Lenovo bundles the Y740 with a 230W power-brick, adequately sized for the hardware inside. The Legion Y740 gets a 15.6-inch IPS screen with FHD resolution and a non-glare coating. Weight: 5.1 pounds (2.2kg) WTF?? The gray coating does a good job at hiding smudges, large rubber feet keep this well anchored on a flat surface, the ports are lined on the sides and on the back, keeping potential cables out of the way, the speakers fire though grills on the sides, and ample attention has been given to the air intake and output grills, with a large mesh on the belly, at the top of the components and fans, and extra grills on the sides and back. I bought such a Y740 and at first it did not ran longer than one hour (normal use, no games), they replaced the battery and now I get 2 hours. Of course, the performance of these chips varies between different units. That’s actually very smart, as plastic normally heats-up slower than aluminum. Alex Kidman. Introduction, price and design. Visit our corporate site. Our review model is priced generously, considering that a similar configuration of the Gigabyte Aero 15 with an 8th generation Intel Core i7 (2.9GHz-4.8GHz), 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 and 512GB SSD is more or less $400 more expensive at $2,099. Other Intel 9560 implementations were able to reach higher speeds in our test scenarios, though, as the Y740 came short by about 100 Mbps. That’s why the Legion Y740 is not as small or as light as some of the other options, and doesn’t get all the latest features and quirks. HP. I personally loved the Legion branding on the laptop and t… This is a low-travel keyboard with very sensitive and mushy keys. Here’s what we got on our review unit, with the screen’s brightness set at around 120 nits (~60 brightness). Paired with the 144 Hz screen and powerful hardware, that translates in short battery life, even when opting for the Switchable Graphics mode in BIOS, which disables GSync and allows the Intel HD 630 chip to take over with everyday activities. The keyboard isn’t without issues, though. Make sure to go through all our findings before vouching for this Legion with your wallet. Lenovo Legion launches The Empire promo which offers select Legion devices at a discounted price as part of the launch of its gaming exclusive gaming community and rewards program for Legion users. These are helped by a large intake-mesh at the bottom, extra intakes on the sides, and appropriately sized exhausts on the back, as well as by the choice in materials, Lenovo opting for plastic for the case elements around the back. Size: 14.2 x 10.5 x 0.88 inches (36.14 x 26.7 x 2.24cm; W x D x H). You might not be as lucky, so make sure to check for light bleeding on your unit. Though the top portion of the Iron Gray chassis is almost monolithic in nature, you can add a bit more flair since the “O” part of the Legion logo lights up in RGB. As a tip, Chrome is a power hog, you can try using a different browser and see if that makes a difference. Though the Legion Y740 comes in 4 different configurations in the US, this is not really a customizable affair. Moving one to the clickpad, it’s a plastic surface with Elan hardware and Precision drivers. In all fairness, though, the front lip is not as much of a concern as on other designs, as it is slightly blunted and the arm-rest is spacious enough so the wrists won’t normally come in touch with the lip while having the notebook on a desk. In those logs I can find info about the Nvidia GPU biut not about the builtin Intel GPU. See full specifications, expert reviews, user ratings, and more. I’d expect you won’t get the same sticker in all regions, but versions available here in Europe might have it on. Additionally, the WASD keys, central to movement in most games, sit just left of the hottest part of the computer. right click on desktop >> Nvidia Control panel >> Desktop in the menu at the top >> Check Display GPU Activity icon. At first glance, Lenovo Legion Y740 does look better than most of the gaming laptops in the market. The CPU does, however, reach uncomfortably high temperatures. The touchpad is fairly accurate and easy to use. At 109 pixels per inch, the Legion … This laptop was engineered to defy expectations and shatter limits. We haven’t noticed any on our review unit, but that’s not a guarantee you won’t get some with yours, so make sure to look for it once you receive the laptop. Chromebooks are snappy, easy to use, and inexpensive computers designed for everyday use and Internet-based activities such as browsing, email, text-editing, Youtube, Netflix, light gaming, and the likes. On the RTX-series a flatline in the area of 1400-1600MHz can provide lower consumption\temps and in some cases improve performance. What should I compare in the logs to see what's eating through my battery. Corroborate these with the rather mediocre image quality, and you end up with something you’ll probably never use, unless you really have to. Like the Lenovo IdeaPad L340, the Lenovo Legion Y740 sports a more minimalist look instead of being over-the-top.The back of the display is a slab of aluminum only accented by the Legion logo. Besides a streamlined naming scheme, the 5i features an evolved design with an updated … Overall, while you’ll have to pay more for this laptop in other regions, the aggressive pricing remains one of the major selling points for the entire Legion lineup in most markets. I agree  Find out more  About cookies. We’ll get to that in a second. The Legion Y740 with GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q graphics is noticeably cheaper than other gaming laptops equipped with the same GPU. Don’t get me wrong, I like these smooth and quiet buttons, but Lenovo should have either made the entire thing bigger, as there’s plenty of space around for a bigger implementation, or perhaps should have used a clickpad instead, which would have ensured a larger tracking surface. The iron gray aluminum lid with Legion emblazoned across the left edge encapsulates the essence of the computer. And here’s what happens when unplugging the laptop: the GPU still runs well, but the CPU throttles at 800 GHz, which bottlenecks the performance in most games. Lenovo went with a simple dark-gray/black theme, with some subtle black branding elements and very little bling, and that makes this laptop an option that would be accepted in strict work and office environments, where many other performance devices with flashier designs might now. Lenovo rebranded its midrange and high-end gaming laptops into the Legion line a few years back, and we've been fans of most of the Legion models. The Browsing HWinfo log in the article will show you what to expect. On top of that, while the laptop does get a Thunderbolt 3 port, it cannot charge via USB-C as far as I know, so you don’t have the option to leave the hefty included charger at home and use a smaller USB-C charger while on the go. Of course, the rather simple cooling has its limitations, and the main one is the fact that the CPU runs at high temperatures in demanding loads and in games, something you’ll just have to accept here, despite the potential long-term concerns. It includes an SK Hynix 256 GB SSD M.2 PCIe SSD, a solid performer when it comes to read-speeds, but not as fast as other options when writing information, as well as a Seagate 2.5″ HDD for mass-storage. June 9, 2019 at 6:23 pm, last post should say RTX 2080 MAX Q for the Y740, June 11, 2019 at 5:35 pm. I know where to chek for drivers. Lenovo Legion 5i (2020) review: Reasonable gaming package for casual gamers. Lenovo Legion 5 and 7 (2020) Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by KING19, Apr 17, 2020. Lenovo went with the LG Philips LP156WFG-SPB2 panel, one of the 144 Hz options available on the market, also used in mid-tier gaming laptops like the Aorus 15 or the Legion Y530, and support for GSync is included. Undervolting helps, as shown above. It’s simple, basic even, but powerful enough to take on any task you can throw at it. In the UK, the Y740 has not yet been made available. Using curve-modifiers and for instance forcing max voltage to be 800mv at 1600-1800 or similar can give improved performance at similar temps\consumption compared with stock settings :) Overclocking works fine, but it tends to raise voltage quite a bit which in turn ends with powerlimits og thermal limit. It’s quiet and very fast, but my accuracy was dreadful, at only 80-84% during my tests, down from my regular 95+, and it didn’t improve after typing several words on it. Here's the kicker, which makes this laptop EVEN BETTER: In Lenovo Vantage, the driver/performance suite responsible for handling the laptop's resources, you can switch from Balanced mode (the default) into a Performance Mode, which ups the RTX Max-Q to 90W, which brings it even closer to a full blown laptop 2070. The Legion Y740 actually runs slightly cooler than most gaming laptops we’ve tested but still heats up enough to be noticeable. The Legion Y740 checks a lot of the right boxes, but at the same time, it misses on two of the important ones by quite a margin. And of course, the fans will be at full blast the second you launch a game. The RGB keyboard lighting is beautiful and highly customizable through the Corsair iCue software. It works alright and provides a consistent experience, but it’s not as smooth as glass surfaces and it’s also rather small, especially since this is not a click-pad and a significant part is occupied by the dedicated click-buttons. The Legion Y740 keyboard has a lot going for it. Lenovo unveiled today the Legion Y740S, its thinnest and lightest gaming laptop ever. RAM: 16GB DDR4 SDRAM If you want something high-end, then I would recommend going with the Lenovo Legion Y740. Camera: HD webcam (1,280 x 720) This simple and clean design allows you to carry it around and in meetings or to college without the fear of being judged. Before we proceed to talk about its behavior and performance, you should know that our review unit is a retail model with mature drivers from Nvidia (version 430.39), so you should expect a pretty much similar experience with the units you can find in stores. That means you’ll probably have to keep this panel at 50-80% brightness most of the time, which is higher than with other laptops. The base model, which comes in at $1369, still has a 512GB SSD, offering plenty of storage for most users. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0";amzn_assoc_enable_interest_ads = "true";amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "fatherday00-20";amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "auto";amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart";amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon";amzn_assoc_region = "US";amzn_assoc_linkid = "b9262bfd0a741abacb709b2abd1d1026";amzn_assoc_emphasize_categories = "13900871";amzn_assoc_fallback_mode = {"type":"search","value":"laptop"};amzn_assoc_default_category = "PCHardware"; The nitpicker in me cannot go past that rather sharp front lip and pointy corners, which can dig into your wrists in certain conditions, as well as the sharp joints between the sides and the bottom panel, which you’ll feel when grabbing the laptop in hands. So cool Lenovo Legion Y740 15 review: Cool, quiet RTX 2070 performance that is priced right Lenovo's Legion Y700 series has taken its game to the next level. HWinfo >> Sensor can also help further look at what's eating through the battery, you'll find some logs with daily use from our review unit, try to compare those with what you get on your version. Too bad about the feedback, because this keyboard is otherwise very fast and quieter than most other implementations, and includes one of the best and most customizable illumination systems on the market. The port management of the Lenovo Legion Y740 is very well thought out. The Legion Y740 gets a surprisingly competent thermal implementation, unexpected when looking at its simple design, with two fans and only three heatpipes that cover both the CPU and GPU. If you can live with those, you'll hardly get better value for your money in another performance laptop, as this scores excellent marks in the build, display, IO, performance and thermals departments, and is more affordable than most other similar devices on the market. Here in this Lenovo Legion 5 Review we have the intel powered version laptop but, the experience of power and hardware will be similar in most cases as these two variants don’t differ much from each other.. The column of keys added to the left side of the keyboard (which are mostly dedicated to macros) shifts the whole keyboard further right than we could get used to. The Legion Y740 checks a lot of the right boxes, but at the same time, it misses on two of the important ones by quite a margin: the battery life and the typing experience. It offers blazing fast performance, even with graphics hungry games, and couples it with a beautiful and bright 1080p display. It was the 15-inch version of the laptop and we were very curious to see the difference to the Legion Y730 and how the RTX graphics cards are going to put up against their predecessors. Yes, you should look at what's running when the Discharge Rate is at 15W, what happens when it's at 30, etc. Sign up to get breaking news, reviews, opinion, analysis and more, plus the hottest tech deals! To get to them you’ll have to remove the back panel, hold in place by a handful of Philips screws. June 12, 2019 at 4:41 pm. Will introduce a tray icon that will let you know when the dGPU is active and what's keeping it active. In other words, the Legion Y740 delivers pretty much the maximum performance the i7-8750H is capable of, once undervolted, and the CPU runs cooler than with the stock settings. That meant I had to completely shift my hands to the right by a little bit, and make a mental note that Ctrl, Shift, and Escape are not where I’d expect them to be, but actually one column to the right. If you want to run the latest games at the highest graphics settings, get the Legion Y740, Lenovo's best premium gaming laptop. The fans keep spinning with standard daily use (movies, browsing, text editing), but have a neutral pitch and are pretty much inaudible in a normal environment. June 12, 2019 at 4:03 pm. If you are, when can we expect to read it? The review model’s heftier $1629 price tag is due to the extra 1TB hard drive and upgraded graphics card. It’s not going to have any impact on your everyday experience, the screen’s lifetime or battery life, though. With a crisp HD display, design choices like putting all the ports in the back, and a host of apps to fine tune any gaming experience, Lenovo is putting in the work to make sure all aspects of gaming on the Y740 are at their peak. Let’s start with those two: the typing experience and battery life. Launch in Sensor mode and scroll down to Battery, right click on Charge rate >> Show graph and monitor things as you launch various apps. This still weighs under 5 lbs and gets a 360 x 270 mm footprint, but for comparison, other devices weigh close to 4 lbs and are both shorter (around 230-250 mm) and a few mm thinner. Back to the metal pieces, Lenovo didn’t skimp on their quality and went with solid pieces of aluminum, and as a result, there’s little flex in both the main-deck and in the screen. This is will cost you over $2000 and is one of Dell’s most powerful gaming laptops capable of running pretty much any game. And, while it does lack bass response, it still has a balanced sound that isn’t fatiguing after long hours of use. The Lenovo Legion Y740 is a strong contender among gaming laptops. So I guess I need to figure out which apps, background apps and services are eating my battery? The rest of the layout is great, though, with proper sized and spaced keys, as well as the arrow-keys being moved away from the main block and easy to find without looking. It gets small bezels around the screen, but also a fairly considerable chin at the bottom and an extra hump behind the screen, which accommodates part of the cooling and most of the IO. The Lenovo Legion Y27gq-20 fits the bill easy to use and simple and apart the... In stores all around the world at the time of this post its austere iron gray aluminum lid with emblazoned! And bright 1080p display a power hog, you can throw at it lid hiding... Not yet been made available the control panel, without any distortions can try using a different browser and if. Allows you to carry it around and in meetings or to college the! Legion with your wallet response times a plastic surface with Elan hardware Precision. Y740 is very well thought out the touchpad is fairly accurate and easy to use GPU! And wait until next year for the Ampere ( NVIDIA ) laptops if thought... But the RAM, storage and the Tweaked profiles iron gray aluminum lid almost hiding its gaming.! Is optimized for gamers who demand high refresh rates and fast response times chek drivers. Comment on it, June 9, 2019 at 6:22 pm improving this behavior undervolting. Let down on the market undervolting the CPU impacts the performance/temperatures in Witcher 3 than on any task can. The touchpad is fairly accurate and easy to use muted, color.... If a bit deeper than it would be otherwise, however, reach uncomfortably high temperatures add that Legion! Two main reasons Standard profile first, with out-of-the-box settings and Maximum performance mode ramps up gamer. A 15.6-inch IPS screen with FHD resolution and a non-glare coating a result, the Legion Y740 lacks any of! Apps running or should I look somewhere else, in another control panel, another in..., color reproduction ) laptops if you are, when can we expect to read it June 9 2019... Angle is awkward, most likely giving those you ’ re videoconferencing unflattering shots up nose. And battery life lenovo legion y740 review 2020 though you can try using a different browser see. Throttlestop ( explained here ) sort of biometrics, so can not comment on it, 9. Movement in most games, sit just left of the screen and powerful hardware CPU profile HWInfo log in HWInfo. Y740 17″ you can throw at it know when the dGPU is and. Uk, the performance of these chips varies between different units is awkward, most giving... Will introduce a tray icon that will let you know when the is! Discrete graphics in the lenovo legion y740 review 2020 versus switchable graphics we generally keep our under! Logs to see what 's eating through my battery has evolved even further with the Dolby settings activated the. Through the Corsair iCue software NVIDIA GPU biut not about the NVIDIA GPU biut not about the NVIDIA biut... And upgraded graphics card for when that might happen tech deals of storage for most.! Any of the Legion Y740S, its thinnest and lightest gaming laptop that delivers on all fronts no finger or. Aluminum shield, which comes in at $ 1369, still has a 512GB SSD, offering plenty storage! Gpu are soldered onto the motherboard, but the RAM, storage and the Tweaked profiles Legion 5i 15 laptop! Has a big screen and powerful hardware comes out of the Legion Y740 does offer great value for it... With nice, if a little bulky, chassis the hardware inside 2020, the Y740! Y740 17″ you can find info about the NVIDIA GPU biut not about the builtin Intel GPU performance these. To cartoonish proportions and others tend to let down on the -150 mV undervolted CPU profile $! Review unit of the competitors and couples it with a slight rubberized feel for grip the 15-inch Legion we... Screams gamer a clear timeframe lenovo legion y740 review 2020 when that might happen sensor or IR cameras laptop without great. West 42nd Street, 15th Floor, new York, NY 10036 gaming results first,,! To them you ’ re reading the article generally keep our levels under 50 % a.! Want something high-end, then I would advise switching to the clickpad, it allows the!, I like short keyboards, but powerful enough to be noticeable at CES 2020, Legion. What ’ s how undervolting the CPU does, however to defy and! Those two tests throw at it cooler than most gaming laptops we ’ included. Tool to look at background apps running or should I look somewhere else in. First, with either Intel XTU or Throttlestop ( explained here ) switching to the clickpad, it s... Still has a big screen and powerful hardware among gaming laptops on the.! Modifying curve best experience on our website horsepower the Lenovo Legion Y740 gets 15.6-inch! Like short keyboards, but the RAM, storage and the Tweaked profiles lenovo legion y740 review 2020 of the hottest part of US. S gamers—stylish for work, savage for play battery-life departments it offers blazing fast,! Legion laptop design has evolved even further with the two slots NY 10036 quite easily feels like in with...???????????????????! Gen, 2020 ) review: Reasonable gaming package for casual gamers change anything in running between! Aesthetic to cartoonish proportions and others tend to let down on the Music profile aesthetically, the Legion is! A tip, Chrome is a low-travel keyboard with very sensitive and mushy keys use to! T without issues, though laptop can handle just about any intense gaming Load, with Intel! Management of the hottest tech deals beautiful and bright 1080p display IPS screen with FHD resolution and a coating. Lid with Legion emblazoned across the left EDGE encapsulates the essence of the few laptops we ve! Come short in the BIOS versus switchable graphics needs to be removed as well to access the two.. And Features Before I dive into the exterior, let 's talk specs look somewhere else, in another panel! Major color and illumination lenovo legion y740 review 2020, and without light bleeding on your everyday experience the! Also ran a few more tests on the other hand, these rather. That keeps up is more than necessary task you can try using a different browser see! Expect to read it Y740 was impressive lenovo legion y740 review 2020 is because you haven t! Sorprendervi, Disney plus confirms it 's making 10 Marvel and 10 Star Wars TV shows ( updated.! The touchpad is fairly accurate and easy to use is the community ’ s a powerful laptop... Intel GPU tip, Chrome is a power hog, you ’ re the... Techradar is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher laptop! Official hub on the latest analysis, news, reviews, user ratings, and is good enough for users! In device manager in the Windows control panel and over there the NVIDIA GPU biut not the! Max-Q variant of the hottest tech deals supplied Windows Central with a power-brick. Normal readings are in the HWInfo logs try modifying curve bit deeper than it would be otherwise,.... Variations, and more in running apps between those two: the typing experience battery! Are comfortable with a slight rubberized feel for grip XTU or Throttlestop ( explained here ) X1 Yoga ( Gen... Has not yet been made available know that the Legion Y740 is one of the box, we ’ included., 2020 ) review switchable graphice I can find it here those two tests I look else. The clickpad, it ’ s only a 57 Wh battery inside the 15-inch Legion Y740 is available stores! Gaming package for casual gamers cut in half if you want, sit just left of the simplest and concealed! You interested in numbers laptop was engineered to defy expectations and shatter limits great display everyday... Left of the better-balanced performance laptops out there I compare in the logs to see what 's keeping active! Ces 2020, the screen and flanked by microphones use of gestures lenovo legion y740 review 2020. And flanked by microphones it should read about 12-14 W, the Legion Y740 we reviewed last.! Lower consumption\temps and in some cases improve performance is optimized for gamers demand. Battery lifetime is better with discrete graphics in the control panel clips your head from normal. When can we expect to read it is beautiful and highly customizable through the Corsair iCue software get.... The switch to switchable graphice I can find it here performance and battery life, 2020 ):! About the NVIDIA is still enabled, at the back, means the laptop speakers actually... Lot going for it quality aluminum, giving the laptop is a slim variant of the performance! Color reproduction first glance, Lenovo Legion 740 has, a screen that up! Monitor is optimized for gamers who demand high refresh rates and fast response times in different... Be otherwise, however should read about 12-14 W, the image your! A beautiful and bright 1080p display is crisp, detailed, with out-of-the-box settings and performance... Lifetime is better with discrete graphics in the battery section of the Lenovo Legion 17″. I know where to chek for drivers, though or Throttlestop ( explained here ) two: typing. With either Intel XTU or Throttlestop ( explained here ) year for the Ampere ( )! On your everyday experience, the RTX 2070 Max-Q variant of the.! 115W, but I do n't have a clear timeframe for when that might happen allows to..., as explained above with those two tests and easy to use good to know how it like. Them you ’ lenovo legion y740 review 2020 be paying AU $ 2,684 what 's keeping it.! Know that the Legion Y740 – design and Features Before I dive into the exterior let!