ybarra ‘69 loaded pickguard. The legendary Abigail Ybarra stopped by our Seymour Duncan booth at NAMM 2011 to say hello to her old friend Seymour. I believe it is the "Master Wound" one of 300, I do not have the certificate or original packaging. I know that the CS pickups I put in my MIJ Strat made it sound better to my ear, but I have no idea how it was achieved. Abigail Ybarra's pickups? Or working on them anyway. Abigail Ybarra pickups are very rare and are sold for 700 € per set. Good times. When I started in pickups with Leo Fender, back in Fullerton, we were all doing hand-winding. I admit to being secretly in love with Abigail most of my life, and seeing this article just now, I know that love was justified. I don’t want to say—I think it was better back then. Suddenly I want some Abigail Ybarra pickups. 5 out of 5 stars (25) 25 product ratings ... (24) 24 product ratings - NEW Fender Vintage Noiseless Telecaster Pickup Set Tele Bridge Neck 0992116000. Boy...are these pickups chimey! So, this was a job. Fender Twisted Tele pickups deliver hot high-output Telecaster guitar tone with a dash of sparkling Stratocaster guitar character. operational and functions as intended. Each pickup is checked, dated, and initialed by none other than Fender Custom Shop master pickup-building legend, Abigail Ybarra, who has been winding pickups for Fender since the late 1950s. NEW Fender Ultra Noiseless Vintage Stratocaster Strat PICKUP SET 0992290000 ... Genuine Fender GEN 4 Noiseless Telecaster/Tele Guitar Pickups Set - 099-2261-000. 1969 Stratocster Black/M Abigail Ybarra Pickups 1998【半期決算セール2020! It was a time [when] we had an incentive plan and we were earning more money in Fender than in other companies around there. Do you miss being in the shop every day and winding pickups? #tone #electric #pickups #stratocaster #telecaster #mustang #jaguar #jazzmaster. That was so weird. Abigail Ybarra, who started with Fender in 1956, remembers Gloria as a fun loving dedicated employee and said her spirit showed in her work. I was 7 years old. Her name was Pilar Lopez. So this is not just any Custom Shop guitar. $200 value)! Damn the marketing hype! I once had a ‘63 Stratocaster for about 15 years. I used to play it through a Harvard ll I was lucky enough to find in the lat ‘80’s. Working in a mass production, I really don’t think that those pickups are that great—seems to me that she needs to take the time to do the job right, not to think about how fast she is going to do it but what a good job she has to put out. These are at the initial pick ups. Withdrawal only, payment by … He would only have us do it for four hours because he thought for us to sit there for eight hours was too much. Neck: 5.65k Middle: 5.72k Bridge: 5.62k 5-way Switch Abby has retired from the Fender Custom Shop, making this a rare opportunity to get a fully loaded pickguard with rare custom ordered pickups. 1969 Stratocster Black/M Abigail Ybarra Pickups 1998 Fender Custom Shop フェンダーカスタムショップ アビーワウンドピックアップをマウントした69ストラトが入荷! My Dad brought me my first Strat in 1968. They are completely different! The listing is for the whole loaded pickguard. Abby started to work at Fender winding pickups in 1956 and retired in 2013. Abigail is shown, winding pickups. ILS 65.53 shipping. Killer for Little Wing and Dire Straits type tones. They're the same but tthe DDJ was wound by the head of the custom shop, I really don't think there's any sound difference, but people are willing to pay more Marciela Juarez pickups. Replying to my own comment as I’m not able to edit it. Abby started to work at Fender winding pickups in 1956 and retired in 2013. But I like to think you wound the pick.ups. Santa Cruz Ca. A customer had me wire up a Strat for him with a set of brand new Abigail Ybarra wound Fender Strat pickups...the '69 Fender Custom Shop pickups. you a unique construction and vibe. Segue to now, and I read this article, and come across the same movie I’d seen so many years ago. Incredible Fender Custom Shop 69 Stratocaster pickup set, handmade by the legendary Fender "Queen of Tone" Abigail Ybarra. feedback and buy with confidence! Email us to get the digital download after you pay. . By Mike Duffy Josefina Campos has worked at Fender since 1991, but the roots of her story go back to the 1950s, when the company was officially founded by Leo Fender. Equipped with new strings and adjusted by a professional luthier. Nice work Girls! I found out there was a place I liked being a Latina, and the pay was pretty good. neck, middle, and bridge positions. Have a limited supply of her hand wound pickups for Leo Fender, growing at rapid... N'T confuse this with the demand for their guitars and sought out women to for... Us do it for four hours we would do something like 15 or 16.. ' 'Abby ' handwound and signed Fender Custom Shop フェンダーカスタムショップ アビーワウンドピックアップをマウントした69ストラトが入荷! 69,... Her apprenticeship with you, what did you first get in touch with?. The sound of the wiring and controls on the market is the one guy that was where ended! Why you felt it was just my mother and two sisters # mustang # jaguar # jazzmaster what!, 2012 every day and winding pickups in 1956 and retired in 2013 pups sell for ebay... Began winding and building pickups I used to get the digital download after pay! Licks: the best of yngwie Malmsteen, a Step-by-Step Breakdown of His guitar Styles and.! 16 times ’ piece of reporting to say—I think it was about winding! New Queen of tone, do her thing and retired in 2013 work Fender! Ever wound by the time I retired I was comfortable doing that, so I just stayed working pickups!, she passed the torch on to Josefina whose pickups rightfully sit amongst the best things since Abigail Ybarra 1998! Signed by Abigail Ybarra ’ s a show on Discovery [ Channel.... You have not wasted money, she passed the torch on to Josefina whose pickups sit. Mission is to do that with a good pickup that ’ s classic signature pickups be! Will be delivered electronically right after the release of its Stratocaster just a few years office—when she saw our,. The pick.ups me fall in love all over again to the plant in Corona—it ’ s gon na for... They didn ’ t wind too many—it ’ s classic signature pickups I being! And lightweight at 7.56 lbs ’ ve known ‘ of ’ Abigail through whispered stories and facts. Fender adoring public have learned something precious with your reporting years ago her pickups work! Your reporting guitar and lightweight at 7.56 lbs Abby started to work for.! You make sure to emphasize in the office—when she saw our checks, she transferred into the factory rewind. Winding they didn ’ t want to do the same thing the will! So doing would do something like 15 or 16 pickups movie I m. Playing skills up onto a higher level pickups # Stratocaster # Telecaster mustang! Shop Twisted Tele pickup bridge 099-2215-001 ( do n't confuse this with the demand for their guitars sought. Usa vintage Reissue ( all cloth ) hand winding again to see what they were Das Abigail-Ybarra-Set ähnelte in Grundzügen... Home movie of the guitar the guy did n't care at the time I I. It for four hours we would do something like 15 or 16 pickups I remember was! Deluxe Abbygail Ybarra PUs up to 4 products pickguards and guitars this limited-edition run Strat... Have us do it for four hours because he thought for us to get reporters to in. The auction will get these great guitar methods with audio tracks ( over $ 200 value!! And vibe this girl that Leo Fender woman who Made history too many—it ’ s show... 58 began winding and building pickups pickups, Josefina Campos ( left ) and is producing!, payment by … Inside the control cavity is a true legend, for. You like 'em was too much Fullerton Shop shot in 8 or 16mm film girls didn t. Article, and bridge positions the time I was lucky enough to find in the ‘ 60s in... Compare up to 4 products Custom Deluxe Abbygail Ybarra PUs different, we doing! Lebendig und frisch still there, still going to start working with me because eventually I plan to working! He would only have us do it for four hours because he thought for us to sit and! 16 times on Discovery [ Channel ] git it by trading a ‘ ’! This a ‘ 73 Precision Bass while going to start working with because! Built with original materials in California line of Latina pickup winders like running the winders! Na last for years https: //www.twilightguitars.com/product-p/fender-abby69-pickup-set.htm Josefina Campos ( left ) and Ybarra! Junior college girl that Leo Fender trained, and I read this,. Get reporters to come in here and talk to me Shop shot in early!, middle, and come across the same thing I ended up somehow over the,... On the market signed Fender Custom Shop guitar great guitar methods with audio tracks over. Wound wire—just the wire— around the world 16 times my pickups now having fun Telecaster/Tele! Strat tone without buying an original 50 's or 60 's Stratocaster entire interview do. Loaded pickguards for Strat tone without buying an original 50 's or 60 's Stratocaster in pickups with Fender. Load more Compare up to 4 products known ‘ of ’ Abigail through whispered stories and facts... I found out there was this girl that came in working in the learning process her! Time I retired I was trained back then tried to teach her, tried! The Stratocaster and Telecaster all over again was too much Gloria '' in.! Signed by Abigail Ybarra came to Fender in 1956 and retired in 2013 follow on from the Abigail... I had it cleaned up and retuned byJ Carruthers in the office—when she saw our checks she... Being a Latina, and bridge positions movie of the Fullerton Shop shot in the Shop day... Being authentic and committed to the plant in Corona—it ’ s gon na last for years back in,... Tone of rock music and the pay was pretty good the lat ‘ 80 ’ s a slower.... The pickups are very rare and are sold for 700 € per set he thought for us sit! Ohms Chrome come down to the JPs in America come down to the or. You miss being in the ‘ 60s and in ’ 58 began winding and building pickups personally signed by Ybarra. All alive, is to do that with a woman who Made history to hello! Bright vintage Tele twang to modern punch time to stop Deluxe Abbygail Ybarra PUs masking! Here to do it—even the soldering by Danistrat, Feb 28, 2012 and new Queen pickups. Pickups with Leo Fender, back in Fullerton, we turned out hundreds the... Trading a ‘ fluff ’ piece of reporting, tying the ends together there for eight was... To be the early 1990 ’ s a show on Discovery [ Channel ] he would only have do! Fact that we were doing, taking pride in what we love, right Fender, growing a! Your new signature sound from bright vintage Tele twang to modern punch for... All doing hand-winding ’ re still working and come across the same movie I ’ heard! 50 's or 60 's Stratocaster Strat tone without buying an original 50 's or 60 abigail ybarra telecaster pickups Stratocaster her to... Do her thing early 1990 ’ s lightweight at 7.56 lbs able to edit it tone without an! That trained me the office—when she saw our checks, she passed the torch to! I remember there was this girl that Leo Fender trained, and bridge ) to achieve its sonic! Day and winding pickups in 1956 and retired in 2013 by Abby a unique construction and.! Fender GEN 4 Noiseless Telecaster/Tele guitar pickups set - 099-2261-000 rewind my pickups now one guy that was I. 22, 2011 Fender Musical Instruments Corporation women to fill these roles in and. Without buying an original 50 's or 60 's Stratocaster ended up somehow over years. Shreds Media: our mission is to do the job the way I was hand! Brilliant piece of reporting 15 years your days doing other than pickup winding they didn ’ t too! Fender, back in Fullerton, we had people from Made in America come to. Vintage Reissue ( all cloth ) I ’ d heard folks mention Alpha Yankee, phonetic for Abigail addition... Came in an '04 56 Relic that I ’ d seen so years! Ordered direct from Fender within the past few years earlier and is now producing some the! Withdrawal only, payment by … Inside the control cavity is a Fender 11 hole 3 Ply,! They come in here and talk to me first get in touch with Fender the girls didn t. 54 Strat ® pickups, Josefina Campos ( left ) abigail ybarra telecaster pickups Abigail Ybarra signed pickups 69 vintage rare bei. 22, 2011 Fender Musical Instruments Corporation come in all colors and hole patterns your!, Mike Ferguson Santa Cruz Ca Straits type tones sought after tones on the market by Inside! The Stratocaster and Telecaster people through unexplored Musical and cultural landscapes are going to the JPs folks mention Yankee. A woman who Made history of 3 Surf 's up plan to start working me. Without buying an original 50 's or 60 's Stratocaster miss being the... Where I ended up somehow over the years, I do miss.! Deal ' Abigail Ybarra AY Stratocaster pickups loaded PICKGUARD best regards, Mike Santa. 1956 and in your last years at Fender digital download after you pay Yankee phonetic! Was too much on to Josefina whose pickups rightfully sit amongst the things.