I want to cover the wood and nails with primer to stop it from stains coming up on new carpeting. After ripping up carpet to prepare for putting down hardwood (true hardwood), I noticed some stains indicative of pets from previous owners. In order to properly install hardwood floors, the plywood subflooring must be even, or level. 0. Acrylic Primer (101) Model# CPQT $ 8 27. regardless, the installer should be installing a vapor barrier over the subfloor that will prevent this anyway. Custom Building Products MBP - Multi-Surface Bonding Primer 1 Gal. Paint store says to use oil base to solve problem but another person said don't due to the smell. Choose a Rating. Before you install your plywood subfloor, first calculate the room’s square footage to find out how much flooring you’ll need to buy. I'm going to contact them before I do anything and see what, if anything, he wants me to do. A subfloor is the bottom-most structural level of your floor. Hardwood flooring will not stabilize the OSB subfloor, so all movement must be remedied prior to hardwood installation. I've even added 3/4 inch plywood to entire rooms to bring them up to the level of the rest of the house but that was what I consider an extreme case. VCT. We started out using a Home Depot product for mildew and mold after the cleaning process, but I’m going to try the kilz on the other spots. Sealing plywood subfloor before hardwood install? inspiration. 5. Block the edges of the cut subfloor. If you cannot get the T&G in, you can block the edges of the plywood, and use regular plywood instead. I am not sure Kilz would cover the odor. And of course have two cats that have spoiled the carpet and some of the sub-floor. The key to a beautiful, long-lasting hardwood or laminate floor is a well-prepared subfloor. KILZ Restoration can be top coated with latex or oil-base paint. Sanding the subfloor can remove minor swells or high spots in the wood, but any low spots in the floor must be filled in order to level the plywood. Go for it. Do this by multiplying the room’s length by its width. After sealing all cracks, joists and undersides of the subflooring out to 1 foot with mortar, foam, caulk, and Drylok, the smell was still as strong as ever. Page Pet Urine Stains on Sub-flooring. You can prime it instead but use "Kilz" which is a primer/sealer combination. Solid Hardwood. You may want to try and bring in the installer just for an early heads up look. Correct me if I am wrong but don't they usually put a vapor barrier down before the hardwood? Your subfloors play an integral part in the success of your hardwood flooring. Using Kilz on Subfloor for Urine Odor? Materials • Kilz Primer • Painters tape • Cabinet Grade Plywood Sheets (we used 4'x8' 5MM hardwood at around $11.00/sheet). Wash the floor with an ammonia and water solution first, making sure the room is well ventilated. Kilz is certainly in the range of products that self leveling and adhesive companies consider necessary to remove before application of their products. The floor of my laundry room was three layers of hideous vinyl flooring of various vintages, a layer of 3/4" plywood underlayment (to match the height of the vinyl to surrounding hardwood flooring) and a subfloor of diagonal 1x6ish planks. You might have to shellac it to be sure. Which Kilz primer would I use on the subfloor to cover urine smell, the latex or oil, or the primer and sealer? Use glue and screws. Regardless of whether the subfloor is single- or double-layer, Armstrong Flooring recommends the following: If the top layer is tongue-and-groove and the strip wood is 3" or less in face width, cover with 1/4" or thicker underlayment panels.