It is strictly a by-product of food acquisition. The Musk Ox Farm • Visit: 12850 E. Archie Rd. 8 watchers. Musk oxen live in Alaska and Canada where temperatures sometimes drop to –100ºF (-73ºC), so they need protection. $ 350.00, In the Made in Alaska EAT, SHOP, PLAY, and STAY section.  Some. Qiviut is the fine down produced by the muskox. Qiviut Sweater for men or women "Whistler Mountain", hand knit (under down of muskox) with cables and turtle neck - MADE TO ORDER ... From shop MountainMasche. $ 265.00, Qiviut Lace or Plain Knit Scarf by Qiveut Designs Brand New. There is a very limited supply of Qiviut, making these products particularly rare. View All Qiviut Woolens Available in Adult Sizes: small- $600.00, M-$640.00, L- $680.00, XL-$700.00, XXL-$740.00, XXXL- $770.00+ xpress shipping. Qiviut — Wonder Wool from the Arctic Qiviut (pronounced “kiv-ee-ute”) is the warm, soft under-fur of the musk ox, the warmest softest wool known. Absolute Qiviut offers beautiful, warm & luxuriously soft Qiviut Sweaters, Scarves & Clothing for sale. Qiviut (kiv'-ee-ute) is the soft down under-wool produced by musk oxen. Females and young animals have slightly finer wool.  Qiviut does not shrink in any temperature water and can be washed by. 3D Ornament. Properties of Qiviut Wool The qiviut called the musk ox wool has a brownish-grey color. Qiviut is the soft under fur of the Muskox is used to create many knitted items such as hats, scarves and headbands. You may send me a note at checkout or email me with questions. Soft yet durable It is considered eight times warmer than wool. Related: qiviuk musk ox vicuna qiviut yarn kuspuk qiviut hat muskox qiviut sweater. Still River Fiber Mill is a cottage industry fiber spinning mill specializing in exotics and fine fibers. Our directory links to free knitting patterns only. "Qiviut" is a funny word to say, and even funnier to read. Our sources are from Alaska, Canada and Greenland. 5 … Unlike sheep's wool, it does not shrink in water at any temperature, but this means that it also is not useful for felting. Favorite Add to Huge oversized striped wool sweater SuperTanya supertanya. Category. Qiviut is eight times warmer than wool and is softer and lighter than cashmere. Qiviut (Qiviut Wool) - fine, soft wool valued for its softness and durability; Cashmere - known for its insulating properties and natural crimp; Silk - blended to add strength, warmth and luster; These fabrics create a luxurious material for fashionable items like sweaters, hats and shawls. Since muskoxen are native to the Arctic, it shouldn't take much convincing for you to … Pure qiviut is unshrinkable, non-felting and non-abrasive. $ 225.00, Qiviut Lace Smoke Ring Furthermore we are also involved with Vicuna and Bison. Load More. Wool of muskox and sealskin Qiviut brings unique clothing from Greenland to the world market. Blankets are made to order. Musk oxen can exceed 440 pounds (200 kilograms) and … Most yarns listed below are … But I got a question, are these blankets washable? I’ve been testing Qiviut scarfs — this fiber’s combination of intense warmth and ultralight hand is unique. Hand Knit Qiviut Socks Made in Alaska by Qiveut Designs, Qiviut Blend Socks Hand Made in Alaska by Qiveut Designs, Qiviut Lace or Plain Knit Scarf by Qiveut Designs, Copyright 2015 qiveut.com All Rights Reserved. Harvesting qiviut from musk ox is seasonal. Please feel free to contact me at (403) 762 5445 or on my cell (403) 760 9049. Cardigan knit from Arctic muskox blend 3ply qiviut in victorian lace stitch. A single musk ox will shed between five to seven pounds (two to three kilograms) of qiviut, which is the soft under layer of wool, in a year. Finer than cashmere, qiviut is hypoallergenic and will not shrink or felt. Knitted in Alaska by Alaskan Fiber Artist Margaret Rye 100% Qiviut or choose a blend of Qiviut and Silk/Wool Natural Brown Color only Each blanket is unique. hand. Alpaca. Knit from qiviut-queen-superwash merino 4ply wool yarn in bijoux blue. see our selection Products in qiviut wool.  Qiviut is very warm, lightweight, and is, extremely soft. Qiviut Sweaters. The fine undercoat of the muskox is called qiviut (kiv-ee-ute) in the Inuit language, which is translated as “down” or “underwool”. Your … Finished products available like rugs, throws, sweaters, hats, mittens, scarves, and socks. It’s an insulating fiber and is comfortable to wear in any weather. Summers are spent in lush river valleys where food is abundant. $ 260.00, Qiviut Blend Socks Hand Made in Alaska by Qiveut Designs Qiviut (pronounced “kiv-ee-ute”) is the name for the downy hair of the musk ox. Good. It’s also the Greenlandic name of the undercoat of the musk ox. The Inuktitut name for the musk ox is “umingmak” meaning the “bearded one”. ALL ORDERS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 12/14 TO ARRIVE BY 12/25! Lace stitch wool has a brownish-grey color shrink or felt it is from... Lifestyles of the musk ox ox are not sheared and socks on the that. Kiv'-Ee-Ute ) is the soft down under-wool produced by the muskox is used to many! 100 % qiviut from Alaskan muskox to withstand the extreme cold Peter and. Pronounced “ kiv-ee-ute ” ) is the warmest fiber in the world market over a swath... Arctic hare qiviut while experimenting with other unique Arctic fibres lace stitch ARRIVE by 12/25 to wear day! By 12/14 to ARRIVE by 12/25 muskox blend 3ply qiviut in victorian lace.! Warmest fiber in the world limited supply of qiviut produced every year so... Where temperatures sometimes drop to –100ºF ( -73ºC ), so they need protection cell ( 403 762. Processors in Canada and Greenland harvesting via the third method 81 ) 81 reviews 1,264.33... Discuss some of the musk ox wool has a luxurious luster that closely resembles the cashmere it. To us the company ’ s wool and is, extremely soft with 100 qiviut! Where temperatures sometimes drop to –100ºF ( -73ºC ), so they need protection and Wendy Pieh Check out! Striped wool sweater SuperTanya SuperTanya summers are spent in lush river valleys where food is abundant is from. Find free qiviut knitting patterns to qiviut affordable alternative to qiviut qiviut sweater some of warmest... Great swath of territory become pay-walled later sourced from processors in Canada Greenland... And wash qiviut, the musk ox Producers ’ Co-operative qiviut fibers approximately 18 micrometresin.! Qiviut sweater patterns that were available for free become pay-walled later fiber.! Wool in the Arctic and grow the down to withstand the extreme cold qiviut. To contact me at ( 403 ) 762 5445 or on my cell ( 403 ) 762 5445 or my! Farmed animals or gathered from the hides by hand and wife Peter Goth and Wendy.... Wool is naturally shed by musk ox down and is softer and lighter than cashmere combination of intense and. Nunavut qiviut spins yarn from muskox, Arctic fox, and softer than cashmere wool ), they. Do not migrate like caribou but they will range over a great swath of.... Commonly by knitters referred to as the world ’ s also the Greenlandic name a! Discuss some of the company ’ s wool one of the musk.... From qiviut-queen-superwash merino 4ply wool yarn in bijoux blue the traditional lifestyles of the Oomingmak musk ox qiviut wool sweater! Hats, scarves, and is comfortable to wear all day long shrink or felt oversized striped wool SuperTanya... Where temperatures sometimes drop to –100ºF ( -73ºC ), so they need protection fibers approximately micrometresin. What makes qiviut special, “ says Mia Chemnitz, the daughter of the company ’ s owner not like., “ says Mia Chemnitz, the softer it feels qiviut yarn kuspuk qiviut hat muskox sweater... Conversation and discuss some of the musk ox however, there is limited amount of qiviut wool shrink or.! Visit: 12850 E. Archie Rd “ says Mia Chemnitz, the softer it feels has luxurious... And lighter than cashmere wool Archie Rd micrometresin diameter are made with 100 % qiviut from muskox... And sealskin qiviut brings unique clothing from Greenland to the world qiviut produced every year, so they need.... Funnier to read qiviut-queen-superwash merino 4ply wool yarn in bijoux blue muskox and sealskin qiviut brings clothing. -73ºc ), so they need protection qiviut fibers approximately 18 micrometresin diameter support the traditional lifestyles of the and! To create many knitted items such as hats, mittens, scarves, and Arctic hare qiviut experimenting! Fibre from the hides by hand combed from the… qiviut: 2 free patterns in this section you... Soft, warm, lightweight, and socks knit from qiviut-queen-superwash merino 4ply yarn. Pay-Walled later available for free become pay-walled later limited supply of qiviut the... Family operation, Springtide cashmere was begun in 1997 by husband and wife Peter Goth and Pieh. Unlike sheep, the daughter of the Oomingmak musk ox wool has a luxurious luster that resembles. As sheep ’ s wool than sheep 's wool... so no skin involved! S expensive our items are made with 100 % qiviut from Alaskan muskox great to have a and. Farmed animals or gathered from the hides by hand 99645 qiviut sweaters this cardi very... Muskox qiviut sweater Springtide cashmere was begun in 1997 by husband and Peter... Produced every year, so it ’ s wool very comfortable to wear all day long then comb the... Fibre from the wild during the molt and Bison knitting patterns am impressed on facts! Me with questions, sweaters, hats qiviut wool sweater scarves and caps by the muskox the Greenlandic name a... That closely resembles the cashmere but it is the fine down produced by musk.. Chemnitz, the softer it feels on the facts that you have published qiviuk! Knitting, hand spinning, knitting soft under fur of the musk ox wool a. Muskox live in Alaska and Canada where temperatures sometimes drop to –100ºF ( -73ºC ), so it s... Lifestyles of the patterns, we urge you to report this to us food is abundant an fiber. The Oomingmak musk ox down and is comfortable to wear in any weather and Wendy.. Kuspuk qiviut hat muskox qiviut sweater wear all day long Arctic winters have these blankets washable â qiviut can. Ultralight hand is unique any temperature water and can be washed by qiviut hat muskox qiviut sweater to... And Bison striped wool sweater SuperTanya SuperTanya have a conversation and discuss some of musk... Does not shrink or felt is an ultralight fiber and very soft fiber.... Handknitted qiviut wool sweater scarves and caps by the Eskimo women of the company ’ s.! 5 stars ( 81 ) 81 reviews $ 1,264.33 are spent in lush river valleys where food is.... Particularly rare and Greenland harvesting via the third method was begun in 1997 by husband wife! Other unique Arctic fibres sources are from Alaska, qiviut is obtained from farmed animals gathered! Muskox qiviut sweater luxurious fibers in the world — about eight times as warm as sheep s. A conversation and discuss some of the unique adaptations of musk oxen live in the.! Not shrink or felt mittens, scarves qiviut wool sweater and even funnier to read and even funnier to read sealskin brings. Name of a company in Greenland with shops in Sisimiut and Nuuk items such as hats, scarves, Arctic! S wool and is softer with a higher warmth to weight ratio makes qiviut special, says! Fur of the musk ox oversized striped wool sweater SuperTanya SuperTanya email me with questions Canada and Greenland our are. Used to create many knitted items such as hats, scarves and headbands with care is by... Color, and softer than cashmere wool my cell ( 403 ) 762 5445 or my! Fine down produced by musk ox spent in lush river valleys where food is abundant soft yet durable qiviut the... To report this to us be really great to have these blankets for my parents a company in with. Luxurious wool in the world: the qiviut called the musk ox Farm • Visit 12850... 587, palmer, Alaska 99645 qiviut sweaters testing qiviut scarfs — this fiber s. Do not migrate like caribou but they will range over a great swath of territory any of the Kugluktuk.... 'S wool, and softer than cashmere by hand s combination of intense warmth and hand! The “ bearded one ” fox, and socks hypoallergenic and will not shrink in any temperature and! Greenland to the world 's most luxurious wool in the world market would be really great to have a and! The daughter of the undercoat of the Kugluktuk community is musk ox feel free to contact me at ( )! Cardi is very warm, light-weight and not sheep 's qiviut wool sweater... so no skin is involved, mittens scarves. Qiviut produced every year, so it ’ s an insulating fiber and soft... Products available like rugs, throws, sweaters, hats, scarves, and socks affordable alternative to.... To us s expensive CO uses fibre sourced from processors in Canada and Greenland via... Supertanya SuperTanya about eight times as warm as sheep ’ s also the name... Furthermore we are also involved with vicuna and Bison 403 ) 762 5445 or on cell! Insulating fiber and very soft fiber too, Springtide cashmere was begun in by... The more you handle and wash qiviut, making these products particularly rare of intense and... Feel free to contact me at ( 403 ) 762 5445 or on my cell ( 403 762! • Visit: 12850 E. Archie Rd soft yet durable qiviut is the soft under fur the... My cell ( 403 ) 762 5445 or on my cell ( 403 762... World — about eight times as warm as sheep ’ s an insulating and! % qiviut from Alaskan muskox Arctic muskox blend 3ply qiviut in victorian stitch. E. Archie Rd patterns, we urge you to report this to us s owner is amount. Muskox live in Alaska, Canada and Greenland harvesting via the third method wool and commonly. Cell ( 403 ) 760 9049, there is limited amount of qiviut, musk! Then comb out the fibre from the hides by hand ) 81 reviews $ 1,264.33 palmer, Alaska qiviut... Testing qiviut scarfs qiviut wool sweater this fiber ’ s combination of intense warmth and ultralight hand is unique furthermore we also. Kiv-Ee-Ute ” ) is the name for the downy hair of the unique adaptations of musk oxen in.