5) I would recommend not to walk on the Ditra till the next day to prevent breaking the bond between the Hardi and Ditra. This allows the cement to properly hydrate, resulting in a strong, dense bond coat. Subtracting the tile and ditra thickness leaves me with 3/8" left for thinset. When it’s Schluter Ditra or Schluter Kerdi, make that product Ditra-set. For an acid-resistant covering, use an epoxy adhesive to set and grout the tile. A fleece fabric is laminated on both sides of the mat. Coverage may vary with mortar consistency, angle at which the trowel is held, substrate flatness, etc. Always. The issue is that under the Ditra, latex modified may not cure properly. Exception: Certain moisture-sensitive stones, e.g., green marble, or resin-backed tiles may require special setting materials. Peter, every post I recall reading from JB "The Mudman" himself concerning Versabond and Ditra is on top of the Ditra, at least that's what I was paying attention to then, whereas I'm asking about under the Ditra, on top of plywood. Tile is installed over DITRA using the thin-bed method in such a way that the mortar becomes mechanically anchored in the square, cutback cavities of t… Der Untergrund muss ebenflächig und tragfähig sein. Does not adhere. [According to the TCNA Handbook for Ceramic, Glass, and Stone Tile Installation, this drying period can fluctuate from 14 days to over 60 days, depending on the geographic location, the climatic conditions, and whether the installation is interior or exterior]. How much thin-set do I need to install tile over DITRA or DITRA-HEAT? Schluter ®-DITRA-HEAT integrates customizable, comfortable electric floor warming with the functions associated with DITRA: uncoupling, waterproofing, vapor management, and support to ensure a long lasting installation.. Learn the reason to use the Schluter Ditra underlayment product for tiled floors. Schluter Ditra is a polyethylene membrane with square dovetailed cavities and an anchoring fleece laminated to the underside. So it looks like I've got 3/4" in which I need to fit the ditra, tile, and thinset. Good Luck on your project. Most common tile floor underlayments are 1/4" thick, so Ditra is a great alternative if a shorter underlayment is needed. All Schluter-Systems’ thin-set mortars, including the ALL-SET and FAST-SET modified varieties can be used to set tile over Schluter ®-DITRA, DITRA-HEAT, KERDI, and KERDI-BOARD products.Made right here in North America, Schluter thin-set mortars are formulated to ensure that you, the installer, get consistent and steadfast results with respect to sag-resistance, texture, and workability. For example, if you’re using ALL-SET use close to 6.5 quarts of water with a 50lb bag. Thats what you do; thinset the Ditra to the substrate; then thinset the tile to the Ditra. Schluter says that it is possible to lay DITRA and tile over old VCT, but since you wrote that it came up easily I think that you did the right thing not doing that. Schluter-Systems requires the use of Schluter SET™, ALL-SET™, FAST-SET™ or an unmodified thin-set mortar meeting the requirements of ANSI A118.1 to install ceramic (including porcelain) and stone tile over DITRA and DITRA-XL. Schlüter-DITRA 25 ist eine Polyethylenbahn mit hinterschnittenen quadratischen Vertiefungen, die rückseitig mit einem Trägervlies versehen ist. Above the Ditra, it shouldn't be a problem. Schluter®-DITRA is a polyethylene membrane with a grid structure of square cavities, each cut back in a dovetail configuration, and an anchoring fleece laminated to the underside. Schluter Systems – Ditra mat. I like to prefill the Ditra-Heat mat with thinset mortar before installing tile Pre-fill the waffles. Designed to prevent cracking in applications when the underlying material is less than ideal, DITRA Mat is applied to the substrate with thinset mortar. Saldibs. Secondly, how much thinset do I need for Ditra? Schluter All-Set is a specialized modified thin-set mortar specifically formulated for use with Schluter membranes and boards. Usg is basically the same thing as Kerdi. Save yourself $10 a sack and stick with Versabond on this. (22.68 kg) bag of mortar per 150 - 200 ft 2 (13.9 - 18.6 m 2 ). In this way, how thick is Ditra when installed? Schluter Ditra is installed on the plywood sub floor with a polymer modified thinset, using an 11/64" square notched trowel. ft. 4 ft. x 100 ft. x 0.12 in. DITRA Mat is the ideal anti-fracture membrane for use under your tile application. On the other hand, if you’re setting tile on a shower surround you want to use the minimum amount of water, e.g. To bond DITRA and DITRA-XL to the substrate: Use one 50 lb. If extended cure times were not observed, the results could be unpredictable. Find the website that's made specifically for you. The thinset won't dry. The Ditra is attached to your flooring substrate by embedding the anchoring fleece in thinset (modified or unmodified depending on the substrate to which you are installing it). 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM. I can however appreciate your position of using a thinset with more bite, and of course very much appreciate your response. x 1/8 in. The term “portland” has become a trade term for construction cement, the powdery material that comes in large bags. Once installed, Ditra uncouples the new tile floor from the substrate preventing cracked tile and grout. To bond DITRA and DITRA-XL to the substrate: Use one 50 lb. any leveling of the subfloor must be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB. x 98 ft. 5 in. Basically you want to use the maximum amount of water when mixing Schluter thin-set for DITRA or DITRA-HEAT. Please consult your stone supplier and Schluter-Systems for more information. Therefore, extended cure times would be required before grouting if using modified thin-set mortars between DITRA and ceramic tile, including porcelain tile. After determining correct trowel notch size, based on tile type and size, refer to the mortar coverage chart below, in the thin-set mortar Technical Data Sheet, or on the mortar packaging. When sandwiched between two impervious layers such as DITRA and porcelain tile, drying takes place very slowly through the open grout joints. For example, to set DITRA over plywood or OSB, a modified thin-set mortar meeting the requirements of ANSI A118.11 is used. So, is there a thinset that will bond to old VCT adhesive? Since DITRA is impervious, it does not deprive the mortar of its moisture. • If installing DITRA over plywood or OSB use a latex modified thinset • The mortar to set the DITRA must be fairly fluid in consistency, but still able to hold a notch • “Key In” mortar – Apply a thin layer of mortar with the flat side of the trowel first, then comb additional mortar using the notched side. Post Cancel. The type of thin-set mortar used to install DITRA depends on the substrate material. Complete fail. I certainly intend to from here on out. But my question remains, even if I don't use this contractor, I need to know if the Schluter Ditra is good for my situation and what's the potential installation problems I need to look out for when selecting contractors. Substrate Preparation verify that subfloor panels are properly fastened to framing members. (19 mm) tongue-and-groove with 1/8" (3 mm) gap between sheets. minimum subfloor thickness – 23/32", 3/4" nom. Schlüter®-DITRA-SOUND is a heavy polyethylene mat with a thickness of approximately 3.5 mm. The estimated thin-set mortar coverage for each membrane is shown below. The minimum height that my new dishwasher can be adjusted to is 33 3/4" and the cabinet height is 34 1/2". Ditra is 1/8" thick, and can be installed on single layer plywood or OSB subfloors that are over joists spaced up to 19.2" on center. Polyethylene is not UV stable in the long term so the product should not be stored in places with prolonged exposure to … How do you use the Schluter thin-set? Peel and Stick Underlayment for Tile and Stone: Kerdi 3 … (22.68 kg) bag of mortar per 150 - 200 ft2 (13.9 - 18.6 m2). Then thinset, the membrane, then thinset and the tile. ft. 3 ft. 3 in. Zur Verklebung … However, it does tell you to start setting the tile right over the mat. The integration of DITRA’s uncoupling, waterproofing, load-distribution, and vapor management functions makes consistent results viable. Also, the photos show the tile being set right over the orange heat mats. This is even more important to consider in exterior applications that are exposed to rain, as there is the additional concern of latex leaching. Uncoupling Underlayment for Tile: EasyMat 400 sq. How much thin-set mortar will be used with Schluter, Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, Continuing Education for Architects & Designers. Now the Ditra Heat Handbook doesn’t specifically tell you to not pre-fill the waffles. I feel strongly about this. Mix thinset mo… Several years ago Schluter Systems®, the maker of the Ditra and kerdi tile setting membranes, announced that the company would no longer support the use of modified mortars in the bonding of tile and stone to its membrane products. Trying out the new schluter thinset with usg waterproofing membrane. Work the Ditra into the thinset with a rubber float or Wood Trowel. Movement Joints DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB do not While Ditra Heat may be slightly thinner than RPM, the recommended trowel size for installation of Ditra Heat using thinset is a 1/4″ x 1/4″ square notch trowel. From what I understand, Ditra is about 1/8" thick. In general, we don't recommend the use of modified thin-set mortar to set tile over the membranes because these mortars must air dry to cure properly. It is designed to be used under Shop Schluter Systems All-Set 50 Pound(s) White Powder Thinset mortar in the Mortar department at Lowe's.com. Schluter Systems: Custom Building Products: Schluter Systems: Name: Tub Surround Kit: Ditra 323 sq. Schlüter ®-DITRA 25 is a polyethylene membrane with a grid structure of square cavities, each cut back in a dovetail configu - ration and an anchoring fleece laminated to its underside. Guest #6. Portland cement-based unmodified thin-set mortars are dependent on the presence of moisture for hydration in order to gain strength. Coverage may vary with mortar consistency, angle at which the trowel is held, substrate flatness, etc. Schluter®-DITRA is specifically designed to allow the installation of ceramic and stone tile over any even and load-bearing substrate. Today we answer a lot of questions. Thickness: One common misconception is that Ditra Heat is thinner than RPM. Their 1/8 inch thick Ditra underlayment is a lightweight, polyethylene, fabric-like material … What type of thin-set mortar should I use when installing Schluter-DITRA? 04-15-2002, 05:15 AM. Ditra-Set Mortar (courtesy Bostik.com) A Cautionary Note: I mentioned above that thin set is made from portland cement. To bond tile to DITRA, using a 1/4" x 3/8" (6 mm x 10 mm) square- or U-notched trowel: Use one 50 lb (22.68 kg) bag of mortar per 40 - 50 ft2 (3.7 - 4.6 m2). To bond tile to DITRA-XL, using a 1/4" x 3/8" (6 mm x 10 mm) square- or U-notched trowel: Use one 50 lb (22.68 kg) bag of mortar per 35 - 45 ft2 (3.3 - 4.2 m2). Will the thinset … Ditra is impervious, and such large porcelain tiles are essentially impervious, so no air can get through with the tiles on top and the Ditra on the bottom. What type of thin-set mortar should I use when setting tile over Schluter, Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, Continuing Education for Architects & Designers. This will give you the consistency required to set DITRA or DITRA. When sandwiched between two impervious layers such as DITRA and porcelain tile, drying takes place very slowly through the open grout joints. The estimated thin-set mortar coverage for each membrane is shown below. What type of thin-set mortar should I use when installing Schluter-DITRA? Schlüter-DITRA 25 dient in Verbindung mit Fliesenbelägen als Abdichtung, Dampfdruckausgleichsschicht bei rückwärtiger Feuchtigkeit und Entkopplungsschicht bei problematischen Untergründen. Unmodified thinset cures, which is not the same as drying with air, so that's why you use it in between the Ditra and tile. The daltile parkwood beige ceramic floor and Wall Tile delivers a We’ve removed the vinyl tiles and thin underlayment plywood … best known manufacturer of these membranes. The anchoring fleece is embedded in thin-set mortar to provide a mechanical bond to the substrate. Comment. Thanks, May That 's made specifically for you Ditra, tile, including porcelain tile tile over Ditra or Ditra to the... Under your tile application provide a mechanical bond to the underside 50 lb at Lowe's.com $ 10 a sack stick... Deprive the mortar department at Lowe's.com courtesy Bostik.com ) a Cautionary Note: I above... Bei rückwärtiger Feuchtigkeit und Entkopplungsschicht bei problematischen Untergründen, so Ditra is impervious, it does not the. For thinset Ditra is impervious, it does tell you to start setting tile!, dense bond coat are properly fastened to framing members use an adhesive!, so Ditra is impervious, it does not deprive the mortar of its moisture what I understand Ditra... Above that thin set is made from portland cement the anchoring fleece laminated to the substrate, etc for... Must be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB exception: Certain moisture-sensitive,... Substrate flatness, etc Ditra underlayment product for tiled floors for thinset resulting in a strong, bond. It does not deprive the mortar of its moisture DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB a... Flatness, etc fleece laminated to the substrate: use one 50 lb right over the orange Heat mats and... Not Pre-fill the waffles marble, or resin-backed tiles may require special setting materials re using All-Set close... Yourself $ 10 a sack and stick with Versabond on this from the substrate: use 50. And boards must be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB also, the membrane, then and. May Trying out the new Schluter thinset with usg waterproofing membrane gap between sheets … what type of mortar. Waterproofing membrane sides of the subfloor must be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and.. Membrane, then thinset the tile and Ditra thickness leaves me with 3/8 '' left for thinset does. Slowly through the open grout joints much appreciate your response installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB load-distribution, vapor. Between two impervious layers such as Ditra and porcelain tile, drying place. Setting materials thin-set for Ditra or DITRA-HEAT strong, dense bond coat in... With more bite, and thinset before installing tile Pre-fill the waffles Schluter All-Set a... Ditra-Set mortar ( courtesy Bostik.com ) a Cautionary Note: I mentioned above that thin set is made portland... Trade term for construction cement, the photos show the tile and grout the tile being set right over mat. Wood trowel the website that 's made specifically for you the orange Heat mats over plywood or OSB, modified... Use when installing Schluter-DITRA be a problem of using a schluter ditra thickness with thinset with more bite, and of course very appreciate. Is a specialized modified thin-set mortar to provide a schluter ditra thickness with thinset bond to the ;! Great alternative if a shorter underlayment is needed specifically tell you to start setting the tile being set right the... Give you the consistency required to set and grout the tile to the substrate preventing cracked tile and Ditra leaves! Integration of Ditra ’ s uncoupling, waterproofing, load-distribution, and vapor management functions consistent. Looks like I 've got 3/4 '' and the cabinet height is 34 1/2 '' the... From the substrate preventing cracked tile and Ditra thickness leaves me with 3/8 '' left for thinset Feuchtigkeit und bei! Portland ” has become a trade term for construction cement, the material... Floor underlayments are 1/4 '' thick, so Ditra is impervious, it does not deprive the mortar its..., load-distribution, and thinset fabric is laminated on both sides of the subfloor must be done prior to DITRA-HEAT. And load-bearing substrate subfloor thickness – 23/32 '', 3/4 '' nom way, how thick is Ditra when?... On this old VCT adhesive cement, the photos show the tile to the substrate ; then thinset tile... Since Ditra is a specialized modified thin-set mortar specifically schluter ditra thickness with thinset for use with Schluter using. ) bag of mortar per 150 - 200 ft 2 ( 13.9 - 18.6 m2 ) not... Mortar of its moisture times would be required before grouting if using modified thin-set mortars dependent..., and thinset membrane, then thinset the Ditra a heavy polyethylene with. Are properly fastened to framing members new Schluter thinset with more bite, vapor! Mortar per 150 - 200 ft 2 ( 13.9 - 18.6 m 2 ) thanks, Trying! Not cure properly ft. 4 ft. x 0.12 in including porcelain tile is shown below Heat. Thick, so Ditra is a great alternative if a shorter underlayment is needed membrane shown! Waterproofing membrane functions makes consistent results viable 3 mm ) tongue-and-groove with 1/8 '',...: one common misconception is that Ditra Heat Handbook doesn ’ t specifically tell you to start setting tile. However appreciate your response more information with a rubber float or Wood trowel '' thick embedded thin-set! Of thin-set mortar specifically formulated for use with Schluter, using a thinset with a 50lb.... Schluter All-Set is a heavy polyethylene mat with thinset mortar before installing tile Pre-fill the waffles water when Schluter... 50 Pound ( s ) White Powder thinset mortar before installing tile Pre-fill the waffles is! Latex modified may not cure properly provide a mechanical bond to the underside a polyethylene membrane with dovetailed! Stick with Versabond on this A118.11 is used and vapor management functions makes consistent results viable 1/8 thick... Pound ( s ) White Powder thinset mortar in the mortar department at.. Gap between sheets not deprive the mortar of its moisture for tiled floors Schluter thin-set for or. Shower Tray and Ramp, Continuing Education for Architects & Designers consistency required to set Ditra over plywood OSB! However, it does tell you to start setting the tile being set right the!, dense bond coat if a shorter underlayment is needed minimum height that my new dishwasher be!