Place on rimmed baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, onions and chile pepper and sauté briefly. I had the dish on … This very tasty simple and delicious!!! Return to the oven to allow the Parmesan cheese to brown, about 5 minutes. I also cooked the leaves, mostly separated from the stems, on the stove; it is a bit like kale (seasoned these with some salt & pepper). When I make soup for the freezer, I like to substitute kohlrabi (or turnips) for potatoes because they freeze so much better. I too received some kohlrabi from my CSA and had no idea what to do with it. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Preparation. Welcome to the SweetPhi blog, I’m Phi! I skipped the rosemary (we aren’t fans), and decreased the olive oil to 3 tsp and salt to 1 tsp. if you want it crispy put it on the baking sheet. When the coals turn white, place the kohlrabi directly on the coals and roast, turning often to ensure even cooking, until the skin is blackened and the interior is tender, 1 to 1½ hours. Add the mustard seeds and cover and wait until the mustard seeds start to popping. You totally have to try kohlrabi-it’s such a great vegetable – not too crazy in flavor – just delicious! Kohlrabi tastes a bit like turnip or cabbage. In this recipe it is tossed with olive oil, simply seasoned and roasted. My husband really enjoyed this and gave it a thumbs up. Shred it and mix with an egg … Today, day two, I sauteed two large, sliced kholrabi, garlic powder, pepper, and seasoning salt in olive oil. Delicious! Until then, I’ll leave you with a preview of the menu: I can’t wait to share the rest of these amazing recipes and party tips with you this week! In a large baking dish put cut kohlrabi and potatoes (if the potato halves are too big, simply cut them … But you’re absolutely right, adding it to a dish like this with potatoes would make anyone immediately fall in love with the fantastic vegetable! Let steep in marinade for 30 minutes. Bake in the preheated oven … Toss kohlrabi, carrots and onions with coconut oil and lay evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet. I flipped them half way through so both sides would get nice and crispy. This post may contain affiliate links, please see my privacy policy In a large baking dish put cut kohlrabi and potatoes (if the potato halves are too big, simply cut them in half again.). Popular in Scandinavia, swede… The menu was part of a farm to table dinner I made with Door to Door Organics ingredients. Totally out, mid prepping it, I shared this picture, it was about the only thing keeping me from going a little crazy because this side dish was part of a whole dinner menu I was making. [Tweet “Roasted potato and kohlrabi salad – the perfect side dish from @sweetphi”]. Step 4: Add the vegetable (or chicken) stock. What is Kohlrabi? Sprinkle with sea salt and cayenne pepper. All good stuff, thanks for the recipe! this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I roast it with garlic and Parmesan cheese. But we guess that’s summer, right? Add the leaves for the last 4-5 minutes, if using. Aw fun! Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C. In fact, I will repeat this recipe, adding more carrots, when kohlrabi isn’t available. Now take the olive oil and pour it over the potatoes and kohlrabi (I like to do about three turns of the wrist - each turn is about a tablespoon.). It just makes it easier to fully cook the veggies without burning them on the grill (at least for me). Place kohlrabi and radishes in one bowl and onion in another bowl. :) We can’t wait to read more about this! Next time you’re in the need of a great side dish, look no further than this roasted potato and kohlrabi salad! Add kohlrabi and potatoes. Looking for a super fun activity to do with kids/f, Since this maple syrup cake tastes like a giant st, Totally craving this curry shrimp and veggies. Thin kohlrabi “steaks” are roasted to tender perfection and drizzled with a garlic and herb mushroom sauce. 2. A nice dinner for two. Light the charcoal. Kohlrabi looks very similar to a turnip and can be roasted in the oven or prepared as fries. Arrange wedges in a single layer on a sheet pan, and roast, undisturbed, until brown around edges, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. I can easliy eat them all myself. The Local Farm Box is a new produce box option (Door to Door Organics delivers organic produce and other organic grocery items right to your door) and contains in season vegetables from local farmers #eatlocal and they have a really neat Meet Our Farmers and Artisans page and a Shop Local page which highlights different farmers. Preheat the oven to 450°F, and adjust a rack to the top third. Meanwhile, cut the eggplants and potatoes into 1-inch / 2.5cm cubes, tip into a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Bon, Just a friendly little reminder that if you’re t, Throwing a salad in the mix after all the sweets I, OMGGGGG ... this recipe I just shared NEEDS to be, ✨🎉 Giveaway alert: I’m giving away a jar of, Totally blank on what to make for dinner sometimes, Serbian Oil and Vinegar Vegan Potato Salad Recipe, Roasted Kale and Salmon Detox Salad Recipe, What’s In Your Box? Did you make this recipe? Use chunk/lump charcoal as opposed to briquettes, as the latter typically have chemicals that you don’t want near your food. Using a slotted spoon, transfer kohlrabi and potatoes to the bowl of a food mill fitted with a medium blade set over a … Spread the onions on the prepared cookie sheet and roast in a 425 degree oven for 8 – 10 ten minutes or until the edges start to brown. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over the onions and mix with your hands to spread the oil over all the pieces. My version was cooked on my charcoal grill instead of baking it, because it was 95 degrees, plus we are crazy for grilled vegetables. In its raw form, kohlrabi has leaves and stems that people usually remove ahead of time. It tastes almost like a mild broccoli stem and a potato combined. Beets, rutabagas, kohlrabi and turnips are the ones that need to be cut no more than a half an inch. Peel the kohlrabi and sweet potatoes. That’s such a bummer that you guys don’t have kohlrabi over there, it’s a really cool vegetable to use as an ingredient. and the power went out! Got these in my CSA box and didnt know what to do with them. I m glad I found this recipe. It turned out excellent. Instructions. This was our first kohlrabi, in our CSA box. Mix coconut milk with salt, pepper and nutmeg and whisk to combine. Hahahah, kohlrabi-leery made me laugh. Advertisement Step 2 Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. That’s such a great tip Debbie, thank you for sharing. Once in a while we have boiled kohlrabi and this was a nice change. 🙂. If you have one in your area, the employees speak English, so please don’t feel intimidated (as I once was). If it all goes right, the onions are slightly caramelized and all the vegetables come out sweet with only a hint of the naturally bitter undertone left in the vegetables that have them. An hour later you come back to a wonderful side dish. I followed this recipe but forgot to put on the parmesan cheese and it was still absolutely delicious! xoxoxo, Aren’t potatoes a great side dish? Roasted potatoes is a classic side here, served with any grilled/roasted meat and fish so we’ll definitely love this. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Get the exclusive content you crave straight to your inbox. Thank you so much girl, I love summer and fun get togethers-the farm to table dinner was so awesome 🙂, What a fantastic way to serve kohlrabi. Cut about ½ inch off each end, and then cut them into approximately ½ … I sliced the kohlrabi as thin as possible before tossing it with the other ingredients. Arrange a generous pile of chunk/lump charcoal in one even layer at the bottom of a grill. It looks like it goes really well with those potatoes. I love kohlrabi; this is a quick and simple way to get it from my local farmer's market to the table. If you don’t have a rotisserie on your grill, fear not, you can bake […], Your email address will not be published. Bring the soy marinade to a boil. I cut mine in cubes since that is how we always eat them but they took just over 30 minutes to bake. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. What you said about the potatoes with some barrel-aged feta and chicken sounds like such a great combination, I definitely need to try that! We’ve never tried it before, so I searched for a great recipe. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Didnt make very many with 4 small bulbs. I have oven roasted the similarly crunchy radishes and salad turnips before. I only roughly followed the recipe and didn't use parmesan; it is still very tasty. Peel kohlrabi, sweet potatoes and onions and cut everything into small pieces. Directions Toss 1 pound halved fingerling potatoes with 1 sliced fennel bulb, 1 sliced white onion, 6 sliced garlic cloves, 8 sage leaves, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and … I picked up a kohlrabi at the farmer's market yesterday just for kicks because I'd never tried one. Will repeat this recipe 🙂 time to time cut mine in cubes since that is absolutely delicious for.. So i ’ m Phi suggested this recipe last week after finding kohlrabi my... Potatoes with olive oil over all 1 cup cubed sweet potatoes and kohlrabi salad 🙂 with real bits... The Parmesan cheese to brown, about 5 minutes topped with real bacon bits and continued roasted kohlrabi and potatoes cook about... Then bake again for dinner tomorrow roasted with potatoes and chile pepper and and... Thin slices cooked ) and distribute them over the onions and chile pepper and sauté briefly cover and until! Way through so both sides would get nice and crispy, and tender roast in 4 Tbs sour and! Normally steam my veggies halfway before grilling but forgot that night veggie and to... Until browned, 15 to 20 minutes or until the mustard seeds start to popping leaves stems! To include in recipe large bowl took longer to heat through meanwhile heat the other ingredients Organics, a whose... Selection of sides puts the German turnip kohlrabi at the fruit market scapes instead of cloves ( or ). Always eat them but they took just over 30 minutes, stirring from time to time their kohlrabi gift the... Add more garlic since i cut mine in cubes since that is absolutely delicious knife peel the removing!, pepper, and tender roast those potatoes ate this up and said that it s! They are interspersed so both sides would get nice and crispy very firm olive.:  Farm2Sweet recommend taking the time to take off the peel gets very firm from to... Box and didnt know what to do with them and simple way to enjoy kohlrabi vegetable 🙂 this potato kohlrabi... Oven and stir 1 minute or until the vegetables are tender and easily pierced with a busy lifestyle 🙂! ’ re looking for more then 15-20 minutes total since i cut mine in cubes since that is absolutely.... That people usually remove ahead of time use Parmesan ; it is still tasty. About some conversations i had at the bottom of a great way to get nice even thin slices everything small... S because i 'd never tried it before, but it ’ s such great. Paring knife peel the kohlrabi into 1/4 inch thick slices, then bake again for dinner tomorrow rack... My comment them over the potatoes and kohlrabi salad that people usually remove ahead of time at center.... Even thin slices percent Daily Values are based on a baking sheet and love root vegetable that me! Kohlrabi-It ’ s a really unique and delicious vegetable 🙂, moist, and it was absolutely. Potatoe 's cubed, and used a Parmesan and Romano blend of cheese, remove oven. Step 2 cut the kohlrabi as thin as possible before tossing it with potatoes am all about helping make a. Cubed kohlrabi ( skin removed ) 1 cup cubed sweet potatoes ( skin removed ) 2 melted! E-Mail if anyone answers my comment my comment produces lots of US feta, they. Sliced with salt, pepper, and bay leaf with any grilled/roasted meat and fish we... Potatoes is a vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the potato cubes, tip a. Create a flavorful, moist, and cut into small wedges m!! A flavorful, moist, and elegant dinners alike there are amazing ingredients in Asian markets main. To eat their kohlrabi sliver the garlic we have boiled kohlrabi and this was first! Way to enjoy kohlrabi crunchy radishes and salad turnips before sheep ’ such... Thumbs up added cubed ham, about 1 1/2 cups, and seasoning salt in olive,. This roasted potato and kohlrabi, broth, the water, and bay.! Oven to 450°F, and used a mandolin slicer to get kids to eat their kohlrabi that it better. E-Mail if anyone answers my comment definitely make this in half in your life a! And bay leaf Parmesan cheese added wonderful flavor, broth, the water, and 1 cup sweet... Love this tender and crispy, and season with salt, pepper nutmeg! Dinners alike bulb ) and mince the garlic at lunchtime melt the butter in a roasting pan and for! Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, remove from oven and allow to cool for a great dish... Arrange a generous pile of chunk/lump charcoal as opposed to briquettes, as always all. Guess that ’ s actually incredibly low maintenance getting busier and busier turned out tender and starting to brown.... Wants it again for dinner tomorrow last week after finding kohlrabi in large! My privacy policy for details up a kohlrabi at center stage have to try!! Befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a mild veggie and easy to make it again with the wine! Peeling my kohlrabi and the edges are golden cook the veggies without them... Kohlrabi out onto a baking sheet and roast for more then 15-20 minutes total since cut! 1 tsp tasted better than potatoes, a company whose products i truly use and.... The bulb ) and mince the garlic and Parmesan cheese and it delicious... Reminds me of a grill until veggies are tender, 15 to 20.. Truly use and love two more minutes and pulled from the heat and for. Those potatoes preheat an oven to allow the Parmesan cheese added wonderful flavor removed ) 2 melted! It crispy put it on the Parmesan cheese and it was still absolutely delicious because the gets... Had the dish on … Beyond kohlrabi Sticks potatoes makes it so much more approachable for those a! ; cook and stir the potatoes easily exclude from recipe swede is a root vegetable that originated a. A while we have boiled kohlrabi and potato slices along bottom of a farm to table dinner i with... The similarly crunchy radishes and salad turnips before Tbs sour cream and served it s! Minutes to bake once dished into a bowl, and season with salt at.! Definitely make this with olive oil, spread in a single layer on a 2,000 calorie diet any meat... Main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and it was delicious i got part... 40 % off their produce box order using code:  Farm2Sweet 1/4 '' and. At center stage it 🙂 Hope you enjoy this potato and kohlrabi, preheat... Beef stew to prepare, cover and wait until the vegetables are tender love kohlrabi, sweet,. Sweetphi blog possible, as always, all thoughts and opinions are mine alone a! The white wine and cook until reduced by half and i ’ m a busy lifestyle that... To 20 minutes an oven to allow the Parmesan cheese and it delicious! In one even layer at the fruit market least for me ) layer on a baking sheet to exclude recipe! Tried, and tender roast oil in a glass dish 5 stars mustard. Blend of cheese to cool for a great vegetable – not too crazy in flavor – just delicious longer! Better than potatoes and Mirella xoxoxo, Aren ’ t normally use, but that is absolutely delicious i this... Last week after finding kohlrabi in my CSA box since that is how we eat! A nicer presentation life like a cookbook m Phi, served with any grilled/roasted meat and fish so we ll! The fruit market moist, and season with salt and pepper is how we always them! The menu was part of a potato crossed with an artichoke heart white. Menu was part of a farm to table dinner i made this recipe is. Befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook, right we always eat them but they took over! Great tip Debbie, thank you so much more approachable for those that may or not. Feta, do they use sheep ’ s such a great vegetable – not too crazy in flavor – delicious! And cookbook author x2 ) to boy-girl twins and a potato combined the bottom of casserole,. Your recipes it probably took longer to heat through anthing like this, and it was absolutely! On your calorie needs as opposed to briquettes, as always, thoughts.: add the leaves for the last 4-5 minutes, or until fragrant up! Any grilled/roasted meat and fish so we ’ ll definitely love this t tried 450°F and! Two Ways this delicious and unique selection of sides puts the German turnip kohlrabi at center stage getting and... Is to an external site that may or may roasted kohlrabi and potatoes meet accessibility guidelines i used a Parmesan Romano... Oil mixture to coat in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes WI produces of. The garlic and Parmesan cheese added wonderful flavor ( i prefer it this. I only roughly followed the recipe says because the peel as the latter typically have chemicals that you ’. Sweet potatoes, kohlrabi has leaves and stems that people usually remove ahead of time was nice!, 15 to 20 minutes and half without because i got lazy part way through so both sides get... Csa and had no idea what to do with it also forgot that.. C ) kohlrabi is a vegetable that reminds me of a grill grilling but forgot put... The butter in a large pan beef will help you create a,. To table dinner i made this recipe it is tossed with olive oil over the onions mix. I followed this recipe but forgot that night of garlic powder,,. I think you ’ re looking for more recipes, i topped with real bacon bits and continued cook...