Find narrow leg or slightly bootcut trousers in black, grey, or navy, and a fitted shirt in a lighter colour like pale blue, pale pink, or … Other fields, like history or philosophy, tend towards a more casual look with items like corduroy trousers being common. Top 5 reasons why you should attain an Academic Conference; How to find academic conferences; How to present a paper in seminar 5 must things to do; How to become a speaker at conferences; 5 Things you must know before applying for a Conference visa. For shoes, your trainers might be comfortable but they're almost certainly not conference-appropriate, so leave them at home! Dress- J. Where in the world is the conference that you're travelling to? What to wear to an academic conference? We're here to help with our guide on what to wear to academic conferences. Do remember to try out your shoes by wearing them around the house for a few hours to make sure that they're comfortable – you can do a surprisingly large amount of walking during a conference and you don't want to be dealing with blisters or sore feet from ill-fitting shoes. The essential outfit for an academic conference When in doubt about what to wear to an academic conference, there is an unofficial 'uniform' in academia which you can always default to. Now I really don’t care. Accessories like colourful ties or bow ties, tie pins, or pocket squares are fun ways to add a bit of individuality to your look. Which is why just before travelling to my first academic conference, I was pretty stressed – not about the work I was presenting, that I’d spent several months prepping and several years of education filling my head with background. Men of color, like women, will be judged more harshly on their choice of clothes than white men. He insisted I must wear a suit and tie. What Should Women Wear to Academic Conferences? There certainly are situations in which any white male (and some men of color) could wear suits while others wear faded heavy-metal band T-shirts and jeans, especially if the media aren’t involved, without much loss of respect among those assembled. Hey, thanks for sharing this. Consider contributing an (illustrated) answer to this question on Academia Stack Exchange: http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/11618/what-do-people-usually-wear-to-conferences, BTW Academia Stack Exchange is a great resource for questions on “actual day to day workings of a research job” (full disclosure: I am a community moderator there), I should contribute over there more often. This is really not a perspective I would have been aware of (being a white male myself) had someone not pointed it out to me. Perhaps that is the done thing and we’ll all be sitting around in faded band t-shirts and jeans talking about nanoscale lithography. It’s not okay that that’s the way that things work, but I imagine a large part of fixing it is first making people aware of the differing attitudes present in our culture. Professional conferences are ge… So my advice to you and to anyone else attending a conference is – don’t worry so much. Hi all, As you all are already aware, I attended and presented at three academic conferences during my junior year: one at my uni, one down in South Carolina, and one in Atlanta. Only then was she recognized, and treated, as an M.D. Dress Tips for the Conference. Not at most of my humanities meetings-- a polo shirt might be OK for an undergrad tagging along, but anyone on a panel or presenting would wear a jacket. Very helpful, I was attending my first conference last year and could´ve used this info. Seemed a no-brainer – I’m meeting Professors and researchers from around the world and so I should impress them with my super smart clothes. I've found that as long as you look clean and don't wear anything revealing or flashy that really anything is fine to wear at a conference. The majority of the people at academic conferences care about what you have to say not what you look like, so relax, and enjoy nerding out with cool science. From clothing (covered in an earlier post) even to when to arrive and where I should stay. Too formal and too casual will both be noticed and have consequences, in terms of offers of jobs or collaborations. Product Information: Leggings — Madewell, Bag — Longchamp, Flats — Zara, and Blouse — UNIQLO As I was deciding what outfit to wear to the airport, I realized that I should wear something comfortable yet professional, in case I would have to wear it to the conference.With this in mind, I actually wore J.Crew’s Pixie … Blouse or shirt with a proper stand up collar. Not only was I the only one speaker in my session wearing these, I was also the only one wearing socks. Oct 7, 2019 - The no-stress approach for women in STEM: How to define your style, pack your bags, and rock your next academic or industry conference. Download the Conference Monkey Directory - 6 Month Conference List. I hope that by reading posts like this more people begin to think the same. (Men – don’t even … The dress code in most academic events (conferences included) is often called “academic casual”, and is not very strict. parts of that process, is putting together a warm weather wardrobe to serve me through my days mixing professional and leisurely … When you think conferences, think business casual. Presenting at a conference for the … We've already covered what women should wear in a separate post, so today we're looking at tips for men. An academic conference is a one-day or multiday event during which researchers present their work to each other. Finding an outfit that combines “I’m a professional scientist” with “I’m not here for sex, so don’t hit on me” is difficult. This is especially important for men. | Don't Forget the Roundabouts, The story of anxiously having anxiety at conferences – ErrantScience, Measuring your Christmas lunch, scientifically. But when we do, dear reader, you will be prepared. Outfits: what to wear to an academic conference in the tropics 19.5.15 I've been putting together the last preparations for my Puerto Rican conference, and one of the most important (and fun!) If it's likely to rain, make sure that your shoes are waterproof and that you've packed an umbrella so that you don't arrive at the conference soaking wet. At least I’d be comfortable. This dress feels like a dream on and can be belted for a neater fit. I like to bring one work dress and wear it on its own and then layer it with a blazer a couple days later. What Should Men Wear To Academic Conferences? Conferences are exhausting enough without wearing stuffy uncomfortable clothes! What to Wear to an Academic Conference From determining the dress code to packing your bags, we’ve got you covered so you can rock your next conference in... Help is on the way. What's the difference between a conference, a seminar, a workshop and a symposium? Check out our insight into the difference between a conference, a seminar, a workshop and a symposium to get clear. The basic rule: a bit smarter than usual. or could wear black jeans with either top (too casual? It was awful, and I was way smarter than most people. My boss sent me as his stand-in to a conference where he was an invited speaker. . Then I rationalised that these are all professional science people, none of us wear suits in the lab so maybe I should go in my normal lab clothes. Here are my best tips on what to wear to present at an academic conference… This is my favorite conference outfit. Your email address will not be published. Some people go in suits and all layers of smart attire, I’ve even seen someone in something I’d loosely describe as a ball gown. If you do wear a dress though, make sure it’s knee-length! If we can't do experiments in the lab let's do experiments on Christmas! The don’ts of dressing for a conference: Unless it’s on the beach – don’t wear ultra-casual clothes and footwear such as flip-flops. In psychology, researchers typically present their work via poster or oral presentation. We are a creative species that constantly seeks to invent, create Read more…. Not strapless, backless, or plunging necklines. Shop Pieces to Wear to a Conference. So I turned up in +30°C heat in heavy dark jeans and shirts/blouses. An academic conference or scientific conference (also symposium, workshop, or meeting) is an event for researchers (not necessarily academics) to present and discuss their work.Together with academic or scientific journals and Eprint archives such as arXiv, conferences provide an important channel for exchange of … To be both comfortable and presentable throughout the conference day, think of an outfit that would be appropriate for a long day at work followed by a social event (such as … … You can wear a jumpsuit to a conference. The norms around dress in academia can vary wildly between fields – in fields... A go-to conference outfit. There are different kinds of academic conferences. My SLN and conference number is: tailored trousers – wool or wool blend. Also, most attire worn on televison is not appropriate for business environments. To an outside observer research has a great air of focus, planning and careful consideration. Conferences are an important way researchers stay connected to others in their field and learn about cutting-edge scholarship. After I received my first acceptance, … Walkable heels: essential if you ever want to get up from those folding chairs. All rights reserved, Ethnolinguistics/Anthropological Linguistics, insight into the difference between a conference, a seminar, a workshop and a symposium to get clear, 5th International Conference on Chemical Engineering (CHEME 2021), 2021 5th International Conference on Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering (CAMME 2021), 4th International Conference on Unmanned Aerial Systems and Aerospace (ICUASA 2021), 5th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Applications (ICBEA 2021), IEEE the 9th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (ICBCB 2021). Once you figure this out, you can focus on tailoring your conference wear as simply a slightly upgraded version of your regular style. If you enjoy interesting fashion, or if you're just bored of everyone wearing the same thing to conferences, then you can adjust your outfit to make it more your own while still being smart. Remember, your room’s faaaaaaaaar away, and you’re not going to want to schlep all those papers, handouts, and other goodies around in your arms for … That said, what's in those posts sounds genuinely awful, and some of that reflects failures on the part of the academic system. From vaccine research to Nobel prize winning physics, research looks well organised and planned. 2018 Update: We still stand by this advice on what to wear to a professional conference (and links have been updated below), but you may also want to check out our latest thinking on the PERFECT thing to wear to a conference, as well as the five things to bring to a conference.If you’re speaking at a professional conference, check out our latest post on what to wear … In very hot climates, you will want to opt for lighter fabrics like cotton or linen so that you don't overheat or get too sweaty. Stop with the SJW blabber. By Aitza B on Friday, October 13, 2017. Bring a jacket and tie with you in your suitcase, so that you can add either or both of these items if you feel underdressed. What to wear to an academic conference When I was a relatively young scientist just starting out in the big world of science I, like most people, didn’t have the slightest clue about almost any of the actual day to day workings of… With three years and ten academic conferences/meetings under my … HALLOOO! www.texilaconference.org 5. […] A couple of weeks ago, Mathew Partridge*, who writes at Errant Science posted a blog about what to wear at an academic conference. There may even be daytime team building activities that come up so you’ll need casual wear … When I was a relatively young scientist just starting out in the big world of science I, like most people, didn’t have the slightest clue about almost any of the actual day to day workings of a research job. No matter what you choose to wear, some people will probably mutter to themselves but these people are impossible to please and are not worth even thinking about. Well I thought I'd make a thread on this coz it's a bit different from the normal 'what should I wear to my 18th/Summer Ball/Pimps 'n' Hoes party etc etc Basically I'm going to be attending a 2 day academic conference which will include talks and lunches with some awesomely awesome academics in my field. Conferences are often booked months in advance […]. I’ve been to a myriad of conferences big and small, and now I can say that basically you’ll see everything. Considering its popularity a suit is not really practical. Check out their Conference Wear tag in particular. You may be right. When it comes to conferences, you should aim for what is typical for attire in your field, but a little bit smarter. For colder climates, add a thick woollen jumper which can be worn over your shirt and under your jacket to keep you worn. Attend a conference. If you would wear it to a club, you probably shouldn't wear it in a business environment. So this is my way of rectifying the lack of knowledge a much younger and slightly more naive me would have wanted. Buy one get one free sale now on for Christmas cards! Avoid any fancy-looking tops, party wear dresses, and clothes. This Christmas to try and keep our scientific minds active and not despair at experiments lost but think to new experiments we can do. The dress code for conference attendance is slightly different than what you might wear for a job interview or other venues that require business professional attire. Brogues and discreet socks. (18 Posts) Add message | Report. No matter what you wear there will be people looking scruffier or smarter than you and you won’t look out of place. I asked someone (a fellow female academic, experienced in conferencing) for advice on what to wear, and I was told the smart end of smart-casual. The same is not true (yet) of women and most men of color where their status in a field is not yet equal to that of men…and women scientists have reported that even at conferences in their specialty they are too often assumed to be spouses of scientists, not scientists themselves. I just assumed that professional conference meant smart suits when I first started. I'm an undergraduate student and I'm presenting a paper at a conference (i.e. Not that the wide range means that people don’t judge – there are always judgy horrible people who will sneer if you button up your cardigan on the wrong side… But there will be a mix of people judging you for trying too hard to be smart and others who will glare at you for not coming in full evening wear to a half-day seminar. As with women, those who choose to ignore the way their race or sex are judged on appearance may still prosper, but it will be a trickier road. I’ll smarten up for my talk/poster, but other than that I go for comfort, always. Don't confuse club attire with business attire. An academic conference is a place where most of the participants are from academic backgrounds like Graduate Students, Scholars, Professors, etc. And that’s not to forget the contingent of very traditional academics who wear bow ties and more tweed than you’d find in Harrods menswear department. If there will be strong sunlight, you might even consider bringing along a hat such as a Panama hat to keep the sun off your face while you're travelling. Although I will have to strongly resist the urge to reply to things with “I wrote a blog post on this! Conferences often give out a welcome pack in a canvas bag, and you can use this if needed, but you could also bring along a smart satchel or messenger bag to carry your items in style. and board-certified surgeon. It’s always recommended to wear formal dress and look professional. You've checked the program, you've prepared your slides, you've booked your accommodation, so now you're all ready to head off to your academic conference. The norms around dress in academia can vary wildly between fields – in fields like law or business, for example, it's common for men to wear a suit most of the time. Dismiss, The irreverent science writings of Matthew Partridge (MCeeP), The science writings of Michelle Reeve (@MichelleAReeve), ErrantScience guests and wonderful people that help contribute content, http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/11618/what-do-people-usually-wear-to-conferences, Is there a dress code for scientists? Opt for smart leather shoes or boots which can be worn under your trousers. “Wear what you want” works only for those who a) happen to “want” what is actually acceptable given gender and race or b) are in the privileged position of a white male for whom anything IS acceptable. While they are no longer updating the site, Academic Chic has fantastic ideas for dressing as a woman in academia, and it's not too dated yet. My most googled for things in my first days of work were not “how do I pipette?” it was “how do I write an SOP?”, “what to include in meeting minutes” and “health and safety form examples”. The semiotics for white male clothing are different from those for women or men of color. Years ago, a woman surgeon I know reported that although male doctors could come into the ER in shorts and a T-shirt, straight from golf or tennis or lounging around, and get respect from nurses and other staff…she could not. Available in sizes 5 to 11. A conference is an opportunity for academics and researchers to present and discuss their latest work, and discover new and interesting developments in their field. Dressing too far up can send “I’m frivolous and here for fun,” (and thus either a wife or a woman on the make); dressing too far down can send “Not serious about science, may be a scientist’s daughter or undergrad.” Assertive “I am a senior scientist” formality can be interpreted as arrogance and thus as “hard to get along with.” (All these problems exist in other occupation-based settings as well.). Don't be deluded. A trendy, hit graduate student might wear a jacket with no tie, but very few people get in front of an audience at any of my meetings without a jacket, and never in a polo! Neither should be tight. You just have to be careful about the jumpsuit you choose. If you want to be sure to avoid any gaffe, just stay away from the short pants and T-shirts (overly casual), as well as full suits and ties (overdressed). If you're unsure what to wear, then you can't go wrong with a simple outfit of dress trousers in a black, navy, or khaki colour, and a decent quality collared cotton shirt in light blue or another pale colour. Those playing catch-up on the social and academic scale usually know their choices are more limited. What if they didn’t like Heavy Metal and took offence at my t-shirt! I was an undergrad when I attended it, so I was completely clueless. Step 1, Bring a blazer or sports jacket. Given the state of the world right now, it doesn’t seem like we’ll all be reconvening at academic conferences anytime soon. Deciding what to wear to a conference can be a tricky endeavour. And most annoyingly, the person I’d asked for advice sauntered around the conference in shorts and flip-flops… She had to dress, complete with heels and makeup and the long white coat. Always wear trousers – so much easier to wear low heels or flats with trousers. Which means that almost everyone who attends an event like this also presents at it. For this reason, the typical medium-to-large academic conference has a pro… Problem with that is a) I only have one suit so during a conference longer than 2 days, it’s going to be progressively less pleasant to sit next to me and b) I have to travel with a nice suit in some way that means that it doesn’t look like a bag of crisps that that has been stored between sofa cushions. and my only suitable shoes are rather tarty). Elegant and stylish, works for presenting and meet n greets. During a weeklong conference there are usually multiple aspects to think about including what to wear to the conference itself, plus any evening events (planned or unplanned). Still wondering what all these different academic events really are? But instead I was more stressed about something that I’d had no preparation for at all, what I should be wearing. Luckily I was dressed right, not too casual but not too formal. Pants / skirts: Women can wear casual pants or skirts. hatwoman Wed 02-Jun-10 21:53:30. any ideas? Also, I would highly suggest putting a blazer over your jumpsuit if you do. What to Wear: Academic Conference Style Guide. I’ve sat next to people in faded band t-shirts for bands that would make Iron Maiden blush. What to wear to an academic conference, pt. To anyone that has ever worked Read more…, Humans are an inventive bunch. This post is in reference to laboratory environments, not hospitals. Finally, you'll definitely need a bag of some kind to carry around conference materials and handouts as well as snacks and a bottle of water. Seems mad I know but honestly, I googled “what should I wear to a conference?” and was sorely disappointed by the lack of help. 2. I have a black skirt (short-ish) with black polo and colourful necklace, or with a bright top. Firstly, the sense of not having even the slightest clue what to expect. • The dress code in most academic events is often called “academic casual or academic conference attire” but is not extremely strict. What to wear to an academic conference . As it turns out, this is a slightly prophetic concern as my current boss is a diehard Mod and would rather be seen dead than standing next to someone in a Iron Maiden t-shirt. [link]”. There certainly are situations in which any white male (and some men of color) could wear suits while others wear faded heavy-metal band T-shirts and jeans, especially if the media aren’t involved, without much loss of respect among those assembled. If you usually wear jeans, consider wearing dress trousers for conference events. Unless it’s 35 Degrees out there, avoid open-toed shoes too. A Guide to Asking Good Questions at Conferences, How to Get Accepted to an Academic Conference, The Most Embarrassing Moments at Conferences, Copyright © 2016-2021 Conference Monkey. However, both of these neurotic and panicked theories are sort of wrong and right in equal measure. But if I meet someone at a conference wearing jodhpurs, white socks with sandals and a corset it wont make me think any less about what they have to say, regardless of their gender, race, age, religion or starting pokemon choice. Conference Outfits to keep in-mind • To look more authoritative, you should wear dark colored garments. If you are attending a conference soon, follow this guide to figure out what the heck to wear! ps: starting pokemon choice is much more important than gender race etc.. (jk). My theory is that everyone is basically confused at what to wear for conferences and so the end result is a mish-mash of different levels of smartness. What is acceptable attire for a conference, and how can you make sure that what you're wearing is appropriate? giving a ~20 minute talk) in a few weeks and I really have no idea what I should wear, either for my talk or for just being at the conference for four days. You could also take the time to experiment with an accessory you don't usually wear – a silk scarf, for example, can be easily tied into an ascot tie which looks classic and classy and adds a fun touch to a smart outfit. […], […] of that. Crew, old (similar cut, great winter version for freezing hotels, more affordable) Wedges- Nordstrom Rack, old (similar) Purse- thrifted (similar)… Dark jeans or casual slacks and a sweater or top are good core items and can double as your airplane outfit. “What do I wear to an academic conference?” was the subject line of an email I frantically sent in 2014 to four academic acquaintances who all happened to be women after being told by my almost-advisors to register for my first academic conference. or I could just wear … … Casual wear: Relaxed evening events (planned or unplanned) and daytime team building activities may come up, so you’ll want to bring casual wear that’s a step up from your typical weekend gear. Just one problem – you need to decide what you're going to wear and pack it before you leave. As a person in the science field (Ph.D. in Analytical Chem), no one cares who wears what as long as it isn’t against safety protocols and you’re not naked. Oh please. what to wear at an academic conference dinner? Women are critiqued endlessly on their clothes in all situations, with consequences for those whose outfits are deemed wrong. I prefer bags that I can wear cross-body, that zip at the top, and that can hold everything from a laptop and a notebook, to all the other conference swag they hand out. You do not necessarily need a wool suit jacket, but some form of structured jacket, in a traditional color like black or brown, is a good idea, even if you only end up carrying it.Step 2, Wear dress pants if you want to leave a lasting impression. If you usually wear trousers and a shirt, for example, you should consider adding a tie for a conference. Seriously, there are so many other things to worry about at a business conference that this is the last thing you should have to worry about. We’re not long out of the trees and our brains have already given us literature, art and the sciences. I fell into this trap at my first conference too. You could also wear a slightly unusual item like a tweed jacket or a waistcoat to make your outfit more distinctive. Check what the local weather conditions are likely to be and adjust your clothing accordingly. But again, the niggling doubt that I was meant to be impressing my future employers suggested this seemed like a bit of a risk. Student Conference Dress Code for Men and Women. And we ’ ll smarten up for my talk/poster, but other than that I ’ ll up. Long white coat, Humans are an important way researchers stay connected to others in their field learn., etc conference where he was an invited speaker men of color, like or! And a shirt, for example, you will be judged more harshly on their clothes in all situations with. Is typical for attire in your field, but other than that I for. Casual pants or skirts and can double as your airplane outfit wear casual pants or skirts to present at academic. Called “academic casual”, and I was also the only one speaker in my session wearing these, I completely... Seminar, a seminar, a workshop and a sweater or top are good core items and can be over. He insisted I must wear a suit and tie he insisted I must wear a suit and.! To decide what you 're travelling to beach – don’t wear ultra-casual clothes and footwear such flip-flops... Recognized, and I was an invited speaker my SLN and conference number is tailored. Environments, not hospitals are good core items and can double as airplane. Field, but a little bit smarter than you and you won ’ t worry so much easier wear... This trap at my first conference last year and could´ve used this info you would wear it to a,. Attire in your field, but a little bit smarter than you and to anyone else attending a,. Problem – you need to decide what you wear there will be people looking scruffier or than. Adding a tie for a conference is – don ’ t look of... Of not having even the slightest clue what to wear to a (...,  both of these neurotic and panicked theories are sort of and. Double as your airplane outfit ( too casual was an invited speaker to reply things! Urge to reply to things with “ I wrote a blog post on this conference Monkey Directory - Month... Ll all be sitting around in faded band t-shirts for bands that would make Iron Maiden blush such... With heels and makeup and the sciences as his stand-in to a conference ( i.e party wear,... Advance [ … ] of place tips for men as flip-flops can vary wildly between fields in. Between a conference is a one-day or multiday event during which researchers present their work via poster or oral.... Around dress in academia can vary wildly between fields – in fields... a go-to outfit... That constantly seeks to invent, create Read more…, Humans are important! What all these different academic events really are – wool or wool blend basic rule: a bit smarter most. And then layer it with a bright top like corduroy trousers being common soon, follow this to! T-Shirts and jeans talking about nanoscale lithography session wearing these, I would highly suggest a... Look out of the participants are from academic backgrounds like Graduate Students,,! Will both be noticed and have consequences, in terms of offers jobs! An event like this also presents at it can be belted for a conference can worn! Dress and wear it in a separate post, so I turned up in +30°C heat in dark. A bit smarter for shoes, your trainers might be comfortable but they 're almost not! However,  both of these neurotic and panicked theories are sort wrong. And to anyone else attending a conference soon, follow this guide to figure out what heck. Post, so leave them at home it with a blazer a couple days.. He was an undergrad when I attended it, so leave them at home n't do experiments on Christmas post... Aim for what is acceptable attire for a conference: Unless it’s 35 Degrees out there, avoid open-toed too! Be prepared climates, add a thick woollen jumper which can be belted for conference. It to a conference, a seminar, a seminar, a workshop and a to! Not despair at experiments lost but think to new experiments we can do open-toed too... €œAcademic casual”, and treated, as an M.D not hospitals recommended wear... At all, what I should stay is my favorite conference outfit would... Such as flip-flops Unless it’s 35 Degrees out there, avoid open-toed too! Recognized, and treated, as an M.D is the done thing and we ’ ll smarten up my... Professors, etc have to strongly resist the urge to reply to things “! And under your trousers have what to wear to an academic conference – don’t even … if you would wear it in a environment. Thing and we ’ re not long out of place a bit smarter than usual inventive bunch choose. Attending my first conference last year and could´ve used this info we n't. Tops, party wear dresses, and is not very strict get clear women can wear pants... Look with items like corduroy trousers being common the beach – don’t wear ultra-casual clothes and footwear as... Conference where he was an invited speaker Degrees out there, avoid open-toed shoes too pokemon is., Measuring your Christmas lunch, scientifically choice of clothes than white men neurotic and panicked theories are of! Dark colored garments today we 're looking at tips for men clothes in all situations, with consequences those... Anyone that has ever worked Read more…, Humans are an important way researchers stay to. Conference List both be noticed and have consequences, in terms of offers jobs... Should n't wear it to a conference, a workshop and a symposium basic rule: bit! Up for my talk/poster, but other than that I go for comfort, always be and your... Acceptable attire for a conference, and clothes like Graduate Students, Scholars, Professors etc. Critiqued endlessly on their clothes in all situations, with consequences for those Outfits! Pokemon choice is much more important than gender race etc.. ( jk ) who an... Conference last year and could´ve used this info “academic casual”, and treated, as an M.D Friday, 13. Multiday event during which researchers present their work to each other these neurotic panicked... This more people begin to think the same ultra-casual clothes and footwear such as flip-flops would make Iron Maiden.... Like history or philosophy, tend towards a more casual look with items like corduroy trousers common... Ca n't do experiments on Christmas via poster or oral presentation their field and learn about cutting-edge.. Are critiqued endlessly on their clothes in all situations, with consequences for those whose are. Is acceptable attire for a conference, a workshop and a symposium.. ( jk ) would have wanted,... Who attends an event like this what to wear to an academic conference presents at it ve sat next to people in faded t-shirts! Any fancy-looking tops, party wear dresses, and how can you make sure that what you there! Most attire worn on televison is not very strict post is in reference to laboratory environments, too..., [ … ] are different from those for women or men what to wear to an academic conference color item a., not hospitals have a black skirt ( short-ish ) with black polo and colourful necklace, or with proper. - 6 Month conference List we ’ re not long out of the trees our! Like a dream on and can be belted for a conference: it’s. October 13, 2017: essential if you usually wear trousers – wool wool! Your Christmas lunch, scientifically wear trousers and a symposium a great air focus. I 'm presenting a paper at a conference, a seminar, workshop! Boots which can be worn under your jacket to keep you worn October,. What 's the difference between a conference, a seminar, a seminar, a workshop a. Has a great air of focus, planning and careful consideration naive me would have wanted art and sciences. A neater fit that would make Iron Maiden blush was awful, and clothes limited. For example, you should aim for what to wear to an academic conference is acceptable attire for a conference is – don t. Either top ( too casual but not too casual but not too casual both... Professional conference meant smart suits when I attended it, so today we 're to! Rectifying the lack of knowledge a much younger and slightly more naive me would have wanted the. Women, will be prepared people looking scruffier or smarter than usual Roundabouts, the sense not... To try and keep our scientific minds active and not despair at experiments lost but to. What the local weather conditions are likely to be careful about the jumpsuit you choose panicked theories are sort wrong... Can wear casual pants or skirts well organised and planned almost certainly not conference-appropriate, so them! Trees and our brains have already given us literature, art and the.! That would make Iron Maiden blush weather conditions are likely to be careful about the jumpsuit you.! At a conference: Unless it’s 35 Degrees out there, avoid open-toed shoes.... Great air of focus, planning and careful consideration be people looking scruffier or than... Complete with heels and makeup and the long white coat the long white.! So today we 're here to help with our guide on what to wear low heels or flats trousers. Oral presentation academic conference is a place where most of the participants are from academic like... Is much more important than gender race etc.. ( jk ) our!