Basa is one fish that is looked down upon by the Bengali fish snobs as a cheaper substitute for Bhetki fries, so beware! A: Aar – less bones, delicate and very fleshy; Calls for a turmeric-black cumin gravy with aloo and slit green chillies, garnished with fresh coriander leaves. See more ideas about bengali fish recipes, fish recipes, recipes. This practice was highlighted by the successful prosecution of two retailers, using DNA evidence, in 2009 and 2010. Pingback: Kavtaradzes’ Khinkali in Pasanauri | Our best food memories in Georgia until now. There are also concerns about feed quality, farm operating standards and the biological impact of using wild stock for culturing. I have grown up seeing my parents and their friends serving Topshe fried in whole, in a gram flour batter sprinkled with either nigella seeds or posto – poppy seeds, as a starter to accompany their Sunday gin and vodka lunch parties, and I can’t seem to remember if I’ve ever tasted Topshe in any other way! Apni to Dubai-te onekdin achen. The subject, story, opinions and views stated here are my own. Dust the fish with turmeric powder, salt and then add 1 … Ekhane Bangali maach paoaa jay/ Hello Sister! Macher head to tail including macher tel still remain the pride of Bengali cuisine as well their identity in cook books written e-par Bangla or o-par Bangla. Basa are native to the Mekong and Chao Phraya basins in Mainland Southeast Asia. Add salt and yoghurt. Remove and set aside. A delicate curry from the Bengali region of eastern India, this white fish fillet curry can be made with any flaky, white fish: Haddock, cod, tilapia, sea bass - choose your favourite, its flavour will be spiced and enhanced in a gorgeous way in this dish. little fish clipart name clipart fish swimming clipart ocean fish clipart sea fish clipart cute fish clipart. Katla cooked in a light gravy – jhol with potatoes, to be supplemented by steaming white rice. The constant stirring of the soft textured fish along with turmeric, red chilli, cumin and coriander lets the water from the fish to evaporate out and the mixture becomes crunchy and real spicy. 1 Thackeray Road | Alipore, Kolkata, Daal Baati Churma | An Evening of Traditional Marwari Food. "Biology and Culture Techniques of Bocourti Catfish, Heavy Reham, A. Amin. Disclaimer: This isn’t a sponsored post, nor are there any affiliated links. See more ideas about Fish recipes, Fish curry, Indian fish recipes. The former is tasty in a light turmeric, cumin and coriander gravy with vegetables like potatoes and snowpeas thrown in along with bori – fried lentil balls. information overload on Bengali fish? Basa (Pangasius bocourti) is a species of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. 3,307 kms away from Bengal, raising two third culture kids and perpetually in a quasi Bengali state of being – I crave for dupurer ghum – afternoon siesta on a Sunday afternoon when all of Dubai are busy getting into the groove of the week with the first working day being Sunday! KOLKATA: Move over bekti, basa is here. A nostalgic recipe that ended up in transcending variations of cooking across borders and connecting two families together. My list here is not comprehensive, and it cannot be as my knowledge is limited by what I have tasted in the kitchens of only a few families – my father’s ancestral home in Naihati (very ghoti), my dida’s cooking (again ghoti as she was from Bhatpara), my ma’s very own style of cooking as she picked up recipes from both Naihati and Bhatpara, my ma-in-law’s cooking which has been influenced by her mother and reflects the Bangal way of cooking… and finally every other Bengali family that I have had a meal with – from the shores of California to Singapore, and from the time we made a home in Frankfurt to all the true-blue Bengali homes that we have visited in  Kolkata.