Sir Elton and Renate tied the knot in Australia on Valentine’s Day 1984 and divorced in 1988. The unlikely duo have formed a friendship during lockdown and Ozzy has revealed the 'I'm Still Standing' singer calls his wife Sharon Osbourne each week to see if he's ok. SIR Elton John has agreed an out-of-court settlement with his ex-wife Renate Blauel, after she sued him for £3million over his autobiography and film. But when did they get married, how did they break up and what is she doing now? When talking to the Sydney Morning Herald in 2007, Elton John confessed that alcohol and drug addiction had been involved in his decision to get married: ‘A drug addict thinks like this: “I’ve had enough boyfriends and that’s not made me happy, so I’ll have a wife; that will change everything.” And I loved Renate. She’s a great girl. In papers filed to the High Court, it said that Renate even changed her name and appearance in an attempt to ‘shed her identity’ following the breakdown of her marriage, in order to keep out of the public eye. It was held on Valentine’s Day, when Elton was 36 and Renate was 28. Oct 15, 2020 Updated Oct 15, 2020 Sir Elton John has settled his dispute with ex-wife Renate Blauel. Absolutely thrilled to be a little part of @rocketmanmovie as #renateblauel the movie truly does take you on a wild ride and you’d be silly to miss it! Elton also wore white. In 2014, he married his longtime partner David Furnish and they now have two sons together, Zachary (born 2010) and Elijah (born 2013). Sir Elton, real name Reginald Dwight, later announced he was gay. In her mind, the film seeks to portray their marriage as a sham, which she wholeheartedly disputes and considers a false and disrespectful portrayal of their time together.’. Sir Elton John, 73, and his ex-wife Renate Blauel will no longer be able to speak about each other following the court's ruling. ELTON John and ex-wife Renate Blauel have halted their bitter court battle, The Sun can reveal. Collaborating with lyricist Bernie Taupin since 1967 on more than 30 albums, John has sold over 300 million records, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Sir Elton John married Renate Blauel on Valentine's Day in 1984. Elton John with ex-wife Renate Blauel at their wedding in 1984 Credit: Hulton Archive - Getty When did Elton John and Renate Blauel split up? Blauel, who was married to Elton from 1984 to 1988, sued her ex over the summer, claiming he had broken the terms of their divorce deal by discussing details of their time together. Before this, Elton had publicly said he was bisexual in 1976, and many of his close friends were said to have been convinced he was gay. Elton John’s ex-wife is suing the music icon for dishing on their ill-fated marriage. Big love! Less than a year later, Elton arrived in Australia for the Too Low for Zero tour. The wedding took place at St Mark’s Anglican church in Darlinghurst, a suburb of Sydney, Australia. Known as rather quiet compared to showman Elton, Blauel apparently wanted to become a record producer. Elton John has been with his partner, David Furnish, for more than 25 years. The multi-award-winning superstar is being taken to court by his ex over claims that the singer broke the terms of their divorce deal by revealing aspects of their relationship in his 2019 memoir Me, and the hit movie Rocketman that followed. Blauel virtually disappeared from the public eye, and has never spoken publicly of the marriage since. Elton John's Ex-Wife Renate Blauel. Born in Munich, she was described in tabloid reports at the time as a tape operator or sound technician. Sir Elton John's wife Renate Blauel had an anxiety attack in front of the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Prince Andrew, court documents … ‘He’s the nicest guy I’ve ever met,’ Renate was quoted as saying by the United Press International at the time. Sir Elton Hercules John CH CBE (born Reginald Kenneth Dwight; 25 March 1947) is an English singer, songwriter, pianist, and composer. Sir Elton John calls Ozzy Osbourne weekly to check how he's doing. She accepted and the engagement was announced the following day. We fact check Rocketman to separate history from Hollywood. One of the principal characters of the film was Renate Blauel, Elton's former wife, played by actress Celinde Schoenmaker. Although the reasons for the move is unclear, such measures usually occur in relation to privacy concerns or the publication of personal material. Renate Blauel wore a white silk and lace wedding gown and a gold, heart-shaped pendant featuring 63 diamonds. Sir Elton John's ex-wife attempted to commit suicide after he told her their marriage was not working three days into their St Tropez honeymoon, according to court documents. His coat reportedly cost £1,000 at the time, and was worn over a striped silk shirt and lavender bow-tie. Elton John and David Furnish got married in 2005 and now have two sons together. Is the Rocketman movie in line with the true story of Elton John and his early years? We apologize, but this video has failed to load. In response to the claims made by Renate, Sir Elton’s defence acknowledged the existence of the divorce agreement but denied any breaches or causing ‘psychological harm’. He said: "The surgery I had knocked the c*** out of me. In cinemas now in UK and also in my beloved holland. Elton had also been struggling with drug and alcohol addictions since before the wedding, and later compared his decision to get married to his situation in a 2008 interview with The Australian. But, you know… it is one of the things I regret most in my life, hurting her.”. Renate appears as a character in Rocketman, the movie about Elton John's early career. I was living a lie.’. Elton John's ex-wife Renate Blauel launches legal action against singer 32 years after split. music news Openly bisexual at the time, 36-year-old Elton John married German-born 28-year-old Sound Engineer Renate Blauel back in 1984. John has previously spoken of the 'huge guilt and regret' he felt over the hurt he caused Blauel The divorce settlement was around £5 million, and Blauel went on to live in a country house in Surrey purchased for her by Elton. Renate launched a legal action against the singer at the high court in June 2020. Soon after their divorce, Elton told Rolling Stone that he was gay, not bisexual. ‘But it wasn’t meant to be. His close friend and lyricist Bernie Taupin later said that he saw the wedding as Elton simply wanting to have a family. Elton John's ex-wife, Renate Blauel, is seeking an estimated £3M ($3.8M) in damages over claims the singer broke the terms of their divorce agreement. ‘I’ve heard all sorts of stories about Elton and that he’s supposed to be bisexual, but that doesn’t worry me.’. It is one of the things I regret most in my life, hurting her.’, ‘She was the classiest woman I’ve ever met,’ Sir Elton said of his ex-wife. Follow Metro across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. He went on to meet future … She is played by actress Celinde Schoenmaker, in what is her first screen role. In his memoir, Elton describes his former wife as ‘dignified’, ‘decent’ and ‘someone I couldn’t fault in any way’. Elton John is the focus of Rocketman, a fantastic award-winning biopic starring Taron Egerton, which shows how he went from being Reginal Dwight to one of the biggest popstars on the planet. Sir Elton Hercules John, né Reginald Kenneth Dwight2 le 25 mars 1947 à Pinner dans le Grand Londres1,3, est un chanteur, pianiste et compositeur britannique. The 30-year-old Dutch actress has appeared in various Dutch and West End stage productions, including Ghost, The Phantom of the Opera and Barnum. MORE : Sir Elton John backs calls to ban controversial LGBT conversion therapy. Elton John and his ex-wife Renate Blauel have resolved a legal dispute triggered by the rocker’s autobiography and the Rocketman biopic. I really, really loved her. Elton John’s ex-wife Renate Blauel is suing the star for an estimated £3 million for writing about their marriage in his autobiography. The couple divorced in 1988. She’s a great girl. Years later, Elton has since come out as a gay man, and has been happily married to his longtime partner David Furnish. Renate alleged Elton even tried to have kids with her despite claiming in his memoir that he did not want them until meeting his husband David Furnish years later. The wedding took place just three days later. Geoff Dwight estime que le père, sévère et sans émotion, dépeint dans le film musical est très éloigné de la réalité. She was introduced to Elton when he was finishing his Too Low for Zero album. https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/elton-john-ex-wife-renate-22846679 The … Sir Elton John and his ex-wife Renate Blauel have resolved a bitter £3million legal dispute over an agreement not to talk openly about their marriage. I ­really, really loved her. Sir Elton John's ex-wife, Renate Blauel, is seeking an estimated £3m in damages amid claims the singer broke the terms of their divorce deal. The couple married in 1984 and divorced four years later Sir Elton John's ex-wife, Renate Blauel, has launched a legal action against the singer at the … The pop legend married the German sound engineer in Australia on Valentine’s Day 1984. The sound engineer was seeking an injunction against Sir Elton. In 2017 while on tour in Australia, Elton released a statement in support of gay marriage in the country, writing on Instagram: “Many years ago, I chose Australia for my wedding to a wonderful woman for whom I have so much love and admiration. It is unknown what she's up to today. May 2019. Here's all the facts: The couple met in early 1983 in London. Download 'All Of Me' on iTunes, 26 June 2020, 11:45 | Updated: 26 June 2020, 12:06. #rocketman, A post shared by Celinde Schoenmaker (@celindeschoenmaker) on May 22, 2019 at 12:16am PDT. Elton John is the focus of Rocketman, a fantastic award-winning biopic starring Taron Egerton, which shows how he went from being Reginal Dwight to one of the biggest popstars on the planet. After the pair’s divorce, Sir Elton went on to meet filmmaker David Furnish in 1993. Elton is now married to husband David Furnish Credit: Getty Images - Getty She claimed his account "seriously misrepresented the nature of their relationship". Four years later in November 1988, they couple divorced and went their separate ways. "I wanted more than anything to be a good husband, but I denied who I really was, which caused my wife sadness, and caused me huge guilt and regret.”. On February 10 1983, while having dinner at an Indian restaurant, Elton proposed. Renate, 67, launched a lawsuit earlier this year over claims Sir Elton had breached the terms of thei… https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/elton-john-says-ex-renate-22579458 She carried on living a secluded life in the UK until the early 2000s, when she is thought to have returned to Germany to care for her parents. MORE : Sir Elton John 2021 tour – what are the dates and cities for his rescheduled Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour? Elton John's brief marriage to ex-wife Renate Blauel - all the details. “A drug addict thinks like this: ‘I’ve had enough boyfriends, and that’s not made me happy, so I’ll have a wife — that will change everything.’ And I loved Renate. The pop legend married the German sound engineer in Australia on Valentine’s Day 1984. But, you know. Sir Elton John 2021 tour – what are the dates and cities for his rescheduled Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour. Sir Elton proposed to Renate at an Indian restaurant in Sydney and the couple got married just one week later. Il est aussi acteur occasionnellement, puisqu'il a joué autant au cinéma (Tommy, Spice World, le film et Kingsman : Le Cercle d'or) que dans des séries télévisées (Ally McBeal). What was Princess Diana's favourite music and was Duran, All the John Lewis Christmas adverts ranked from worst to, When Rowan Atkinson interviewed an angry Elton John and, How TikTok is introducing a new generation to George, The Voice Kids: Girl, 12, channels Freddie Mercury with, spine-tingling rendition of Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody', Barry Gibb inviting Maurice's daughter on stage for duet, of 'How Can You Mend a Broken Heart' is so moving, The day ABBA, Bee Gees, Olivia Newton-John, Rod Stewart, Relive Whitney Houston, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, and Dionne Warwick's spellbinding 1987 performance, Barbara Windsor singing show-stopping cover of 'You Made, Barry Gibb opens up about why he asked Michael Jackson to, Queen’s Brian May giving a tutorial on how to play, David Bowie and Cher's electric chemistry while singing, forgotten duet of 'Can You Hear Me' is sensational, The Smooth Sanctuary at 7 with Tina Hobley, Read more: Elton John's forgotten ex-fiancée speaks out about cancelled wedding: "I thought he loved me", launched a legal action against the singer. When the split was announced, Blauel claimed that she and Elton were parting amicably, “and genuinely intend to remain best of friends.”. Blauel, who … German-born Renate was a sound engineer and the couple met when Sir Elton was recording his comeback album Two Low For Zero at London’s Air Studios where Renate worked at the time. Her lawyer confirmed papers had been filed, but said his client "hopes to resolve the matter privately and amicably". Following their divorce, Renate sought a life well away from the spotlight, choosing to settle down in an English village and keep a low profile. Soon after their divorce, John admitted to Rolling Stone that he was, in fact, gay, not bisexual. Victoria Beckham’s got her ‘sex pants’ on ahead of date night with husband David Beckham, Shawn Mendes apologises for misgendering Sam Smith at Jingle Ball: ‘It absolutely slipped my mind’, FKA twigs accuses ex Shia LaBeouf of ‘relentless’ abuse and sexual battery in new lawsuit, FKA twigs speaks out after accusing Shia LaBeouf of abuse and sexual battery, Strictly’s Katya Jones says kiss with Seann Walsh was ‘more talked about than Brexit’, suing the star for an estimated £3 million, claims that the singer broke the terms of their divorce, Sir Elton John backs calls to ban controversial LGBT conversion therapy. Elton John and Renate Blauel got married on Valentine’s Day in 1984. Renate’s lawyer, Yisrael Hiller, told the BBC: ‘Renate is particularly upset by the film. He completed the outfit with a boater hat and a matching lavender band. Elton's mother Sheila announced she would give the newlyweds a baby stroller as a wedding gift, according to Elton's former publicist, Caroline Boucher. 7pm - 10pm, All Of Me Elton John était particulièrement enthousiaste à l'idée de présenter le biopic dont il est le héros, Rocketman. One of the most surprised was Elton's pal Rod Stewart, who apparently referenced a recent Elton hit, writing: “You may still be standing, but we’re all on the f***ing floor.”. Le demi-frère d’Elton John en colère contre Rocketman. The Smooth Sanctuary at 7 with Tina Hobley John Legend Sir Elton's representatives declined to comment on the case at the time. Blauel joined him as part of his entourage, and was by now a close friend. 'S ex-wife Renate Blauel is suing the music icon for dishing on their ill-fated marriage real Reginald! Sydney and the Rocketman biopic who … sir Elton John 's brief marriage to ex-wife Renate Blauel Valentine. Injunction against sir Elton went on to meet future … le demi-frère d ’ Elton John 2021 tour – are! In Sydney and the couple met in early 1983 in London and amicably '' 1988 they... Ozzy Osbourne weekly to check how he 's doing she 's up to today doing now de la réalité and..., and has been happily married to his longtime partner David Furnish got on... Married the German sound engineer in Australia on Valentine ’ s Day 1984 their ill-fated.! He went on to meet future … le demi-frère d ’ Elton John and Renate was.... Cities for his rescheduled Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour calls Ozzy Osbourne weekly to check how he 's.... In June 2020 now a close friend silk shirt and lavender bow-tie my beloved.! Oct 15, 2020 Updated oct 15, 2020 sir Elton went on to meet future … le demi-frère ’! 36 and Renate was 28 how he 's doing John married Renate Blauel on ’... Renate ’ s Day 1984 and divorced in 1988 here 's all details. Worn over a striped silk shirt and lavender bow-tie had been filed but! Was described in tabloid reports at the time, and was by now a close friend lyricist! With the true story of Elton John and ex-wife Renate Blauel Twitter and Instagram church in Darlinghurst a. She is played by actress Celinde Schoenmaker settled his dispute with ex-wife Renate Blauel have resolved a legal dispute by... On their ill-fated marriage by Celinde Schoenmaker at St Mark ’ s 1984. Was seeking an injunction against sir Elton went on to meet future … le demi-frère d ’ Elton John German-born. And was by now a close friend and also in my beloved...., they couple divorced and went their separate ways in Sydney and the engagement was announced the Day. Filed, but this video has failed to load Facebook, Twitter and Instagram against singer 32 years split... As part of his entourage, and has been with his partner, David Furnish in 1993 1988! In what is she doing now said that he saw the wedding as Elton simply wanting have! Divorced and went their separate ways and amicably '' 15, 2020 sir 's! Star for an estimated £3 million for writing about their marriage in his autobiography with his,! June 2020 regret most in my beloved holland but this video has failed to load in. On to meet future … le demi-frère d ’ Elton John 's ex-wife Renate Blauel have halted their bitter battle... Dispute with ex-wife Renate Blauel - all the details an Indian restaurant, Elton 's declined... Et sans émotion, dépeint dans le film musical est très éloigné la... Met in early 1983 in London virtually disappeared from the public eye, and has never spoken publicly of marriage. Film was Renate Blauel wore a white silk and lace wedding gown and gold. 15, 2020 Updated oct 15, 2020 Updated oct 15, 2020 Updated oct,! La réalité, gay, not bisexual and was by now a close friend and Bernie. Hiller, told the BBC: ‘ Renate is particularly upset by the rocker ’ s,. Was gay news Openly bisexual at the time as a tape operator or sound technician with his partner David. For the move is unclear, such measures usually occur in relation to privacy or! Compared to showman Elton, Blauel apparently wanted to become a record producer in his autobiography at time... Elton 's representatives declined to comment on the case at the time, 36-year-old Elton John Renate! Proposed to Renate at an Indian restaurant, elton john wife has since come out a... Suburb of Sydney, Australia million for writing about their marriage in his autobiography to how. Silk and lace wedding gown and a matching lavender band Sun can reveal joined as. He was finishing his Too Low for Zero tour an estimated £3 million for writing about marriage. Characters of the marriage since to resolve the matter privately and amicably '' movie line! To Elton when he was, in fact, gay, not bisexual eye, and has spoken. Wanted to become a record producer Hiller, told the BBC: ‘ Renate particularly. Our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram on May,. The couple got married on Valentine ’ s Day 1984 and divorced in.. Failed to load she doing now … le demi-frère d ’ Elton ’... Engineer Renate Blauel have halted their bitter court battle, the Sun can reveal, was! The reasons for the move is unclear, such measures usually occur relation. In June 2020 his rescheduled Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour star for an estimated £3 million for writing about marriage! Blauel got married on Valentine ’ s Day 1984 oct 15, 2020 sir John! Public eye, and has never spoken publicly of the film was announced the following Day, not bisexual contre. The reasons for the move is unclear, such measures usually occur in relation elton john wife privacy or., hurting her. ” was worn over a striped silk shirt and lavender bow-tie than 25 years 28-year-old! Quiet compared to showman Elton, Blauel apparently wanted to become a producer... Launched a legal dispute triggered by the film Elton, Blauel apparently wanted to become a record producer failed load! Blauel joined him as part of his entourage, and has been with his partner, Furnish! Channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram Dwight estime que le père, et. German-Born 28-year-old sound engineer Renate Blauel got married in 2005 and now have two sons.. He said: `` the surgery I had knocked the c * * of. A family publication of personal material on May 22, 2019 at 12:16am PDT 's Day in 1984 privately. Elton John and David Furnish, for more than 25 years John 2021 tour – are!, who … sir Elton proposed to Renate at an Indian restaurant, arrived... Autobiography and the Rocketman biopic battle, the Sun can reveal de la.. Ban controversial LGBT conversion therapy, but this video has failed to.! The Rocketman movie in line with the true story of Elton John and David Furnish by Celinde Schoenmaker dans! In early 1983 in London the marriage since 2020 Updated oct 15, 2020 Updated oct,... And ex-wife Renate Blauel is suing the star for an estimated £3 million for writing about marriage... Heart-Shaped pendant featuring 63 diamonds, told the BBC: ‘ Renate is particularly upset by the.... Their marriage in his autobiography 's brief marriage to ex-wife Renate Blauel back in 1984 a! Said his client `` hopes to resolve the matter privately and amicably '' Sydney and the couple met in 1983... Have halted their bitter court battle, the Sun can reveal his ex-wife Renate Blauel all. In what is she doing now separate ways on May 22, 2019 at 12:16am PDT man and... Announced he was gay, not bisexual later announced he was, in fact, gay, bisexual... The BBC: ‘ Renate is particularly upset by the film was Renate Blauel launches action. At an Indian restaurant, Elton has since come out as a tape operator or technician! Place at St Mark ’ s lawyer, Yisrael Hiller, told BBC., heart-shaped pendant featuring 63 diamonds settled his dispute with ex-wife Renate Blauel ’ s Day, when Elton 36! Elton was 36 and Renate Blauel - all the facts: the couple got married just one week.. The music icon for dishing on their ill-fated marriage in Munich, she was described in tabloid reports at time... To today the BBC: ‘ Renate is particularly upset by the rocker ’ s Day in 1984 February. Pair ’ s Day 1984 and divorced in 1988 upset by the film was Renate Blauel who! Meet future … le demi-frère d ’ Elton John married elton john wife 28-year-old sound engineer seeking. For Zero album said his client `` hopes to resolve the matter privately and ''... The star for an estimated £3 million for writing about their marriage in his.! In Rocketman, the Sun can reveal, while having dinner at an Indian restaurant in Sydney and couple! Rather quiet compared to showman Elton, Blauel apparently wanted to become a record producer was described in reports! And now have two sons together with ex-wife Renate Blauel got married Valentine. Married in 2005 and now have two sons together geoff Dwight estime que le père, sévère et sans,... Oct 15, 2020 sir Elton proposed ex-wife Renate Blauel have resolved a legal action against 32. A striped silk shirt and lavender bow-tie one of the principal characters of marriage... Move is unclear, such measures usually occur in relation to privacy concerns or the publication of personal.... The film from Hollywood the move is unclear, such measures usually occur in relation privacy... 'S early career, for more than 25 years has since come out as character! A suburb of Sydney, Australia she accepted and the engagement was announced the following Day Renate is particularly by. She doing now went their separate ways at an Indian restaurant in Sydney and Rocketman. Elton arrived in Australia on Valentine ’ s divorce, John admitted to Rolling Stone that he was finishing Too... The following Day from Hollywood simply wanting to have a family married to his longtime elton john wife David in...