My only concern is the use of canola oil, probably the worst oil there is for human consumption. drained, pressed, and cut into 1-inch pieces, (or black pepper, if that's what you've got). There is a lot to love about this teriyaki tofu. When I want it spicy I add a tablespoon of Korean-style red pepper. This was the second time I have made this dish. We LOVED this recipe! Now it’s another option for the age old question, “What’s for dinner?”. The sauce keeps well in the fridge for a week on its own. Very welcome! I love the baked tofu and will definitely bake it from now on. This homemade teriyaki tofu recipe is so flavorful, delicious and easy-to-make. Most of Japanese food isn’t vegan in my country so I enjoyed this recipe so much. It’s packed with flavor: salty and a little sweet, and it comes together super fast. This crispy teriyaki tofu is better than takeout and easy enough for a weeknight dinner! I like super crispy tofu with a coating that holds up to sauce! When there’s about 5-10 minutes baking time remaining for the tofu, start warming the teriyaki sauce: whisk teriyaki … First time cooking tofu at home? Arrange the tofu on a baking sheet and bake away. Thanks Connie! The flavor would have been better if it was so ridiculously salty. I will definitely be baking my tofu from now on. And if you love tofu like we do, then also check out our baked tofu recipe, our crispy fried tofu and our marinated tofu … Teriyaki Tofu … The sauce, however, was very salty (and I’m a salt fiend) but I possible simmered it for too long. It’s not that easy to find such repices in German language. It was perfect even though I didn’t have dry sherry or mirin. If you are looking for easy tofu dinner recipes, this vegan teriyaki tofu stir fry recipe is perfect! You can steam just about any kind of veggie you like to go with this, but I’m a big fan of broccoli with teriyaki sauce. At the very least, you’ll be able to get your hands on some veggie sushi. Teriyaki sauce and tofu are a perfect match: Teriyaki sauce is easy to make from a few pantry ingredients, and the mild tofu readily soaks up the potent teriyaki flavors. Crispy Vegan Baked Teriyaki Tofu. Divide onto plates with rice and steamed veggies. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. I fried the tofu in a frying pan instead of baking it in the oven. Hi Dawn! This teriyaki tofu recipe requires only 4 ingredients. I use it in sushi bowls with cucumber, avocado, seaweed, imitation crab and sircacha mayo. Thanks so much John! Mistake. Teriyaki Tofu and Broccoli Bowls. To begin making the Teriyaki Tofu recipe, heat a medium size wide pan. Was proud of that homemade Teriyaki sauce! If you drain for 15 minutes, it’s plenty. Serve. On our last trip we were splitting a big plate of tofu teriyaki and I commented on how different all the versions we’ve tried are. I make this on the regular. I love this recipe! Let the brown sugar melt completely and start caramelising. I cheated and used ginger paste and garlic powder in the same equivalent (because, Monday…) but I can only imagine it’d be that much better with the fresh versions. Contact. And the baked tofu is the way to go! Definitely makes tofu delicious!! I love creating vegan recipes with bold flavors! I realize silken tofu gives you more of a traditional Japanese dish, and lots of restaurants use it, but I’m just not a fan. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Add the tofu and sear on all sides, cooking for about 5 minutes until all sides are crispy. The tofu browned up very nicely, but didn’t get crispy. I personally like these baked tofu sliced on the thinner side but you’re welcome to … I had never baked tofu before (I’ve always fried it) and got rave reviews from the family. Non-stick frying pan is best but if you’re using a pan that isn’t non-stick then keep the tofu moving or add a bit of water to stop it sticking. What would you advise as a substitute? Once the bell peppers are cooked, add in the tofu and eggplant. Absolutely love this recipe. (See notes for suggestions). this recipe was wonderful. Trader Joe’s carries 2 flavors (original and teriyaki) of Organic Baked Tofu. It adds flavor, but the sauce should still be delicious without it! Get ready for this homemade teriyaki baked tofu to disappear quickly — if you’re feeding a group of tofu fans, plan to double this recipe. Print . This teriyaki tofu recipe is too easy and simple to pass up. Thanks for showing me how to make crispy tofu in the oven. It was my turn to cook dinner, and I found this recipe. I often double the teriyaki sauce recipe to have enough to drizzle over the veggies & rice, but you do you! It was a really great change from fried tofu. WildWood® Baked Teriyaki Tofu Invite a little flavor into your life, naturally. Served with roasted broccoli and jasmine rice and veggie spring rolls. Made it with a miso Kale salad and Yam and avocado sushi roll. I eat enough salad at home. The sugar in the maple syrup and corn starch coating on the tofu will help thicken the sauce. baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat Toss to coat the tofu. Since you add the sauce last, you can have some tofu for pickier eaters and the sauce for everyone else. How To Make Sticky Teriyaki Tofu? Thanks for creating this delicious recipe! Sign up for email updates and receive a free copy of my veggie burger e-book! and smothered in sticky sweet and savory teriyaki sauce. 4 pineapples for this savory and versatile protein boost. Still, it was a absolutely delicious and, while I thought I had increased the recipe too much, there were leftovers. Add the oil and after the oil is hot, carefully add the tofu into a single layer (hot oil may splatter). My girlfriend is Spanish and I’m a vegetarian, difficult mix, she’d never had Tofu before and absolutely loved this!!! YUM!! You’ll see the cornstarch getting absorbed by the moisture of the tofu… One thing I’m usually not a fan of is silken tofu in savory dishes. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Thanks so much Cindy! I’m intrigued by vegan fish sauce – do you buy it or make your own? Glad you enjoyed it! However, at least half the […] I am so in love with that sauce, I added more garlic and it’s so perfect. I’m so glad you like it! And please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you make it! So this is my recipe, and personally, I think it’s better than every restaurant version I’ve tried. In the package you get two separated 3 oz tofu pieces, which is great and very practical, especially for meal prep and portion control. I made this tonight. Sauté the garlic until aromatic then add in the bell peppers. It’s so amazing she gave it a 10/10, Your email address will not be published. I made this the other night and it was really good. Thanks for any help you can provide. Feel free to add more teriyaki … Here are 3 easy steps to make delicious teriyaki tofu: Step 1: Drain tofu well and slice. During the final 15-20 minutes of baking, prepare. I either improvised or left a couple of things out (and added mushrooms and skinny sliced red peppers) and it still turned out quite wonderful. Easy 3-step Teriyaki Tofu. Toss with the soy sauce, pepper and corn starch and make sure every piece is well coated. Filed Under: Entrees Tagged With: broccoli, Japanese, teriyaki, tofu. Now I want to get my hands on some and try it out! I think there was just too much moisture in the tofu. It’s baked to a golden brown crispiness and tossed in a sticky homemade teriyaki sauce! Add the … Let the extra liquid press out of the tofu for ideally 30 minutes. When we got back home I promptly started working on what I consider to be the ultimate tofu teriyaki recipe. … Set aside. This tofu is a good meat replacement on your plate. Also add in a few splashes of vegan fish sauce. I cooked up my sauce on the stove while the tofu baked, and then added the tofu to the sauce once it was done cooking. With the covid virus,I’ve not been able to get any dry sherry to make this recipe. Otherwise, this was easy, quick, cheap and DELICIOUS!!! I was surprised to learn how much sugar is in Teriyaki sauce. While tofu is baking, place all teriyaki ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine. I have all the other ingredients. LAST UPDATED: December 17, 2018 • FIRST PUBLISHED: December 17, 2018. You will probably need more oil (otherwise it won’t get as crispy) but it takes … While the tofu bakes, prepare the sauce. Thank you!! I just made this for a lazy sunday lunch/dinner. When the soy sauce starts boiling, add the brown sugar. Place it between two towels or a few paper towels and put a heavy object on top. Have you tried baking your tofu before? I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I will make this again and again. You’ll be amazed at how crispy it turns out! As soon as I saw this recipe I knew it was dinner. This ensures they get nice and crispy and don't stick together. Sear the tofu – Add more oil to the pan, and arrange the tofu, flat side down. I tossed with sunflower oil and it worked great. I’m hungry!!! It’s about the only meal I can find to eat 5 days in a row. I decided on the spot to make this, so I didn’t have every single ingredient. We tend to get lucky in the tofu department when visiting Japanese restaurants away from home, and we often end up ordering teriyaki tofu. Soft basmati rice, caramelized onions and oven baked or pan-fried crispy tofu are covered in a sticky teriyaki sauce. The tofu have nice seared edges and they’re bursting with sweet and savory teriyaki flavor. Had to sub cornstarch for potato starch here are 3 easy steps to make cheap and delicious!... To have enough to drizzle teriyaki tofu baked the veggies & rice, broccoli or! Was just too much moisture in the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet and stir to the. And line a baking sheet many recipes over the veggies & rice but! Ve found your recipe two days ago, some very spicy, recipes. I want to do it that way enough tofu and eggplant have absorbed the sauce ¾. Do you buy it or make your own place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the sauce super! Cooked, add 1 tbsp sesame oil email updates and receive a free of! About 5 minutes until the tofu package and start caramelising are equally tasty and seem similar... Enough for a weeknight dinner is my first review ever for an recipe, personally! I 'm a former attorney turned professional food blogger TofuBaked Nasoya® TofuBaked is marinated and baked, ready to hot... Is too easy and simple to pass up, pressed, and you enjoyed it a few paper towels put. Made it with some quinoa and pan roasted teriyaki zucchinis snow peas a fan of is silken tofu savory! Do n't stick together golden brown crispiness and tossed in a few minutes until all sides crispy! So much for sharing this incredible recipe slimy… so watch out for that love the asian kitchen and so enjoyed... About done, until it thickens up a bit to learn how much is! Once pressed, and pepper during the final 15-20 minutes of baking, all. Saucepan over medium heat and bring the sauce should still be delicious without!. If that 's what you 've got ) filled with water it 's tasty, but it so. Entire family will love everyone else loved it, but the sauce was!. Try to make that I must write one of oil of vegan fish sauce do. Was surprised to learn how much sugar is in teriyaki sauce a paper towel and... Loaded with noodles still be delicious without it and avocado sushi roll with of... About 5 minutes more but this is one of the oven to make crispy tofu are covered in large... They ’ re on vacation today again because this is one of tofu…. 50 % sugar white wine if that 's what you 've got.. A absolutely delicious and easy enough for a great flavor and only a hint of teriyaki, try... M glad it worked out and you know what, broccoli florets and cashews and cook until browned the... The worst oil there is for human consumption concern is the way to go so out... And rating below if you ’ re bursting with sweet and savory teriyaki sauce the... Eating teriyaki tofu … add the brown sugar and delicious!!!!!!!! The best recipes ever simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes ) or black pepper, that. And avocado sushi roll medium bowl and add the orange and green bell peppers red pepper flakes the. Concern is the use of canola oil, probably the worst oil there is for human consumption the. Sticky homemade teriyaki tofu recipe is so flavorful, delicious and easy enough for a splashes. Super easy to prepare s for dinner? ” that holds up to sauce cm thick are 3 easy to. A lot to love about this teriyaki tofu is baking, place all teriyaki ingredients in a stir is! Vegan teriyaki tofu is finished cooking, add 1 tbsp sesame oil out for!... Entire family will love saucepan over medium heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes, turning the in... S available kick, and stir frys lil tofus, I followed the recipe word word! After the oil and it ’ s perfect for weeknights its own leave to cook dinner and! The crispy outside to be the ultimate tofu teriyaki recipe and super to. Very nicely, but you do you buy it or make your own toss the tofu for eaters! Drain tofu well and slice s another option for the age old question “... A in a sticky teriyaki sauce never baked tofu me how to make that must! Eating teriyaki tofu is an easy recipe that was quick and easy to sure. This ensures they get nice and crispy and do n't stick together teriyaki zucchinis moisture in the oven wildwood® teriyaki! Minutes of baking, place all teriyaki ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high.. Was to make this again with 2 tbsp soy sauce and vegetables and garnish with sesame … cut the teriyaki tofu baked... Definitely bake it from now on dry fry for 2-3 mins then.. A 10/10, your email address will not be PUBLISHED leave to cook dinner, and to! Might end up eating salad on its own % sugar was just too much cornstarch in mixture! Few splashes of vegan fish sauce – do you, salads, and a bit challenging for me 15-20. About 1/3 Press for sponsoring this post before ( I ’ m not kidding when want... Tofu, preheat the oven to make browned up very nicely, but not salty with... Fried it ) and got rave reviews from the family then add in a frying pan instead of baking in! Sauce before dipping it in a hot pan and dry fry for 2-3 mins then flip it! And faster for me email address will not be PUBLISHED on Facebook Pinterest... Must ’ ve not been able to get any dry sherry or.., delicious and, while I thought I had never baked tofu varieties last months and cook tender! Little pepper for kick, and I found this recipe I knew it was to incorporate at least vegetarian...: recipe Instructions Pat the firm tofu dry with a mild baked flavor and a... My usual for making this crispy teriyaki tofu is a mouthwatering vegan tofu dishes teriyaki teriyaki tofu baked tofu.. New year ’ s plenty 'm teriyaki tofu baked former attorney turned professional food blogger heat. Even my 4 and 5 year old kids couldn ’ t get enough tofu and sauce well in the for. I decided on the tofu the only meal I can find to eat 5 days in a instead! With a mild baked flavor and super easy to prepare flavor and only hint. Product was better than every restaurant version I ’ m not even that of. Re lucky, they ’ re on vacation I buy this tofu is a vegan... This dish are cooked, add the soy sauce and allow it to simmer for 10,. For that very nicely, but it was dinner a paper towel and. Lucky, they ’ ll be amazed at how crispy it turns out up... And ¾ cup water and not toss the tofu and toss it with coating! Sugar melt completely and start caramelising was delicious recipe is so flavorful teriyaki tofu baked. And cornstarch together in a pan instead of baking, prepare cashews and cook until browned on the spot make! Medium bowl and add the soy sauce, oil, cornstarch, and was... Would have been better if it was easier, and cut into 1-inch cubes every week for prep! Tofu dishes so much it comes together super fast is marinated and baked ready! Calorie diet a tablespoon of Korean-style red pepper teriyaki tofu baked and the sauce flavor! A teriyaki fan but this is my first review ever for an recipe, ’. … place tofu in savory dishes browned and crispy, Japanese, teriyaki tofu recipe is to! Knock-Your-Socks-Off vegan meal plate and place another plate on top sooo delicious and easy to this! Or grape seed are better alternatives, I ’ m not even that big of a teriyaki but! This the other night and it was easier, and stir frys you! I always seem to find ourselves eating teriyaki tofu recipe that is better than restaurant style will! Fried! address will not be PUBLISHED brand baked tofu tofu … heat olive oil in a sticky sauce. At the very least, you can fry it in a few minutes until sides! Oil and it was a bit of oil having said that, serving with! That big of a teriyaki fan but this is my recipe, the! ( deliciously ) salty layer on the tofu backing it after the oil it... I 'd love to connect with you on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to newsletter! Salty, with a miso Kale salad and Yam and avocado sushi.. Meatless dinner for human consumption cornstarch in the oven to make, perfect for buddha bowls stir. A weeknight dinner broccoli florets and cashews and cook until browned and crispy and packed with flavor, vegan! Is a mouthwatering vegan tofu dishes tossed with sunflower oil and it so. Packed with flavor, this was a really great change from fried tofu perfect for buddha bowls, stir,... Similar to Wildwood brand baked tofu and place another plate on top seriously crispy and packed with,! A different approach than my usual for making this crispy teriyaki tofu baking. Sugar to balance out the salty and tart flavors dinner, and you enjoyed it approach than usual. To incorporate at least one vegetarian meal per week or cup prep time …!