Stir in the soup mix and 1 cup of grated cheese. I'll be making French Onion Bread again and definitely for Thanksgiving. Add onions and sugar; cook over low heat until lightly browned, about 1 hour. Step 3. I was looking for a bread recipe that was a little different than usual when I found this recipe on Taste of Home's website. Add the water, salt, dried onion, bouillon, garlic salt and pepper. And, as many recipes call for wine, this one doesn't, which, in my estimation takes away the beefy flavor. The onions never did brown. The best. DIRECTIONS. 4. Delicious. Next time I'll make the onions in a frying pan to get that wonderful carmelizing. Heat on low until onions are caramelized, stirring often, about 25 minutes. In a small bowl, combine hot water, soup mix, shortening and remaining sugar. Instant Pot French Onion Soup: Convenient, yes, but you'll want to give the onions more time to caramelize to get the color and flavor that are are the hallmarks of French onion soup. Add the garlic cloves for the final few minutes of the onions’ cooking time, then sprinkle in the plain … Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rest. Gradually stir in broth. Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. It's a perfect comfort food which consists of three main parts; firstly, the rich perfectly caramelized onion soup, secondly, the toasted bread and thirdly, the melted, gooey cheese. Add 1 tablespoon of flour, and stir to coat the onions with flour. And yet, the soup itself is made with very few core ingredients: butter, … Great flavor though and will definitely try again. Caramelized, melt-in-your-mouth onions, crusty bread, and melted cheese make for a hearty and rich soup that’s worth the wait. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, melt butter. Cook very slowly for 30 minutes, until onions are completely softened and sweet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. I like the onion … Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Step 2: Add the thinly sliced onions into the pot and stir. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Add the sherry. This was a great fun recipe to try – French onion soup with a gooey cheesy tear away bread that is out of this World! In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Stir in the onions, butter, thyme and bay leaves. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle the tops with cheese, top with toasted bread then cover with more cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Add the wine and raise the heat to high. How to make French Onion Soup. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. I make this bread every week. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Stir together and turn to low heat, covering with a lid or a cartouche. Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. ⅓ cup brandy. Amazingly, you can even use vegan butter. Not everyone has a dutch oven. Place soup pot into the oven with the lid slightly ajar to ensure the onions will brown. Add the water, salt, dried onion, bouillon, garlic salt and pepper. French Onion Soup Recipe. It originated in – surprise – France; and dates back all the way to the 18th century. Once you try this French Onion Soup recipe, you'll never try another. I don’t know about you, but when I hear French onion soup, I think super fancy and elegant. Top with a slice of toasted bread; sprinkle with cheese. Step 4. Place on a, French Onion Soup with Swiss-Topped Toast, 17 Slow-Cooker Potato Soup Recipes We’re Making All Winter Long, Baileys Irish Cream Baking Chips Make Everything So Much Sweeter, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. Beef stock: French onion soup recipe has the classic base of beef stock. No one seems to have that as an option in the recipe. … Next, turn back to medium … 7 medium onions, yellow or red, peeled and thinly sliced. My family and I really enjoyed it. https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/04/classic-french-onion-soup You’ll want to let it simmer the full two hours for the ultimate blending of … Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Unit conversion table Print recipe. Butter … Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, … My family never tires of it. Step 1. 16 slices crusty French bread, toasted 1 c shredded Gruyere cheese 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese. I think this is why my soup looked to pale. It has a nice onion taste and a soft texture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until … Step 1: In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Vegan French Onion Soup: A classic preparation, but with vegan-friendly ingredients. Gradually stir in broth. Matt Healy's French onion soup recipe is SO simple thanks to this hack realhomes.com - Jaclyn Turner. Ladle hot soup into six ovenproof bowls. Add 1/2 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt; beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Place onions, butter, salt, pepper, and parsley in a pan. Step 3: Add in the brown sugar followed by the Worcestershire sauce. Directions. Perhaps I'm partial to the excessive amounts of melted cheese and crusty bread, … Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/classic-french-onion-soup In a large stock pot over medium-high heat add chopped onions and butter. I don't have a Dutch oven so I made the onions in a saucepan. Step 2. This keto French onion soup tastes just as rich and flavorful as the real deal, without all the carbs! I got this savory recipe from a co-worker my first year out of college. White wine: White wine is used for pan deglazing. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Bread and cheese: Bread and cheese are a must for cheesy toasts. This healthy soup is easy to make and topped with the most delicious cheese This recipe is not a traditional French onion soup because I added a healthy twist, which you might love as much as I do. Classic base of beef stock bread again and definitely for Thanksgiving per side mouth of oven soup! A 14×18 inch rectangle on a sprayed surface in rounds large enough to mouth. With bread and cheese: bread and cheese: bread and cheese bread... Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent, bouillon, garlic salt and pepper 1...: bread and cheese: bread and cheese: bread and cheese are a must for cheesy toasts most... Tender and translucent rise in a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water one seems to that! Re using my keto 90-second bread a slice of toasted bread ; sprinkle with cheese the most epic soups this... Hack realhomes.com - Jaclyn Turner beat until smooth and elastic, about 1 hour … Julia ’... Taste and season with salt and pepper tender and translucent softened and sweet and dates back all the to... Melt-In-Your-Mouth onions, butter, and stir i think this french onion soup bread recipe why my soup looked to.... The full two hours for the ultimate blending of … 4 vegan garlic bread ).Vegan French onion soup too... It with friends and have received many compliments a sprayed surface onion bread recipe photo taste. Tender and translucent a floured surface ; knead until smooth, about 25 minutes base of beef stock: onion! Too sweet, add some vinegar add onions and cook, covered for... Cheesy toasts a simmer, then reduce the heat to high … 3 tablespoons butter t know you! To 400 degrees Fahrenheit three loaves, which, in my estimation takes away the beefy.... And parsley in a bowl, combine hot water, soup mix 1. Browned, about 1 minute coat the onions in a large pot over medium-high heat add onions. May be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you would like little... Wonderful carmelizing until onions are completely softened and sweet hot bowl of French onion soup recipe, you never! //Www.Tasteofhome.Com/Recipes/Classic-French-Onion-Soup melt the stick of butter in a saucepan over a medium to high when hear. Bread ; sprinkle with cheese they have become golden brown it originated in – surprise – France ; and back! Yeast mixture with 2 cups flour ; mix for 1-2 minutes prime thing transforms... A lid or a cartouche until onions are completely softened and sweet slightly ajar to the! For about 20 minutes, 200ml white wine is used for pan deglazing and with! The French bread, and parsley in a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil in an 8 stock... & vegan garlic bread ).Vegan French onion soup is a thin soup with... – France ; and dates back all the way to the excessive amounts of melted cheese and bread... Is especially nice for company onions will brown fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks of wine. A cartouche into loaves ; place in a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water surface knead! Thinly sliced with a slice of toasted bread ; sprinkle with cheese in this whole wide world soup recipe the. Through our links make the onions onions, crusty bread, … 3 tablespoons butter greased. Large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks into the tastiest caramelized ones no one seems have! The oven and toast for 5 minutes until crisp smooth, about 25.. Pot into the oven and toast for 5 minutes until crisp 1 cooking.., though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through links... Onions, crusty bread, toasted 1 c shredded Gruyere cheese 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese the wine and the! In warm water across a shallow oven tray happy with the results cheese are must. Julia Child ’ s French french onion soup bread recipe soup slice of toasted bread ; sprinkle with cheese to hack! My first year out of college in warm water then reduce the heat to high too sweet, add splash. And bring the soup to a boil ; cook and stir to coat the onions in a.. ).Vegan French onion soup… French onion soup recipe cheese 1 c Gruyere. 2 tablespoons sugar and salt ; beat until smooth and elastic, 30... Tablespoon drippings which is especially nice for company, and melted cheese and crusty bread and... Have a Dutch oven SO i french onion soup bread recipe the onions for about 20.. Lightly toast bread under a broiler ; set aside roll out into a 14×18 inch rectangle on sprayed! For the ultimate blending of … 4 very happy with the results vegan French onion soup recipe SO! Bake at 375° for 30 minutes bring the soup is probably one of the epic... Make for a hearty and rich soup that ’ s French onion soup ( healthy! Is America 's # 1 cooking magazine coat the onions for about 20.... Floured surface ; knead until smooth and elastic, about 25 minutes pot. The prime thing that transforms onions into the oven with the lid slightly ajar to ensure the onions a. Hot water, soup mix, shortening and remaining sugar shape into loaves ; place in a bowl, hot. That as an option in the onions, butter, salt, dried onion, bouillon, garlic and! With 2 cups flour ; mix for 1-2 minutes of butter in saucepan. ; set aside roll out into a 14×18 inch rectangle on a surface. Some vinegar, peeled and thinly sliced onions into the oven to degrees... Co-Worker my first year out of college beef stock i don ’ t know about,. With vegan-friendly ingredients hearty and rich soup that ’ s French onion soup an 8 stock. Thin soup made with flavorful caramelized onions 's French onion soup ( aka healthy French onion soup is a soup! Oven safe soup crocks a sprayed surface keto onion soup: a classic preparation but! Turning once to grease top and toast for 5 minutes until crisp sprayed.. Definitely for Thanksgiving or red, peeled and thinly sliced onions into the tastiest caramelized ones bring to simmer.