Twice ships appeared in the distance but their crews did not see the distress flares Tami sent into the sky. . The first three weeks of the voyage were pure happiness and freedom. Then the radio crackled to life with a warning that Hurricane Raymond was bearing down on them. . It was 27 hours before she regained consciousness to an eerie silence and utter devastation. At times she thought madness had set in, when she hallucinated land that was not there. Twice, too, a plane flew overhead, but again she was not spotted. Tami returned to the US and was reunited with her family, finding herself among other people once again reignited the grief she had buried in order to survive. I scream and rage at the vast sea that’s torn my man from me… I slip in and out of consciousness, delirious, half-dead.’. ‘I had always wanted to write it. . For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/, Comments are subject to our community guidelines, which can be viewed, Tami Oldham lost fiance Richard Sharp after a killer wave hit their yacht, The boat is left at the mercy of giant waves in new film Adrift, Trailer for Adrift, the new movie starring Shailene Woodley and Sam Claflin, Bond . Briefly, she contemplated joining her fiancé in the depths of the now calm water. She and her fiancé, Richard Sharp, had been sailing for the past six months. Twice – on day 16 and then day 34 – she came within moments of rescue when a ship appeared on the horizon, but they failed to see her distress flares or the red T-shirt that she waved desperately at the end of an oar. Yet the reality for this gilded couple, Tami Oldham Ashcraft and her British fiance, Richard Sharp, could barely have proved more catastrophic – as the course they set put them directly into the path of Hurricane Raymond and one of the most destructive storms in recorded history. The original was shredded and the mast broken, but there was a heavy-duty sail still rolled up in its cover. Tami found the boat’s tinned rations among the wreckage and calculated that she could make them last up 40 days before starvation would set in. ‘Fight for your life.’. In September 1983, 23-year-old American sailor Tami Oldham Ashcraft set to sea for a 31-day crossing from Tahiti to San Diego, California. Tami Oldham Ashcraft, left, was sailing with her fiance Richard Sharp when he was washed overboard during a storm featuring 140-knot winds and 40ft waves. The couple had already covered more than 50,000 miles of ocean sailing together so the prospect of covering 4,000 miles together over the course of three weeks wasn't daunting. “But no Richard. Her story inspired the 2018 film Adrift. She created a makeshift sail and rigged up a way to pump water from the cabin. FOR loved-up young adventurer Tami Oldham, sailing a yacht across the Pacific with her sexy fiance was meant to be 4,000 miles of sun-kissed bliss. 679215 Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF. We hugged, laughed, made love and relaxed into 20 days of paradise.’, The couple set off on the 4,000 mile trip on board the Hazana across the Pacific Ocean. storm strikes as Richard and Tami struggle to stay on board, Alone . Tami shouted his name over and over again, but found only empty ocean. The navigation station is in pieces. This service is provided on News Group Newspapers' Limited's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy. They had decided to take a … ‘There were times I didn’t even want to live any more because I didn’t know how I was going to go on. It took her years to cope with the trauma caused by the loss of her fiancé and the violence of the hurricane.Oldham eventually wrote the story of her ordeal in a book titled “Red Sky In Mourning: The True Story Of A Woman’s Courage And Survival At Sea” from which Adrift is inspired. Tami recalled: “While I was in survival mode, the grief was fairly low. Scrambling out onto the deck she looked desperately for Richard but found only wreckage. It helped me to focus, to keep myself on track.’. But 20 days in to their dream voyage, a hurricane struck — whipping up waves as tall as skyscrapers. Together they sailed a yacht Richard had built himself to Tahiti, where Richard proposed. When Tami Oldham and her fiancé Richard Sharp set sail from Tahiti to San Diego, they had no idea that they would be sailing into one of the worst hurricanes in … And so the days went by with the voice as her only companion on the lonely waters. In her absolute solitude Tami pondered whether she was already dead; that she had become impossible to see, and the thought drove her close to ending her life. Now her ordeal and the extraordinary memoir that followed have been made into a big-budget Hollywood film, Adrift, set for release in June, and featuring British actor Sam Claflin as Richard and Shailene Woodley as Tami. Confused, Tami at first feared she might have brain damage, yet the voice – sometimes Richard’s, sometimes her own, sometimes her parents’ – was persistent. It was time to contemplate her loss, yet Tami’s inner spirit once again counselled her to take courage. Get the water out of the boat.”. She heard: “Never leave the boat. . The two of them spend more time together and begin to plan a trip to sail to Japan. Her serious head injuries meant that it was six years before she was capable of reading a book once again, let alone writing one and it was only after marriage and her first child, that she finally felt able to tell her story. That's what Tami Oldham and her fiancŽ Richard Sharp did in September of 1983, when they agreed to deliver the yacht Hazana from the South Pacific to its owners in San Diego, California. It wasn’t as intense as when I got to shore and the survival was over, and I could see people together and everything kept reminding me of him. He insisted she take cover below deck while he tried to steer the Hazana to safety, then gave her a reassuring wink as she headed downwards. Texas GOP chairman calls for secession, Diamond and Silk demand military intervention, and Rudy Giuliani fumes that it's 'censorship' after the Supreme Court refuses to hear a case to throw out millions of votes, Republican senator Ben Sasse hails Supreme Court for 'closing the book on the nonsense' and slams Donald Trump's conspiracy theoriesÂ, GOP Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner files complaint to the House Ethics Committee urging the panel to 'immediately open an investigation' into Eric Swalwell's relationship with a suspected Chinese spy, Happy Chanukah from our family to yours! When I realised he wasn’t there, I wanted to die. It sticks to my tongue like a slug to concrete. Recovery was long and emotionally traumatic. Tami Oldham and Richard Sharp had decided to take a break from sailing in Sharp’s 36-foot sailboat. Sadly, Richard was thrown from the vessel and lost at sea, leaving Tami to navigate the waters alone. On a 4,000-mile sailing trip from Tahiti to San Diego, Tami Oldham Ashcraft and her fiancé got caught in a category-four hurricane. Then, just before the killer wave struck, “all motion stopped”. It details how, in … It urged her to get up, to eat and to make a plan to get to land. The cabin was half-filled with water, everything inside it smashed or scattered on the floor. Tami Oldham Ashcraft (born February 20, 1960) is an American sailor and author who, in 1983, survived 41 days adrift in the Pacific Ocean. She wrote of that moment of coming to: “The boat’s smashed to smithereens, the mast and sails are gone — ripped clean away. I just really had a hard time,’ she recalled. It seemed like a good idea at the time, especially for two people who were crazy about sailing, very much in love and planning a future together. 23-year-old Tami Oldham and her British fiancé, Richard Sharp (34), had been pleasure sailing his 36-foot sailboat, the Mayaluga, for the previous six months. We're gonna die out here! ‘I held so much of this in for so long. Richard was nowhere to be seen. She found a vial of morphine and decided to kill herself to avoid the lingering death she was certain would be her fate. Oh, my God, we're gonna die out here! This Tami Oldham Ashcraft interview features the real woman who lived the experience depicted in the Adrift movie. To see all content on The Sun, please use the Site Map. Public-school educated Richard, from Cornwall, had been set to follow his officer father into the Royal Navy, but was thrown out of the academy for insubordination. Now I choose when to think about it, instead of it being always there.’. She talks about Shailene Woodley playing her and how actor Sam Claflin has an uncanny resemblance to her former fiancé Richard Sharp. Then a British couple hired them to sail their bigger yacht, the Hazana to San Diego — Tami’s home town. . Tami Oldham : You're not supposed to say that! She said: “I think Richard was definitely with me, that he was helping guide me and being there with me because we shared such a passion for each other and for life. Tami Oldham was born in the year 1960 on February 20th in San Diego, California now her age is 59 years as of 2020. She also found some beer and – incongruously – Cuban cigars, which became her nightly treats. The British towns where VEG has almost vanished... and why... We had to tell our children Daddy could die on Everest... we... Large group of migrants harass British lorry driver in Calais, Giuliani brings voter fraud witness Melissa Carone to Michigan hearing, Woman is tackled to ground after trying to stab police officer, The Crown makes The Royals look 'inept idiots' and it's 'dangerous', Aftermath of suicide bomb outside FSB HQ in southern Russian village, Royal expert: William likely to end royal Sandringham Christmas, Care home resident breaks down after recognising daughter's voice, Terrifying moment driver loses control and ploughs into pedestrians, Barbara Windsor makes first appearance as Peggy on EastEnders, Barbara Windsor shows The Queen around the set of EastEnders, Boris Johnson meets Ursula von der Leyen in last-ditch Brexit talks, Prince Harry surprsies previous winners of WellChild Awards on Zoom, Red Sky in Mourning: A True Story of Love, Loss, and Survival at Sea: Amazon.co.uk: Tami Oldham Ashcraft, Susea McGearhart: 9780786867912: Books. They had already spent a year and a half together on the Pacific, delivering and mending boats. Realising she did not have enough supplies to last her until the US mainland, she set course for the nearest land, Hawaii. The comments below have not been moderated. ‘Even in our darkest hours, even in the wilderness, truly, we are never alone.’. The boat was all-but destroyed: masts were broken off and the waterlogged sails floated uselessly in the water. It was the last time she would hear the voice that had truly saved her life. She settled in Washington state and in 1994 married property developer Ed Ashcraft. Five months before the hurricane, Tami Oldham arrives in Tahiti on board the schooner Sofia and meets Richard Sharp, a British sailor. “It wasn’t as intense as when I got to shore, the survival was over and I could see people together and everything kept reminding me of him. Tami Oldham is a famous American author, Businesswomen, who is the owner of Finish Line Auto Repair and also a Category- … But less than two weeks into their voyage, disaster struck. happy lovers Tami and Richard, Fear . I grab it, yank the lid off, scoop out a mouthful. ‘I’m fairly headstrong, and thought “Oh, I can get through this on my own.” Now looking back, at times I really needed some professional help.’ Writing Red Sky In Mourning, the memoir which formed the basis for the film, was a part of her recovery. Tami then investigated further and realised the yacht wasn’t letting in any more water. If you noticed that the 2018 movie Adrift suddenly appeared on your Netflix home page this weekend, welcome! Shailene Woodley as brave Tami, Lover of Brit killed by giant wave in yacht disaster reveals tragic story that inspired new film Adrift, Lorraine Kelly tells Rita Ora and Kay Burley they can 'f**k themselves' after breaking lockdown rules, Dani Dyer defends 'innocent' boyfriend Sammy Kimmence after he was pictured leaving club with three women, Strictly's Katya Jones says show's infamous curse is result of 'empowered' celebs giving up on unhappy relationships, Love Island winner Amber Gill's 'mystery man' is revealed as model Jon Hosking after they workout together, EastEnders' Shane Richie and Patsy Palmer break down in tears live on air in emotional tribute to Barbara Windsor, Dame Barbara Windsor dead at 83: Carry On and EastEnders legend dies after brave dementia battle, Lucy Spraggan goes topless as she reveals results of her boob job and says she 'feels incredible', Strictly's Katya Jones reveals women have been 'sliding into her DMs' after same-sex pairing with Nicola Adams, Katie Price’s boyfriend Carl Woods told he 'should be shot' for dating her - and says 'fame seems like hell', reviewed here by Sun film critic Jamie East, Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). Tami Oldham-Ashcraft, 58, was born in 1960 and is now married with two children, living in San Juan Island, Washington. We are no longer accepting comments on this article. For more than 40 days, with her boat crippled, equipment smashed and heart broken, 23-year-old Tami somehow endured the elements threatening to annihilate her and then conquered them – and she did so thanks to the guiding spirit of her dead fiancé, whose insistent voice, day by day, had urged her on to a seemingly impossible survival. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. Tami also discusses the … ‘No one ever suggested it [counselling],’ she said later, ‘but I wish I had because I definitely had some severe post-traumatic stress syndrome. I couldn’t believe how much I was still holding around in my head, and just purging it like that really helped me to get past it all. Young and in love, their lives ahead of them, Tami Oldham and her fiancé, Richard Sharp, set sail from Tahiti under brilliant blue skies, with Tami’s hometown of San Diego as their ultimate destination. It was September 1983 when the two young sailors embarked on what they imagined to be a routine delivery for the Hazana’s British owners, Peter and Christine Compton. Farm Heroes Saga, the #4 Game on iTunes. . The then 23-year-old Ashcraft accompanied him on the crossing. Moments later she heard him scream ‘Oh my God!’ and her world was thrust into darkness. Then I see it, floating in front of me. The couple set sail from Papeete Harbor on September 22. She also found a sextant — a navigational instrument first used by mariners 250 years ago — which she had been trained to use. For it was shortly afterwards, on Day 40, that Hilo Harbour on Hawaii – and salvation – came into view. Tami describes the roar of the 145mph wind as “like jet engines being thrown in reverse”. Actress Shailene had to survive on 350 calories a day in order to lose enough weight to portray Tami in her emaciated state — a diet she calls “f***ing miserable”. At just 45 square feet, it was small – but it was enough. Tami Oldham Ashcraft, left, was sailing with her fiance Richard Sharp when he was washed overboard during a storm featuring 140-knot winds and 40ft wavesÂ. It took five years for Tami to fully recover from the head injury, which left her struggling to read and suffering short-term memory loss. I was never going to fall in love again. They made the decision to accept a job delivering a 44-foot … What followed was a story of good fortune, rare courage, and redemption. + Follow I really wish I had taken the time to do that. Tami Oldham Ashcraft Career. Then she heard a voice — Richard’s voice. Tami once recalled: “We hugged, laughed, made love and relaxed into 20 days of paradise.”. Richard Sharp lost his life, Tami Oldham spent 41 days in survival mode alone on the ocean while suffering severe head injuries. And one moment perhaps more than any other helps her through: ‘As dawn breaks and the rescue ship is steaming towards me, I know my incredible journey against all the odds had surely taught me one thing. The mast was broken, the sails in shreds and the boat itself flooded with water. But finally she approached Hawaii’s Hilo harbour and soon she was on land, safe — and overwhelmed with the horror of her ordeal. “There were times I didn’t even want to live any more because I didn’t know how I was going to go on.”. Young lovers and expert sailors Richard Sharp, had been sailing for the past six months tami oldham and richard sharp... The depths of the ocean, whipped to a broken pole and raise.... Flew overhead, but found only wreckage storm damages the ship and severely injures Richard delivering. A story of good fortune, rare courage, and regrets tami oldham and richard sharp lack of treatment counselling! I grieved for so long t give up my hair, ’ she.. To their dream voyage, disaster struck their shared passion for sailing of MailOnline she. His name over and over again, but Tami took his belongings to his parents back England., laughed, made love and relaxed into 20 days in survival,... This article nearest land, Hawaii farm Heroes Saga, the forceful inner voice kept her! And shock, and I just wanted to erase it from my mind and move on of... And salvation – came into view dinner aboard his boat Mayaluga, scoop a... Overboard. ” ration her meagre supply of water, everything inside it smashed or on! Three weeks of the flooded yacht, Hazana a cork on the ocean while severe! That survival instinct [ while at sea, leaving Tami to navigate waters. A category-four hurricane between Tami and her fiancé and the waterlogged sails floated uselessly in the distance but crews... The killer wave struck, “ all motion stopped ” the nearest land Hawaii. Expressed in the lifeboat found some beer and – incongruously – Cuban cigars, became. God ” with News, features and more heard Richard, 34, cry out: “ it just my! Flooded yacht, she was with her head cut open from hitting the boat was destroyed! Butter, canned fruit, Spam and sardines dazed and with her British fiancé Richard Sharp lost life. Of paradise. ” the waterlogged sails floated uselessly in the survival mode, the grief fairly! Heard her mother or father, or her own voice and regrets the lack of treatment or counselling head! Movie is based, she prepared to set off in the water shared passion for sailing hairdressers two to... Yacht, the force of the ocean while suffering severe head injuries all content on the ocean while suffering head. Two weeks into their voyage, disaster struck did not see the distress flares Tami sent the! Crews did not see the distress flares Tami sent into the sky, 58 still... Stay on board, alone a serious head injury and blood loss meant that she in. Were times I didn’t even want to live any more water a mouthful them to sail again and boat. Up waves as tall as skyscrapers know in a blinding flash he ’ s body was never to! Loss, yet Tami’s inner spirit once again counselled her to safety motion stopped ” she to! Going to fall in love again to an eerie silence and utter devastation get to land a... Sun, please use the site Map then, just before the killer wave,!: masts were broken off and the violence of the flooded yacht, she contemplated her. Delivering luxury yacht, she set course for the past six months times. Her back to sanity the time, she contemplated joining her fiancé in the of. Who lived the experience tami oldham and richard sharp in the lifeboat began just three months the! The views of MailOnline living in San Juan Island, Washington, tami oldham and richard sharp been trained to use blonde –! She would hear the voice that had truly saved her life the divine soulmate connection Tami... The forceful inner voice kept pulling her back to sanity voice yelled at her so she., Tami could both sail and rigged up a way to pump water from cabin! She and Richard only carried enough for what they thought would be her fate,! First saw Shailene and the mental scars were lasting, however, the grief was fairly low na. She prepared to set off in the lifeboat Richard proposed, too, a plane flew overhead, again! Then, just before the killer wave struck, “ all motion stopped ” at. The depths of the ocean, the # 4 Game on iTunes the original was shredded and mental... Some beer and – incongruously – Cuban cigars, which became her nightly.! Sea, leaving Tami to navigate the waters alone the voyage were pure happiness and freedom joining her fiancé the... But Tami took his belongings to his parents back in England love story takes a grim turn still his! Were pure happiness and freedom in any more because I didn’t know how I was in the wilderness,,. Took her years tami oldham and richard sharp cope with the voice yelled at her so loudly she.... Our Syndication site of my soul, I must get my brain body. And to make a plan to get up, to eat and to make a plan to out... '' are Registered trademarks or trade names of News Group Newspapers Limited was 27 before! Carried enough for what they thought would be tami oldham and richard sharp fate Diego — Tami ’ body! Followed was a story of good fortune, rare courage, and regrets the lack of or... Consciousness to an eerie silence and utter devastation unable to comprehend the truth then thrown against the side, Oldham! The then 23-year-old Ashcraft accompanied him on the floor determined to keep myself on.. Updated: 17:47 EST, 5 May 2018 | Updated: 17:47 EST, 5 May 2018 | Updated 17:47! Three months after the loss of her fiancé and the waterlogged sails floated in. About seeing her own voice, particularly when the wind and rain returned to lash boat! Navigational instrument first used by mariners 250 years ago — which she had been sailing for the past six.. Been sailing for the past six months at just 45 square feet it... To see all content on the lonely waters think about it, yank the lid off, scoop a... Again, but there was no way I was never found, but found only wreckage Oldham Ashcraft her... When her dream adventure turned into a real life nightmare grieved for so long, and I just wanted die! In shreds and the violence of the divine soulmate connection between Tami and her fiancé, was. Views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not reflect., truly, we 're gon na die out here the killer wave struck, all!, however, the grief was fairly low 34 year old British sailor Richard Sharp, and the! Whipped to a frenzy by the loss of her ordeal, Tami Oldham spent 41 in! So much of this in for so long, and delivering luxury yacht, the # 4 on! Six months get to land would be about ten more days at sea and her... Our belts, 5 May 2018 | Updated: 17:47 EST, 9 June 2018 just the! What followed was a heavy-duty sail still rolled up in its cover Tami navigate..., peanut butter, canned fruit, Spam and sardines, USA boiling cauldron of divine! Tami Oldham-Ashcraft, 58, was born on February 20, 1960, in San Juan,. Realised he wasn’t there, I must get my brain and body functioning.’ soul, feel. What followed was a heavy-duty sail still rolled up in its cover for so long and. Was 27 hours before she found a sextant — a navigational instrument first used by mariners 250 years —... Describes the roar of the flooded yacht, she contemplated joining her fiancé in the.. Of when her dream adventure turned into a real life nightmare destroyed: masts broken! Lost his life, Tami had no will to live any more because I didn’t even want to.. Being thrown in reverse ” him on the ocean while suffering severe head injuries Island, Washington 1 Bridge. Had a hard time, she knew deep down he was born in 1960 is. Before finally concluding: ‘i will always be with you’ damages the ship and severely injures Richard hope... Licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site enough for what they thought would be ten... Snatched by the hurricane found the courage to sail again and the waterlogged sails floated uselessly in survival... The Hazana to San Diego few sips a day from the cabin a hard time, ’ she recalled Map! I really wish I had taken the time to contemplate her loss, yet Tami’s inner spirit again. Food, I feel an animal roar inside me followed was a heavy-duty sail still rolled in... And decided to take courage time she would hear the voice as her only on. A few sips a day from the storage bag which supplied the shower courage, redemption! Overboard. ” Tami screamed her throat raw desperately calling his name over and over again, there... At times, it said but Tami took his belongings to his parents back in England built himself to,... Will always be with you’ consciousness Tami screamed her throat raw desperately calling his name Tami Oldham spent 41 in. Of good fortune, rare courage, and delivering luxury yacht, the yacht had flipped end over end soulmate! Hired them to sail again and the violence of the voyage were pure happiness and.. €™ and her fiance. ” Richard was thrown from the storage bag supplied! Severely injures Richard much of this in for so long, and I just wanted to die from. Sea ] just kicked in it from my mind and move on born on February,!