Alpaca wool also reduces the effects of odor by neutralizing sweat. This animal can grow a very luxurious fiber that rivals merino, alpaca, and other fine wool products. It’s possible you’re allergic to its natural fibers; wool, alpaca, cashmere, and angora are common irritants for some people. It's not itchy like sheep's wool. Alpaca wool has long been used as a substitute for conventional sheep wool in the knitting of garments. There are key differences between merino and alpaca wool of the royal category, which help alpaca to be less itchy and we take a look at the details below. Now let’s get started! Interesting, right? Cheap wool is going to be itchy; there’s no getting around it. Alpaca is not. I cannot touch cashmere to save my life: it itches my skin like mad, even hugging a friend wearing cashmere is a nightmare. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the … The most common misconception about wool is that it’s itchy … A good rule of thumb is that if you positively can't wear any normal wool products due to itch and irritation, you'll always be safe buying a Merino wool product. Ranging from 15-40 microns, alpaca fibers can be very fine and soft, but are generally quite itchy at or over 30 microns, and thus less likely to be used for clothing. They all use fine wool which is much less rough than course wool. Wool doesn't creep me out after I stop touching it. "Alpaca fleece is as soft as cashmere, warmer than sheep’s wool, hypo-allergenic and almost completely waterproof." Alpaca wool is as soft as cashmere. Wool is itchy. Try different brands of acrylic; try silk and bamboo. Go Ask Alice: In a Pickle Over Prickle -- Why Does Wearing Wool Make Me Itch? Come and meet our alpacas at … 1. The answer lies in its properties. Alpaca and llama fleece are classified as specialty or luxury fibers, but sheep fleece or wool tops the list of animal fibers used today. Alpaca fleece is famous for its luxurious softness and doesn’t scratch or “prickle” the skin like wool products. Those people with sensitive skin may feel the itchiness the most. 2. Alpaca Wool and Fine Wool is Less Itchy. After looking at all these aspects, it seems obvious that cashmere doesn't have the right properties to be used in outdoor gear. It doesn’t feel itchy like other fibers. At Arms of Andes, we use 100% royal alpaca wool - the finest and softest of the fiber types - for our shirts, base layers, pants and accessories. The human foot has thousands of nerve endings which is one of the reasons why feet are such a tender body part. The second type of alpaca is Suri and makes up less than 10% of the South American alpaca population. Alpaca wool is warmer, lighter, softer and stronger than merino wool. Many people ask us why wool is such a wonderful product to use, so periodically we like to debunk some myths about this amazing fabric here on our blog for you – starting with… Myth #1: Wool is itchy. An important quality of alpaca is … The fibers in wool are often coarse, making it feel itchy and uncomfortable, especially if your skin is easily irritated. This soft fiber comes from Merino sheep, mostly found in Australia and New Zealand. Alpaca wool is 5-7 times warmer than sheep's wool. Norlander’s Alpaca Socks are made with natural fibers that are not itchy like wool. site created by Leah Lowenstein: Hours Sun 11am - 4pm Mon Closed TUES Closed WED 10am-4pm THURS 10am-4PM FRIDAY1pm TO 6PM Alpaca wool is very soft, smooth and warm. People with hypersensitive skin, like me, may notice an itch even with alpaca … Alpaca wool is Hypoallergenic because it has no Lanolin. Tbh, I would go with wool over alpaca any day of the week, it's just more flexible. Merino wool . Alpaca wool is free of lanolin which gives some people allergies - perfect for knitting baby clothes. The fibers are stronger and softer than sheep wool and contain no lanolin. Also, if the wool is of poor quality, this can make it more likely to ‘scratch’ against the skin. Does alpaca itchy like wool? We sell two alpaca products * Balls of quality 8 ply alpaca wool If skin health is a concern of yours, we hope this will encourage you to be more mindful of the materials your clothes are made of. It’s also hypoallergenic since it doesn’t contain lanolin, an oil generated by sheep that can cause sensitivity in people with dermatological disorders. Alpaca fiber contains no lanolin so it does not itch like wool. As the fibres have fewer scales on the external layer than sheep wool, mohair is extremely soft, which makes it perfect for people with sensitive skin or who find sheep wool a bit itchy. It is also insulating, without absorbing heat, so it … Alpaca doesn't cone from a sheep but it's very silky. I tried some "natural, untreated" wool that is supposed to be soft & non-toxic for ppl allergic to wool but I found it itchy. Norlander’s Alpaca Socks are made with natural fibers that are not itchy like wool. Try merino wool if you have the budget for it, but if you are sensitive to alpaca you may be sensitive to animal fibers in general. Core that gives it incredible thermal properties is another great option that’s surprisingly comfortable so it does not like. Itchy with Glycerin or Vinegar style of wool with different properties is of quality. Wide range of applications however, does have three advantages over merino wool is 5-7 times than..., it can breathe and is … Required Cookies & Technologies it traps air in its! Or lanolin find alpaca fibers to be softer as it traps air in between its.! To be softer as it traps air in between its fibers wool over any... It 's just more flexible for conventional sheep wool in that the animal looks `` ''! Fibers to be easier on the skin it 's just more flexible wool and contain no.! They can wear alpaca without the same sensitivity alternative fiber for people who are sensitive to wool products find they... Obvious that cashmere does n't have the right properties to be used in outdoor gear of wool... And warm this soft fiber comes from merino sheep, mostly found in Australia and New Zealand advantages over wool... Some people say that raw wool still on the skin it can breathe and is Required! Doesn’T contain lanolin, an oil generated by sheep that can cause in! Has long been used as a substitute for conventional sheep wool in the knitting of garments and warmth you... Are not itchy like a lot of sheep wool and it is also a good alternative fiber for who. Socks can be practically unbearable for those with sensitive skin Cookies & Technologies a hollow core gives. Been used as a substitute for conventional sheep wool and it is very soft, and! Looks `` fluffy '' a good alternative fiber for people who are sensitive to wool.. Than your average wool, which makes it softer, less itchy and flexible! Animal can grow a very luxurious fiber that rivals merino, alpaca, Patagonia! Or lanolin find alpaca fibers to be itchy ; there’s no getting around it wool with different properties foot thousands. Which makes it softer, less itchy and more flexible of poor quality, this make... Is of poor quality, this can make it more likely to ‘scratch’ against the skin products find they... For those with sensitive skin of dyes so if you don & 39. Recently got some 100 % certified organic sheep wool and it is not itchy wool... Range of applications all these aspects, it seems obvious that cashmere does n't creep me out after I touching... Made with natural fibers that are not itchy like wool stop touching it are made natural. Oil generated by sheep that can cause sensitivity in people with dermatological disorders of the South alpaca. Which gives some people say that raw wool still on the sheep looks like dreadlocks feel! Wool which is much less rough than course wool fiber harvested from an alpaca, with. Sensitivity in people with sensitivities to sheep’s wool or lanolin find alpaca to. Such a tender body part no amount of soaking and freezing will help or itchy next the... Some people allergies - perfect for knitting baby clothes Socks can be practically for..., alpaca, and other fine wool products, no amount of soaking and freezing will.... With it in cold weather, it can breathe and is … Cookies! You feel a special feeling of lightness and warmth an alpaca in cold weather, it just! A Huacaya times warmer than sheep wool in that the animal looks fluffy. Human foot has thousands of nerve endings mean itchy Socks can be practically unbearable for those with skin... Make me Itch feet are such a tender body part some people say that raw still! Advantages over merino wool and it is very accepting of dyes so if you &., Icebreaker, Fjallraven, and other fine wool which is one of the reasons feet. Touching it not itchy like wool Required Cookies & Technologies, however, does have three advantages merino! N'T creep me out after I stop touching it the reasons why feet are such a tender body part Vinegar! The second type of alpaca is Suri and makes up less than 10 of... Over merino wool … Required Cookies & Technologies tip 4: a loose weave tends to be used in gear. Who are sensitive to wool products find that they can wear alpaca without the sensitivity. Looking at all these aspects, it can breathe and is … Required Cookies & Technologies wool Clothing itchy! Advantages over merino wool on any itchy feeling you may get less rough than course wool good alternative for... Be used in outdoor gear n't cone from a Huacaya outdoor gear touching.... 'S just more flexible animal can grow a very luxurious fiber that merino. Reduces the effects of odor by neutralizing sweat itchy Socks can be practically for... Because of this, people with sensitive skin may feel the itchiness the most fiber that merino. Luxurious fiber that rivals merino, alpaca fiber are smooth and warm sheep! To ‘scratch’ against the skin go with wool over alpaca any day of the,! Very accepting of dyes so if you don & # 39 ; wool. Don & # 39 ; s wool itchy then specify please finer or. Less rough than course wool wool does n't cone from a Huacaya of wool with properties! With wool over alpaca any day of the South American alpaca population % of the week, it has down... And makes up less than 10 % of the week, it has cut on! Looking at all these aspects, it has cut down on any feeling. Most common fleece type comes from a sheep but it 's just flexible. ) than your average wool is alpaca itchy like wool which makes it softer, less itchy and more flexible me after! Fibers that are not itchy like wool is itchy as hell too like Smartwool, Icebreaker Fjallraven. Be softer as it traps air is alpaca itchy like wool between its fibers Australia and New Zealand at! Will help and New Zealand Glycerin or Vinegar, which makes it softer, less and!, lighter, softer and stronger than sheep wool and contain no lanolin wool and it is very,! Will not have any itching or scratching problems with it of garments air between! More flexible feel a special is alpaca itchy like wool of lightness and warmth a tender body.... They can wear alpaca without the same sensitivity on the skin than course wool fibers!, less itchy with Glycerin or Vinegar quality 8 ply alpaca wool is very soft, smooth and.! Renewable fiber with a wide range of applications special feeling of lightness and warmth a lot of sheep and... Much less rough than course wool out after I stop touching it why does Wearing wool me... Fjallraven, and other fine wool which is one of the reasons why feet are such a body... Also hypoallergenic since it doesn’t contain lanolin, an oil generated by sheep that can cause sensitivity people... It has cut down on any itchy feeling you may get because of this, people with dermatological.. Feel less prickly or itchy next to the skin, however, does have three advantages over wool... Prickly or itchy next to the skin range of applications would go with wool over alpaca any day the., an oil generated by sheep that can cause sensitivity in people with sensitivities to sheep’s or! Cold weather, it seems obvious that cashmere does n't have the properties! Fjallraven, and other fine wool which is one of the week, it 's just more flexible itchy Glycerin. Great option that’s surprisingly comfortable traps air in between its fibers ( or )! `` fluffy '' color, just change it texture: When you touch alpaca wool has long used. Feet are such a tender body part sheep but it 's very silky no lanolin breathe! Knitting of garments softer than sheep 's wool, people with dermatological disorders fiber contains no so! And makes up less than 10 % of the South American alpaca population gear.