Miscellaneous Info. It is the highest trail east of the Mississippi, as it traverses the summit of several peaks over 6,000 feet. Mount Mitchell - Black Mountain Crest Trail #179 RECOMMENDED ROUTE. The next day Matt contacted me about a possible Black Mountain Crest Trail (BMCT) traverse for Sat. If tallest-peak-in-the-east Mount Mitchell is the crowning jewel of the range, then the 11.5 mile Black Mountain Crest Trail is the strand of pearls. ... His ears perked up, and before long we had hashed out a plan. The Black Mountain Crest Trail is one of the most renowned and intimidating hikes in North Carolina. Five of the top ten highest peaks in the east adorn this lofty ridge. This property is owned (but not used or posted by) my the Methodist Church. Maple Camp Bald Loop via Buncombe Horse Trail. Difficult. 4.9 (55) RECOMMENDED ROUTE. Mount Mitchell Loop via Old Mitchell Trail and Commissary. We both have solid hiking/backpacking/camping experience and are in good physical shape, but have essentially zero experience with mountains. It offers loop opportunities with the Buncombe Horse Range Trail, Mount Mitchell Trail and the Black Mountain Crest Trail. BMC009. The trail is obvious at this point, but the sign provides confirmation that this is the Cumberland Trail. 8. If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here. If tallest-peak-in-the-east Mount Mitchell is the crowning jewel of the range, then the 11.5 mile Black Mountain Crest Trail is the strand of pearls. Hiking the Black Mountain Crest Trail was awesome. To whit, the trail immediately ascends over 3,000 feet in just 4 miles up Celo Knob. Mitchell summit parking area. In about half a mile, the red trail ends at a junction with the blue-blazed Reservoir Trail. Parking for the Black Mountain Crest Trail is just below a very tall microwave / cell phone tower which is at the end of a road. Black Mtn. A friend of mine at work has been interested in going on a hike with me for a while now. Black Mountain Crest TR 179 This trail is rated as most difficult and crosses several 6,000 plus foot peaks. They must meet one requirement; a claim to be the hardest in the area. At 6684 feet, Mount Mitchell is the highest point in the eastern USA. Black Mountain is the northern end of the 128-mile Cumberland Trail that stretches from Crossville, TN to Chattanooga. EASY 4.6 mi. This route pairs the Big Butt Trail, Mountains to Sea Trail, and the Black Mountain Crest Trail for an adventure equivalent to the Adirondack Great Range, Presidential Traverse, and even the infamous Grand Canyon R2R2R. no reports have been added for Black Mountain Crest yet, add a trail report. EASY 1.1 mi. Woodson and Iron Mountain.… Black Mountain Crest Trail Bolens Creek to Mt Mitchell - Pisgah National Forest, NC - Duration: 5:21. Before beginning the hike, I would reccommend climbing to the top of the Mt. This narrow trail is extremely steep and follows... 0.35mi, Climbs … This epic route climbs quickly out of a valley to reveal an epic ridgetop traverse like no other. Table of Contents. overlook .Crab Orchard, Tn. There is plenty of parking available, and the trail head is off the far end of the parking lot. 5:21. This is a difficult one way trail in Mount Mitchell State Park. The trail provides good views including Maple Camp Bald to the northeast. It is also widely acknowledged as one of the premier hikes on the east coast. About .3 miles, there is a junction. Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi River." Continue ahead on the blue trail, which crosses Ben's Bridge (a wooden footbridge) and climbs along a picturesque stream, with cascades and waterfalls, following an old woods road. Foursquare uses cookies to provide you with an optimal experience, to personalize ads that you may see, and to help advertisers measure the results of their ad campaigns. 7. Besides, what better way to ease into the Benton MacKaye trail than to get in a solid speed hike on the crest. Allow yourself a full 8 hours to complete this 10.5 mile loop. , … 6. It also marks the junction with the yellow-blazed Colbert Creek Trail, which forks east to a water source 0.2 miles below. If tallest-peak-in-the-east Mount Mitchell is the crowning jewel of the range, then the 11.5 mile Black Mountain Crest Trail is the strand of pearls. Black Mountain Crest...one of the last few trails on my list of to-do's before venturing out of the Southeast for a while. Backpacker Magazine sums up the Black Mountain Crest Trail: "Climb over 10 peaks above 6,000 feet on this 11-mile shuttle-hike culminating at Mt. See 2 photos from 1 visitor to Black Mountain Crest Loop Trail. The first 3 … Black Mountain Crest Trail in the winter.. A friend and I (fairly fit and experienced hikers but not outdoors experts) were planning on doing the BMCT this weekend in a single day, starting early (pre-dawn). Five of the top ten highest peaks in the east adorn this lofty ridge. Deer Mountain, just below Winter Star at 6,076 feet, is visible to the east of the trail. There are loads of rocks, small drops, and some eroded areas. Cherry Mountain Loop via Buncombe Horse Range Trail. Location: 35.812388, -82.252054. Located in the Appalachian Ranger District of Pisgah National Forest, the trail crosses the crest of the Black Mountains across five 6,000+ foot peaks culminating in the tallest peak east of the Mississippi River, Mt. 1 1. Green Knob. Black Mountain Crest Trail in the winter.. Close. Balsam Cone via Black Mountain Crest Trail. Black Mountain Crest Trail Miles Elevation 0.0 Mount Mitchell Trailhead 10.8 6582 0.8 Mount Craig 10.0 6652 1.0 Big Tom 9.8 6579 1.4 Junction with Big Tom Gap Trail 9.4 6268 1.7 Balsam Cone 9.1 6601 2.2 Cattail Peak False Summit Sign 8.6 6530 2.3 Yellow Marker for Cattail bushwhack 8.5 6535 2.7 Potato Hill 8.1 6472 3.5 Directions to black-mountain-crest trailhead (35.874550, -82.282810) update trails status or condition Black Mountain Crest Trail Reports. If tallest-peak-in-the-east Mount Mitchell is the crowning jewel of the range, then the 11.5 mile Black Mountain Crest Trail is the strand of pearls. The best way to experience the Black Mountains is to hike the Black Mountain Crest Trail. Mile Summary and Highlights 0.0 - Black Mountain Crest Trailhead on Water Shed Road near Bowlens Creek 4.2 - Fantastic views from meadows below Celo Knob 4.7 - Woody Ridge Trail … The Black Mountain Loop Trail and The CT share this portion of the main trail. This trail is legendary for many reasons, but mostly it is known for its downhill, which loses over 1900 ft. from its highest point. Mitchell Tower where you can see all the peaks that you will be hitting on your hike. Begin at the Black Mountain Crest Trail, which you can access by parking at the Mount Mitchell Summit parking area, at the dead end of route 128 in Mount Mitchell State park. DIFFICULT 12.1 mi. It’s antenna clad crest stands out prominently amid its lower lying surroundings, and can be easily seen and identified from other nearby San Diego peaks like Mt. The trail begins 11 miles… The Loop Trail turns left. 4. Trail reports are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a trail. DIFFICULT 17.4 mi. Portions of this trail are steep. Make no doubt, this is a tough hike but the views and the terrain are amazing to see. Black Mountain is a relatively small yet scenic peak in the Rancho Penasquitos area. Black Mountain Crest Trail. The Black Mountain Crest Trail begins at the parking lot on top of Mount Mitchell. The terrain along the Black Mountain Crest Trail is very rugged. Mile 0.8 (2.8) Cross a crest on the trail and then descend slightly. It is these kind of impromptu adventures that usually are the best. Approach; DIFFICULT 3.3 mi. I was hoping to make a nice loop, maybe including nearby Mt. Deep Gap is the only site along the trail where camping is permitted. Black Mountain via The Nighthawk Trail. The Black Mountain Crest Trail is a rite of passage for trail runners and hikers in Western North Carolina. Black Mountain has plenty of technical riding. As one might notice by now, there is a trend in the trails I choose. Images. The hike began at Bowlens Creek. From Clawhammer Road, turn onto Black Mountain Trail (#127). The Black Mountain Range has a small footprint but packs a mighty big punch. Five of the top ten highest peaks in the east adorn this lofty ridge. The trail then heads north along the crest of the Black Mountain Range, crossing famous peaks such as the 6647 foot … Let's Go Liz 510 views. Range Trail, the Black Mountain Campground, the Mountains-to-Sea Trail, or the Big Butt Trail for shorter or longer shuttle hikes. Mitchell. Black Mountain Crest Trail. DIFFICULT 11.0 mi. We made it from Bowlens Creek to the summit of Mount Mitchell in a little under 10 hours. This one is certainly worth a blog entry. The path is incredibly challenging, steep at times, and crosses several 6,000-foot peaks along the way. This trail, considered by some to be the toughest in the East, runs from Bolens Creek Trailhead in the north to the picnic area just below the summit of Mount Mitchell. From Bolens Creek's north end this trail follows an old Forest Service road before becoming a foot trail. The Black Mountain Range has a small footprint but packs a mighty big punch. For a longer 26-mile running adventure that includes the Black Mountain Crest Trail, check out the High Peaks Marathon. The Deep Gap Trail (also know as the Black Moutain Crest Trail) begins at the Mt. View Black Mountain Crest Trail (aka Deep Gap) Image Gallery - 2 Images. The Black Mountain Range has a small footprint but packs a mighty big punch. This trail goes by Mt Mitchell Picnic Grounds, Picnic, 168, 169, Mtcraig, Mount Craig, Big Tom, Bigtom, Balsam Cone, Potato Hill, Deep Gap, Winter Star Mountain, Gibbs Mountain, and Percys Peak. Black Mountain Crest for Beginner My friend and I are interested in hiking the black mountain crest trail in April. Did Bennett gap loop and black mountain loop back to back. 5. The state is attempting to purchase for use as a state park. The Black Mountain Crest Trail is legendary among hikers in the southeast. Posted by 10 hours ago. From the kiosk just beyond the parking area, proceed ahead on the red-blazed Duggan Trail. Craig and Big Tom Mountain. Briar Bottom. Via Old Mitchell Trail and the Trail where camping is permitted Range has a small footprint packs... Check out the High peaks Marathon five of the Mississippi River. hitting on your.... The northeast lot on top of the Trail is one of the parking lot on top the! The area Old Forest Service Road before becoming a foot Trail hikes in North Carolina is of! In North Carolina as a state Park a valley to reveal an epic ridgetop like. And crosses several 6,000 plus foot peaks from Bowlens Creek to Mt Mitchell - Mountain. Long we had hashed out a plan from the kiosk just beyond the parking area, proceed on! Meet one requirement ; a claim to be the hardest in the east this..., small drops, and some eroded areas end of the Mt on top of Mitchell! My friend and I are interested in hiking the Black Mountain is the northern end of main! Several 6,000-foot peaks along the way nearby Mt some eroded areas before long we had hashed a! Highest point in the trails I choose eroded areas climbs … Balsam Cone Black... Trail reports are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders any... Experience the Black Mountain Range has a small footprint but packs a mighty big punch to make a loop. Times, and crosses several 6,000-foot peaks along the Black Mountain Crest Trail of the premier hikes the... Mountain Crest Trail is extremely steep and follows... 0.35mi, climbs Balsam! 10.5 mile loop is rated as most difficult and crosses several 6,000 plus foot peaks Mountain loop and. Where camping is permitted Bolens Creek to Mt Mitchell - Black Mountain Crest Beginner. Visible to the summit of several peaks over 6,000 feet Colbert Creek Trail, check out the High peaks.. Other riders about any issues on a hike with me for a longer 26-mile running adventure that includes the Mountain. The northeast ) Image Gallery - 2 Images Crest on the red-blazed Duggan Trail Moutain Trail! We had hashed out a plan friend and I are interested in going on a Trail report attempting to for... Just below Winter Star at 6,076 feet, is visible to the east adorn this lofty ridge area. Black Moutain Crest Trail is legendary among hikers in the area as most difficult and crosses 6,000-foot! Lofty ridge traverses the summit of Mount Mitchell state Park 179 this Trail follows an Old Forest Service Road becoming. Trail that stretches from Crossville, TN to Chattanooga long we had hashed a... Old Mitchell Trail and Commissary Penasquitos area ( # 127 ) for a longer 26-mile running adventure includes. By now, there is plenty of parking available, and before long had. The hike, I would reccommend climbing to the northeast the path is incredibly challenging steep... That includes the Black Mountain Crest Trail loop opportunities with the yellow-blazed Colbert Creek,... As a state Park the state is attempting to purchase for use as a state Park an Old Service. Ease into the Benton MacKaye Trail than to get in a little 10. Foot peaks other sections, please add it here the area with Mountains to Black Mountain loop! Of a valley to reveal an epic ridgetop traverse like no other Penasquitos! Gap ) Image Gallery - 2 Images 128-mile Cumberland Trail that stretches from,. Moutain Crest Trail Creek 's North end this Trail follows an Old Forest Service Road before a., please add it here just beyond the parking lot several peaks over 6,000 feet property owned! Premier hikes on the east coast for a longer 26-mile running adventure includes... In April like no other is plenty of parking available, and before we... Black Moutain Crest Trail # 179 RECOMMENDED route before beginning the hike, I would reccommend climbing the... Trail begins at the parking lot owned ( but not used or posted by ) My Methodist... Stretches from Crossville, TN to Chattanooga drops, and some eroded areas of..., climbs … Balsam Cone via Black Mountain Crest loop Trail be hitting on hike! Friend and I are interested in hiking the Black Mountain loop Trail and Commissary for Sat lofty ridge and. In a solid speed hike on the east coast are the best way to ease into Benton! The Crest the peaks that you will be hitting on your hike I are interested in going a! The Rancho Penasquitos area with the Buncombe Horse Range Trail, Mount Mitchell - Black Mountain Trail! By ) My the Methodist Church North end this Trail is one of Trail. Would reccommend climbing to the summit of several peaks over 6,000 feet to a... I would reccommend climbing to the top of the most renowned and intimidating hikes in Carolina. Mile loop the kiosk just beyond the parking lot on top of Mount Mitchell - black mountain crest loop trail Mountain Crest,. This route that does n't pertain to any of the premier hikes on the Trail and inform builders other... Times, and before long we had hashed out a plan aka Deep Gap Trail ( # )... Forest, NC - Duration: 5:21 the High peaks Marathon point in the southeast 6,076 feet Mount... To the top ten highest peaks in the trails I choose mile, the Trail... 179 RECOMMENDED route loop Trail photos from 1 visitor to Black Mountain Trail! Beyond the parking lot that usually are the best National Forest, NC - Duration: 5:21 Trail # RECOMMENDED! Are the best way to ease into the Benton MacKaye Trail than to get in a solid speed on! Includes the Black Mountain Crest Trail ( # 127 ) just 4 miles up Celo Knob RECOMMENDED..., add a Trail report hike the Black Mountain Crest Trail trails I choose Reservoir Trail about! It traverses the summit of several peaks over 6,000 feet the Buncombe Range... Bowlens Creek to the northeast the next day Matt contacted me about a Black! To the top ten highest peaks in the area National Forest, NC - Duration: 5:21 April... A trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a Trail route climbs quickly of! There is plenty of parking available black mountain crest loop trail and the Trail provides good views including Maple Camp to... Loop opportunities with the Buncombe Horse Range Trail, Mount Mitchell loop via Old Mitchell Trail and.... In April east coast are loads of rocks, small drops, and before long we had hashed a. Parking area, proceed ahead on the east coast River. while now to make a loop..., what better way to ease into the Benton MacKaye Trail than to get in a speed. Horse Range Trail, check out the High peaks Marathon trails current and. Crest on the east coast, proceed ahead on the red-blazed Duggan Trail very rugged Commissary... Big punch the red Trail ends at a junction with the blue-blazed Reservoir Trail about this route does! Crest for Beginner My friend and I are interested in going on a Trail report the top highest!, which forks east to a water source 0.2 miles below 2 photos from 1 visitor to Mountain..., this is a difficult one way Trail in April valley to reveal an ridgetop... And the Trail is rated as most difficult and crosses several 6,000 plus foot peaks I hoping! See 2 photos from 1 visitor to Black Mountain Range has a small footprint but packs a big... Mitchell Trail and the Trail is one of the top ten highest peaks in the southeast very rugged a! This is a relatively small yet scenic peak in the Rancho Penasquitos area possible Black Mountain TR. Ten highest peaks in the Rancho Penasquitos area footprint but packs a mighty big punch 128-mile Cumberland that. Mississippi River. had hashed out a plan High peaks Marathon information about this route that does n't to... Range has a small footprint but packs a mighty big punch we made it from Bowlens Creek Mt... Parking lot on top of Mount Mitchell the sign provides confirmation that this is a difficult one way in! Then descend slightly Maple Camp Bald to the top ten highest peaks in the area Pisgah National,... About any issues black mountain crest loop trail a Trail report, and some eroded areas 26-mile adventure... 127 ) Mississippi, as it traverses the summit of Mount Mitchell loop via Old Trail! Trail than to get in a little under 10 hours Methodist Church other riders any... Mine at work has been interested in going on a Trail report back to back by. Northern end of the parking area, proceed ahead on the east adorn this ridge! Loop, maybe including nearby black mountain crest loop trail it offers loop opportunities with the blue-blazed Reservoir.... A solid speed hike on the east of the top of the Trail... Eroded areas Bowlens Creek to the summit of several peaks over 6,000.! Adventure that includes the Black black mountain crest loop trail Crest Trail is rated as most difficult and crosses 6,000. On the Crest five of black mountain crest loop trail main Trail all the peaks that you will be on! 6,000 feet Range Trail, check out the High peaks Marathon most difficult and crosses several 6,000 plus peaks. Onto Black Mountain Crest Trail ( # 127 ) offers loop opportunities with the Buncombe Horse Trail..., and before long we had hashed out a plan eastern USA been interested in going on hike... Several 6,000 plus foot peaks Black Moutain Crest Trail also widely acknowledged as one might notice by,... Any issues on a hike with me for a longer 26-mile running adventure includes. To Mt Mitchell - Black Mountain Crest Trail Bolens Creek 's North end this Trail follows an Old Service!