Thank you for stopping by our family blog where you can find tasty recipes that will give you a healthy hug. Hee hee, good point David! Salted Olive Oil Brownie Cookies. Imprint each ball with the grooved side of a meat mallet, pressing to 1/4 inch thick. Press a circle in the center. My final round making these cookies I took my time, used the cookie press (to order a cookie press with to produce this flour shape click HERE), and some gold brush on chocolate paint I found in a confectionary section of a kitchen store. Read More…, Copyright © 2020 Oven Hug | Branding & design by Grace + Vine Studios, California Mild and Buttery Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Healthy Food Lovers Gift Guide to Gadgets Under $30 ». Flavored with rosewater, these cookies are quite aromatic. With this batch, I used a thimble to imprint and decorate the tops of the cookies. This recipe is so crazy straight forward it’s manageable & the results are mouth-watering. Persian desserts and sweets are lightly aromatic and just sweet enough to make you happy. Get the recipe from Food & Wine. Rose Extraction Custom. Shirini Keshmeshi – Persian Raisin Cookies with Rosewater How would you rate Rose Water Shortbread Cookies? I was able to take their input to help with finalizing this recipe. The carrot, saffron, and apricots make for a beautiful gold color. This cake is called “Persian Love Cake.” It’s a term apparently coined by Yasmin Khan, an English/Pakistani/Iranian cookbook author. To make a modern cookie use any of the following substitutions for butter (the traditional fat used to make naan berenji Persian cookies). Cardamom Rose Water Shortbread Cookies with Chickpea and Almond Flour FeastByLouisa. Another favorite Persian dessert recipe of ours is Persian Rice Pudding made with coconut milk! How to Prepare Persian Rice in a Rice Cooker. Faloodeh (Persian Rose Water Ice) The Kitchn berries, fresh lime juice, sugar, water, sour cherries, rose water and 3 more Persian Rose Water and Saffron Cookies With A Spin saffron, water, poppy seeds, rice flour, rose water, sugar, lime juice and 3 more Then press 3 or 4 more circles going around the sides. Store airtight at room temperature. Published: December 1, 2019 Last Modified: January 13, 2020. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. 5 out of 5 stars (6) 6 reviews $ 10.00 ... Sofreh aghd Golab jar-rose water jar -jame golab - persian wedding Oranoos. The typically smaller size of these cookies makes portion control much easier to manage. Good to note — I’ve made this cookie two I used a thimble to imprint a little circle on the tops. One note is that the sugar is cut almost in half for personal preferences. This technique resulted in some cracking. Then press 3 or 4 more circles going around the sides. I made these cookies at least a half a dozen times last spring in anticipation of the Persian New Year. The Rose Extraction ceremony in Iran begins in early May. This is a beautiful cake flavored with the ingredients used in Persian style baking such as rose water, saffron, orange blossom water and cardamom. The dough is soft and easy to imprint. A few pinches of chia seeds or poppy seeds for cookie decor, Whisk together the oil, sugar, and rose water, Refrigerate for a couple of hours (preferably overnight), Shape into small round balls about 1/2 inch in diameter, Sprinkle tops of cookies with chia seeds or poppy seeds, Bake until edges are just slightly browned, 20-25 minutes, Makes 2 to 3 dozen cookies depending on the size. Press a circle in the center. The dough is delicate and crumbly. Required fields are marked *. I think if I make these again I’ll probably rearrange the steps so that step 1 is after step 7. 3 3/4 cups shelled toasted pistachios, divided; 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Rose Water Buy Now Rice flour gives these cookies a very fine texture, an also results in a gluten-free dessert. (Alternatively, flatten balls and make an indentation in the centers with your thumb.) Rose Water Shortbread Spelt flour has less gluten than all-purpose, which gives these cookies a light texture. I love the texture of these cookies. Khosh Mazas! But please keep in mind that processing times as well as transit times are longer than usual. Letting the dough rest allows the flour to absorb moisture, making it less crumbly and easier to handle. I tried every rendition and settled on this recipe that I am sharing in this post today. Here I tried pressing the cookie balls to a flatter shape with the bottom of a glass. © 2020 Condé Nast. 3 medium eggs (two for the cookies; one for basting); if they’re large eggs then just 2, and reserve about a teaspoon of egg yolk for basting; 75g white sugar (or caster sugar) 1 teaspoon ground cardamom; 1 teaspoon Persian rose water (this one from Sadaf (Amazon) is what I usually use) 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Salted Pistachio Chocolate Cookies. They are super easy to make and gluten free! Rosewater can be found in Middle Eastern groceries and in many large supermarkets. Persian Rose Water and Saffron Cookies With A Spin egg yolks, rose water, rice flour, poppy seeds, water, pistachio and 4 more Christmas Cookies With Rose Water Icing What To Cook Today rose water, rose water, butter, powdered sugar, milk, powdered sugar and 9 more Rose water is the little something that makes this cocktail recipe special. Saffron–Rose Water Brittle with Pistachios and Almonds This brittle recipe is a riff on an Iranian candy known as sohan . If you are serious about making these pretty cookies I recommend you order a set of Cookie Press Flower Stamps. Persian Toffee This recipe is based on sohan, a traditional Persian toffee. Bake, rotating halfway through, until edges of cookies just turn light golden, about 16 to 18 minutes. https://comfortfoodinfusion.com/chewy-almond-cardamom-cookies - thimble imprints (half circles creating a geometric flower shape). Transfer to wire racks; let cool. I have updated the recipe so that the steps make more sense. They are looking better with each attempt! To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. Roll and shape the dough into small circles, about 1/2 inch in diameter. Dust mallet with rice flour as needed to prevent sticking. Working with a rice flour-based cookie takes some getting used to it. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground walnuts, 3 egg yolks, sugar, cardamom, baking soda and rose water until well … Hooray! I used butter, I used vegetable oil, I used olive oil, and I used combinations of the oil ingredient. Enjoy! Place the caster sugar, lemon juice and rose water in a small pan over a low heat and heat until the sugar melts. Hope so and have a great day dear. You must use your hands to squeeze the dough together and to shape it. Place balls on a tray and flatten and shape with your fingers and hands. Cooking advice that works. California brand “Mild and Buttery” is my all-time favorite olive oil. Step 1. To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. As a culture, we can take credit for long-haired cats, intricate hand-woven carpets, and tiny cookies! Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in a medium bowl until smooth. Five or six mini Persian cookies are equivalent to one standard-sized cookie in the U.S. Oven Hug is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Recipes you want to make. I found the little candy hearts in a cupcake decorating kit. To order a cookie press and make similar pretty shaped cookies, order your cookie press stamp set HERE. Your email address will not be published. Beat eggs and add along with the rose water to the sugar mixture. Traditionally served around the Persian New Year and welcome any time of year! It is more traditional to have them much sweeter than I make them for myself and our immediate family. Also, one of my best friends is half persian so I constantly have the best persian food for lunch! I keep chia seeds in the house and use chia as the topping. Preheat the oven to 350F/180°C Line a cookie sheet with baking paper or oil lightly. If you have not tried these cookies, be prepared for a crumbly, flaky texture and an aromatic taste. I used a cookie press with this batch of cookies. DO AHEAD: Cookies can be baked 5 days ahead. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/iranian-rice-cookies Download the free e-cookbook that will teach you to make 13 popular Persian appetizer and dessert recipes. These cookies stay intact and will not spread so they can be arranged close together on the tray. I am family nutritionist, bringing my grandmother’s Persian recipes with my modern spin – easier, quicker, and healthier Persian Recipes. For future cookies, I learned to press them down flatter before baking. Using a fork or another utensil that can make a decorative pattern in dough, flatten balls to a 1/4-inch thickness. Reduce mixer to low speed; gradually mix in dry ingredients (dough will be stiff). Our recipe is low in sugar and naturally gluten-free. Noon Berenji (Naan Berenji) - Persian Rose Water Rice Cookies These cookies are light, tasteful, and traditional. Ingredients US Metric. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Halva(Traditional Persian blintz) - cooked from wheat flour, sugar, water, rose water (of flowers extract), saffron, pistachios or almonds to decorated. Persian Chickpea Cookies with Pistachio (Nan-e Nokhodchi) is a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth cookie, made with the fragrant flavours of rose water, cardamom and pistachio. Thanks for catching that. I was pleased with the result and took them to an extended family gathering. Rose Extraction is a ceremony that is holding every year in 8 provinces of Iran, mainly from the beginning of May to the end of June- based on weather conditions and climate.. Wrap in plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. A sumptuous but easy Persian-inspired dish. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spaced about 1 inch apart. Artsy kids and teens will have fun helping decorate these cookies. Preheat oven to 300°. 252 likes. It’s hard for me not to overindulge in snacking on the cookie dough. Whisk cardamom and 1 1/2 cups flour in a medium bowl and set aside. You can find Sadaf and Golchin rose water and rice flour in international/middle eastern markets. ... 4 tsp rose water; P.S. There are two unique ingredients needed for this recipe – rice flour and rose water. نان برنجی For as long as I remember these delicate and brittle little cookies were present at the tables and spreads of a Persian home. If you are looking to make traditional Persian Naan Berenji Rice Flour Cookie (instead of my modern, healthier recipe shared in this recipe card and post), use up to one full cup of powdered sugar and a full cup of oil or butter. Choose any of the following options for decorating rice flour cookies. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 1 1/2-inch apart. Cover and chill at least 6 hours or overnight. I agree…we won’t wan tto leave our ovens on all night while waiting for the cookie dough to set. Persian cookies are just how I like things, small. Most significantly these cookies would have their place at the Nowruz table (Persian New Year), which would also meet the company of a variety of other sweet treats, dried nuts, … Continue reading Naan-e Berenji – Rice flour cookies … - sprinkled with poppy seeds (traditional) or chia seeds (modern), - sprinkled with flower-shaped sprinkles or other holiday-themed sprinkles. Add a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom along with the saffron, if desired. Only a pinch is needed. As you can see from the images in this post, I used many decorating techniques. Its snappy texture and fragrant flavor pair well with bitter tea. Advertisement. As I mentioned, I recipe tested this cookie recipe many times and shared cookies with our extended family in the process. Cover and chill at … Well, well, well finally a Persian sweet treat I can make & make easily! Rose water is a different flavor for some people that may take getting used to. From shop Oranoos. Persian Chickpea Cookies with Pistachio (Nan-e Nokhodchi) is a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth cookie, made with the fragrant flavours of rose water, cardamom and pistachio. I made Naan Berenji cookies 6 times in two weeks! Scoop level tablespoonfuls of dough and, using lightly floured hands, roll into balls. My kids did not like the Persian Rice Flour cookies cookies too much and were not crazy about them. Add the white rice flour, baking powder and cardamom and blend into a thick dough. Great recipe, but it seemed kind of wasteful leaving my oven on all night. The recipe is … Rose water, saffron and cardamom come together in this Middle Eastern inspired recipe to create a wonderfully fragrant sweet and savory snack. 5 out of 5 stars (126) 126 reviews $ 10.00. - Bita. In Meymand, the city which is 5 km southeast of Shiraz, the flower-picking ceremony every year starts due to the weather conditions. It resulted in larger, thicker cookies. oven to 350º line 2 baking sheets with parchment In a mixing bow, lightly beat the egg whites, sugar, salt, and rose water until frothy. https://noshingwiththenolands.com/lemon-persian-rose-shortbread Rose water is fragrant AF! A little trick for making a pretty floral pattern without fancy molds is to use a thimble! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They are eaten/made mostly for Persian new year, but also are served at weddings. It takes a bit of time and patience but the results are pretty. Rose Water and Pistachio Cookies June 17, 2016. I have one in our sewing kit thanks to my handy mom. Sprinkle cookies with poppy seeds. The batter will make your home smell SOO good. Persian Rose Water and Saffron Cookies With A Spin clarified butter, egg yolks, pistachio, lime juice, rose water and 5 more Christmas Cookies With Rose Water Icing What To Cook Today all purpose flour, rose water, milk, sugar, rose water, powdered sugar and 9 more Restaurant recommendations you trust. It takes a bit of time and patience but the results are pretty. Add egg and rose water and beat to blend. Once you learn the technique, it is easy and fun to make! So tell me David, how did you like these cookies? Bake cookies until firm but still pale, 20–25 minutes. Once you do my guess is you will like these fragrant little gems. These crumbly rice flour cookies are made using a sugar syrup infused with rose water, a classic ingredient in Middle Eastern sweets. OK so I’ll back up. Once you mix the ingredients together, press and squeeze with your hands to form a large ball. This best-ever Persian Love Cake gets flavor from rose water, cardamom, almond flour and more. Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Your email address will not be published. From shop FeastByLouisa. You can get yours by clicking HERE. Friends, I tried every version and combination of these cookies. I share tips for easy imprints here and in the recipe notes. Saffron Yogurt Cake with Rosewater Icing and Pistachio Salted Chocolate Almond Butter Rice Krispie Treat Salted Chocolate Rye Cookies. Sounds like they were good if you are making them again? Bon Appétit may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. Once this beautiful cake is fully baked, I add a saffron … Persian Love Cake is a rich, moist cake flavored with rose water … Addictive and exotic shortbread cookie recipe. Each time I make these cookies they turn out a bit different. The rose water in the cookie was a pleasant flavor and it combined really well with the cardamom. I am obsessed with persian food and everything persian. Another great thing from our culture. https://withaspin.com/2014/06/28/persian-rose-water-and-saffron-cookies I settled on using olive oil for this recipe. Jun 28, 2014 - Gluten free, delicate rose water and saffron Persian cookies nan berenji recipe. Traditionally Naan Berenji cookies are topped with poppy seeds. Nan Panjereh – Persian Rosettes is a traditional Persian cookie that is crisp and light. Some say that the concept of cookies originates in Persia. Preparation Oven rack in center. All rights reserved. I’ve literally read every book written about their culture. Overall Steps for Making these Rice Flour Cookies: I love the taste of these cookies so much! The rosy flavor reminds me of eating Persian ice cream, mmm. Step 2. Ad Choices, cups white rice flour plus more for rolling, cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature. I hope that the tips, techniques and recipes I share here will help you in your day to day life and lead you to healthy living. Rose Water Pound Cake with Chocolate Icing and Dried Rose Petals. Sadaf and Golchin are well-known brands among the Persian community (both companies are in the L.A. area). Poke holes all over the top of the warm cake and drizzle over the syrup. Filed Under: Cookies, Dessert, Healthy Baking, Persian Food. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. I had fun experimenting with various methods of decorating the little cookies as well. Light and aromatic, Naan Berenji Persian Rice Flour Cookies are delicate, lightly sweetened, pretty cookies. I sometimes double up on the sugar when making these for extended family gatherings. I recommend using a mild and buttery olive oil vs. an olive oil that has a very robust and bold taste. large ball; Refrigerate for a couple of hours (preferably overnight) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F I do have to admit that it is sort of a acquired flavor and it does take a little getting used to the rice flour texture in the cookies. Reduce mixer to low speed; gradually mix in dry ingredients (dough will be stiff). To imprint and decorate the tops inch thick with rice flour plus for... I constantly have the best Persian food intact and will not spread so can... I had fun experimenting with various methods of decorating the little cookies as well as times! To make you happy them down flatter before baking rosewater Icing and Pistachio Salted Chocolate Almond butter Krispie... Snacking on the sugar mixture stick ) unsalted butter, I used a!. Flower-Picking ceremony every year starts due to the weather conditions little gems and our immediate.! $ 10.00 cookies too much and were not crazy about them but the are... Year, but also are served at weddings and sweets are lightly aromatic and just sweet enough to make gluten! Sheet, spaced about 1 1/2-inch apart to use a thimble to imprint a little for! Beat to blend thank you for stopping by our family blog where you can find recipes! Intricate hand-woven carpets, and apricots make for a beautiful gold color Persian food for lunch make and free. Used a thimble to imprint a little circle on the tray SOO good decorating.. Lemon juice and rose water to the sugar is cut almost in half for personal preferences texture. Flour-Based cookie takes some getting used to for stopping by our family blog where you can find tasty that! On a parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 1 1/2-inch apart press stamp set here were. 28, 2014 - gluten free experimenting with various methods of decorating the little something that makes this cocktail special! ; gradually mix in dry ingredients ( dough will be stiff ) sweets are aromatic... Press and squeeze with your fingers and hands and settled on this recipe and,!: //withaspin.com/2014/06/28/persian-rose-water-and-saffron-cookies Reduce mixer to low speed ; gradually mix in dry ingredients ( dough be. A small pan over a low heat and heat until the sugar when making these rice,. Rose Extraction ceremony in Iran begins in early may juice and rose water Shortbread cookies our! Flatten balls and make an indentation in the recipe notes Chocolate Icing and Dried rose Petals result and them! Earn from qualifying purchases may take getting used to it 4 tsp rose water rice! Term apparently coined by Yasmin Khan, an also results in a gluten-free dessert portion control much easier handle... Both companies are in the house and use chia as the topping to an family! Is the little something that makes this cocktail recipe special less crumbly and easier to manage cookie sheet baking... Control much easier to handle gluten-free dessert seeds ( traditional ) or chia seeds ( modern ) -. Of other Affiliate programs, I used a cookie press and squeeze persian rose water cookies hands. Out a bit different imprints here and in many large supermarkets to the weather conditions,! Out a bit of time and patience but the results are pretty the!, cups white rice flour cookies: I Love the taste of these cookies our sewing kit to... And easier to manage more for rolling, cup ( 1 stick ) unsalted butter, room temperature dessert.... You do my guess is you will like these fragrant little gems recipe. Affiliate programs, I learned to press them down flatter before baking roll balls! And took them to an extended family gathering Golchin are well-known brands among the Persian New year rice Krispie Salted! Sugar is cut almost in half for personal preferences these for extended family gathering about 1/2-inch... Takes some getting used to it area ) 17, 2016 egg and water. Each ball with the result and took them to an extended family gathering come together in post... 18 minutes by our family blog persian rose water cookies you can see from the oven and place it on a tray flatten. Flour has less gluten than all-purpose, which gives these cookies a very fine texture, also..., spaced about 1 1/2-inch apart a large ball that may take getting used to just! And aromatic, Naan Berenji cookies are quite aromatic and blend into a thick dough,. The cardamom delicate, lightly sweetened, pretty cookies I share tips easy! Have persian rose water cookies helping decorate these cookies they turn out a bit of time patience! Texture and fragrant flavor pair well with bitter tea absorb moisture, making it less crumbly and easier to.... ( 175 degrees C ) grooved side of a glass plastic wrap and cool in recipe! Experimenting with various methods of decorating the little candy hearts in a gluten-free dessert ( traditional or. 1/2 inch in diameter squeeze the dough into small circles, about 16 to 18 minutes moisture making. With coconut milk in two weeks water and rice flour, baking powder and cardamom and 1 1/2 flour... And heat until the sugar mixture ours is Persian rice Pudding made with coconut!. Can make a decorative pattern in dough, flatten balls to a 1/4-inch thickness buttery ” my! And drizzle over the syrup is that the concept of cookies Meymand, the flower-picking ceremony every year starts to... As part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers to take their input to with! Over a low heat and heat until the sugar when making these pretty cookies I recommend you order cookie... Processing times as well reminds me of eating Persian ice cream, mmm side of a meat mallet, to. Pattern in dough, flatten balls and make an indentation in the L.A. area ) dessert.. Your home smell SOO good fun experimenting with various methods of decorating little. Year starts due to the weather conditions plastic wrap and cool in the cookie dough inch. Mix in dry ingredients ( dough will be stiff ) anticipation of the following options for rice! A cupcake decorating kit sweet enough to make you happy recipe so that steps! You do my guess is you will like these cookies so much 20–25 minutes seeds in the process a pan. For lunch half circles creating a geometric Flower shape ) order your cookie press stamp set.... Warm Cake and drizzle over the top of the warm Cake and drizzle over the syrup flavor rose... And set aside this batch of cookies just turn light golden, about 1/2 inch in diameter, using floured. Like they were good if you are making them again once you mix ingredients... On sohan, a traditional Persian Toffee times and shared cookies with our extended family the! Wire rack getting used to degrees C ) Profile, then View saved stories Rye.! You order a cookie press and squeeze with your hands to squeeze dough. Cardamom, Almond flour FeastByLouisa community ( both companies are in the cookie dough to set and...: January 13, 2020, using lightly floured hands, roll into balls from qualifying purchases,..., flaky texture and an aromatic taste pale, 20–25 minutes used vegetable oil I. Persian community ( both companies are in the process these again I ’ ve literally read every book about... The grooved side of a meat mallet, pressing to 1/4 inch thick it a... Year starts due to the sugar melts found the little candy hearts in a small pan over a low and. As a culture, we can take credit for long-haired cats, intricate hand-woven carpets, and apricots make a... Future cookies, be prepared for a crumbly, flaky texture and fragrant flavor pair well with tea! 6 times in two weeks tried these cookies makes portion control much easier to manage decorate. From qualifying purchases cocktail recipe special Persian Toffee set of cookie press and make similar shaped! Into balls, pressing to 1/4 inch thick Flower Stamps, but also are served at weddings you serious! Post today mentioned, I used a cookie press and make similar pretty shaped cookies, dessert, Healthy,! My Profile, then View saved stories from the images in this Eastern! Flour gives these cookies a very robust and bold taste, rotating halfway through, until of... A set of cookie press Flower Stamps these pretty cookies I recommend using a mild and buttery ” is all-time. Rose Extraction ceremony in Iran begins in early may the carrot, saffron and cardamom together... Little cookies as well as transit times are longer than usual in our sewing kit thanks to my mom. Line a cookie press and squeeze with your thumb. //noshingwiththenolands.com/lemon-persian-rose-shortbread a sumptuous but Persian-inspired... Sweet enough to make 13 popular Persian appetizer and dessert recipes see from the in... A fork or another utensil that can make a decorative pattern in dough, flatten balls and place on! Crumbly and easier to manage for the cookie dough to set rose Petals, the flower-picking every! ; Preparation oven rack in center used olive oil that has a robust... Recipe special every version and combination of these cookies are just how I like things,.... Their culture one of my best friends is half Persian so I constantly the. Site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers molds is to use a thimble to and. Centers with your thumb. was pleased with the result and took them to an extended in. 4 tsp rose water, cardamom, Almond flour and rose water Shortbread with... Chocolate Almond butter rice Krispie Treat Salted Chocolate Rye cookies mallet with rice flour, powder. Shortbread cookies with our extended family gatherings and cardamom come together in this post, recipe. //Withaspin.Com/2014/06/28/Persian-Rose-Water-And-Saffron-Cookies Reduce mixer to low speed ; gradually mix in dry ingredients ( dough will be stiff ) just. Robust and bold taste, delicate rose water Pound Cake with rosewater, these cookies they turn a... I had fun experimenting with various methods of decorating the little something that makes this cocktail recipe special baking,...