If you have a peanut allergy be sure to avoid the peanut sauce. 2 Pierce each potato several times with a fork or sharp knife. The potato skins are a delicious snack, and they're always a hit. Not only is it possible to eat purple potatoes with the skin on, it is healthy. Grab your discarded potato skins. I’ve worked for years to learn the technique to making a wholly edible spud, and I’ve finally found the technique that I love best. But, you’d have to eat much more than a single potato to feel ill. We use russet potatoes as the skins hold up well (but save the skins from baked sweet potatoes, because you can eat sweet potato skins and they’re amazing in this recipe too)! Remove the pan and allow to cool until you can handle the potatoes. Yes. All rights reserved. Advertisement Step 2 Pierce potatoes with a fork. Russet potatoes are considered the best potato for baking because their interior gets a fluffy texture and they can develop a crisp skin. Cut in half horizontally. That means that eating a 16-ounce (450 g) potato that has surpassed the acceptable level of 20 mg solanine per 3.5 ounces (100 g) would be enough to make a … An allergic reaction can be fatal. it will convert the skin to Solanine, which if ingested in large quantities can be toxic. When you eat a baked potato with the skin on, it's a healthy diet addition. Directions Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Serve these Crispy Loaded Potato Skins alongside Mini Crescent Dogs, Philly Cheesesteak Dip and a Pepperoni Stromboli Ring for the perfect party munchies.. My all-time favorite restaurant style appetizer has to be loaded potato skins. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Most potatoes are given a chemical anti-germination treatment to stop them sprouting before we eat them. If the potato skins are cooked then yes you can give them to your dog in moderation. Solanine poisoning leads to gastrointestinal upset, difficulty in breathing, and heart problems. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Fill with cheddar cheese and bacon. Serve. Eat the skin to capture all the natural nutrition of a russet potato. References. The potato skin has more nutrients than the interior of the potato. Bake 8 minutes or until crisp and bubbly. While popularly eaten in restaurants and pubs, these snacks are also commonly made at home. You can make your own peanut sauce from scratch or buy some premade at your local Asian grocery. Even if they don’t have much (or any) potato flesh left on them, the skins alone are full of potato goodness, and, once roasted, taste something like a potato chip or a French fry, but with even more flavor. Brush outside and inside of skins with melted butter. I have never cared for loaded potato skins . © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Green potato poisoning happens when a canine eats too much solanine present in the potato skins, raw potatoes, and the foliage. But, bitter potato skin is only the most benign reason not to eat spuds when the potato skin looks green. Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the insides making the “skins.” Leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch of potato on the inside of the skins. You should always remove the stems, shoots and green parts of the potato plant before cooking and eating them or serving them to your pet. First, bake some small Russet potatoes for about an hour, or until softened. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. These baked potato skins include a combination of shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions. 1. Loaded Potato Skins. Loaded Potato Skins are an easy appetizer made with the crispy skins of a baked potato and filled with bacon, cheese, sour cream, and chives!. Close the lead and set the timer for 25-30 minutes. If you do happen to eat an apple skin or apple seeds, immediately proceed to the nearest toilet and vomit the toxins out. When left for too long, the potato skin will start to sag, develop spots and wrinkles. Remove from heat. Deep fried crispy potato skins … Baked potatoes are a healthy and versatile meal. Brush or rub olive oil all over the potato skins… Happy not to have the deep fry the skins as I saw in another recipe. If they are raw do not feed them to your dog. With crispy potato skins and baked potatoes seen as a luxury, I wondered what research has been done on the health risks of eating potato skins and … Using a spoon, scoop out the … wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder, and toss until evenly coated. Brush both sides of potatoes with oil and season insides with salt and pepper; … How to Make Potato Skins Better Than Any Restaurant! This easy potato skin recipe is ready to eat in half the time of most loaded potato recipes. This includes russets, gold and blue potatoes, all kinds. When cool enough to handle, halve potatoes lengthwise and scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4 inch flesh still attached to skins. Directions Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. 3 Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Baked Idaho® Potato with salsa makes for a low calorie healthy lunch, try it! This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where I’m a contributor. The green skin on potatoes comes from chlorophyll pigmentation. Bake 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. These are crispy potato skins made easy right in your own oven. Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake... 3 Slice each potato in half lengthwise. This is a plant defense against pests, but the compounds are poisonous to humans as well. Try some bacon with this dish to add some protein and a little extra flavor. Don't know about potato skins, but I know you should never eat apple skins. These nutrients are being studied for their potential to protect the body from cancer, heart disease and other illnesses, the nutrition academy reports. You can also wrap the potato in foil to create a softer skin and make sure it stays warmer for longer. However, when potatoes go bad, they become unsafe to eat. Stream your favorite Discovery shows all in one spot starting on January 4. The skin of a potato ages the same way as human skin does. Transfer to a wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, cholesterol, and more for Potato Skins (Four Cheese and Pepperoni - TGI Friday's).