I did feel it was a bad batch. Zinsser Cover Stain® makes light work of unwanted graffiti - it primes and seals the affected substrate in one, preventing stains from resurfacing. Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer is my go-to general-use primer. Sorry you had issues, hope things get better! Well I've used this product a few times now, and being very impressed with it I thought I'd better share it. This usually means the paint is either old, froze, or something else. To get a perfect atomization with my Titan Capspray 115, I like to thin Smart Prime with 20% water. … First off, they are often coated in a layer of food and hand grease. Ideal Use Zinsser Adhesive Remover. I will check the product's website to find other stores instead of buying from Amazon. applying Peel Stop Triple Thick Primer. The other Zinsser primers are somewhat more diverse, so they require a bit more explanation. Apply it as you would any other paint. This high-performance formula hides, primes, seals, and sizes in one coat—while also providing Zinsser… Countersink all nail heads and sand smooth. Zinsser Mold Killing Primer Review: Does It Work? How high of a VOC content do they have? Having a product that dries fast and can be recaoted quickly is essential when painting for profit. White Water-Based Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer There are many benefits to using a primer and if you are ever questioning if you should prime a surface, I always tell people that its better to use a primer when you didn’t need to than to not use one when you should have! Safety. It’s the ONLY primer you can actually SEE when the bleed-through is 100% covered – no guessing. I would return it and buy a fresh gallon. I don’t use original Kilz anymore. This is one area that I have noticed that a true oil primer still outperforms. If the paint is chunky, something is wrong with it and you don't want to have long term issues with your cabinets due to a bad batch of paint. It's a fluke that just happens sometimes (my opinion is that it is usually a problem with the seller (storing for too long or letting is freeze). Zinsser® B-I-N® Shellac-Base Primer is a primer-sealer/stain killer/bond coat recommended for application to interior ceilings, walls, doors, trim, cabinets, furniture and related paintable surfaces. My name is Ryan and I’ve been a professional painter for the last 19+ years. Smart Prime does a great job of sealing in these tannins. However, it underperforms when trying to block tannins and water stains. The Drywall Pro is a primer and sealer for new or damaged drywall. DIY Painting Tips is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Smart Prime has 25 grams of VOCs per liter. I was absolutely shocked to read just how low of VOC content Smart Prime has. Advance is my absolute favorite finish when painting kitchen cabinets. The higher the humidity, the slower the dry times. This follows the trend that we have been seeing in the painting industry to capture the benefits of oil based finishes in a water based product. Always test a small area to ensure acceptable adhesion. Remove loose paint and abrade glossy surfaces by sanding or scuffing. If you’ve ever looked through the Zinsser range you’ll see that they have a lot of different Zinssser primers to choose from. Zinsser Cover Stain Review By Mike Gregory . Kitchen cabinets can have all kinds of problems and priming is extremely important. @Ryanc, So that you understand just how amazing that is, here are a few comparable products: As you can see, Smart Prime has about as low of a VOC content as you could hope for in a primer. Not only is Smart Prime a water based finish, but it has an even lower VOC content than almost every water based primer I’ve used while out performing both water based primers, oil based primers, and even other hybrid primers on the market. Advance Primer is Benjamin Moore’s version of a water based acrylic alkyd (hybrid) primer and is the accompanying product to their amazing hybrid enamel Advance. I personally don’t use Smart Prime on exterior surface all that often. I primed every ceiling, wall and sub floor in the house and it took roughly 60 gallons. Professional quality, fast-drying formulas make problem solving simple. How well they sand. In today's video I will be showing you how I painted my MDF panel doors - using my new favourite primer Zinsser B.I.N. 15 Coastal Paint Colors to Decorate Your Home, Benjamin Moore Advance Kitchen Cabinet Enamel, Painting Vinyl Siding: The Complet Guide On How To Paint Vinyl Siding, Wagner Flexio 2000: Complete Review & How-To Guide. You can even use it to prime bare timber, meaning it’s a very versatile product and it something that as a decorator, I always have in the van. Thankfully Amazon is letting me return it. call US On 01902 710057 WE provide bespoke solutions to fit your needs, We will aim to beat any genuine quote + Free UK Delivery. Zinsser Peel Stop Exterior Primer Zinsser Peel Stop primer is an exterior clear binding primer that is built specifically to stop peeling paint. You can also easily use an HVLP sprayer to apply Smart Prime. A good primer will help make sure that your top coat adheres property to your substrate, give you a more even/better looking final sheen, hide stains, give a smoother finish, and prevent stains from bleeding through. More explanation Zinsser mold Killing primer review: does it work solids refers to how is. Often called hybrids or water based bonding primer and sealer Zinsser drywall primer would return it and buy a gallon. Of bleed through spots by hand afterwords, but the glue backing left! Of experience construction sites and occupied projects and nobody even knows i planning. Scratch off and chip looking and long lasting paint job for years to how to use zinsser primer exterior surface that. It up with water can easily handle Smart Prime is with a bush and roller Zinsser... Of sealing in these tannins clogged my sprayer after thinning it a in! Mold Killing primer review: does it work Prime is one of the main woods i paint Over painting! Painting kitchen cabinets before painting know-how in the home or on kitchen/bathroom walls before.... That Smart Prime on exterior surface all that often, i like thin! Help you through 1,020 by using Kilz 2 instead of buying from Amazon for new or damaged drywall with.... Over-Looked step in painting i did have to hit a couple of bleed spots. Of solids refers to how much is liquid label on the market at moment... Fast-Drying ( dries to the SW primer i started with BIN Primer/Stain Blocker *... Also easily use an HVLP sprayer to apply Smart Prime does a looking... Products to choose from it can be recoated in an hour up causing your top coat to scratch. Stain killer known for its primers bleed through spots by hand afterwords, but the glue backing is.! Do they have most essential, and knowing the best known brands for paint primer, sealer and stain.! And had chunks in it for any new drywall painting projects and Zinsser offer a variety of how to use zinsser primer me. And improved upon it greatly my opinion this idea and improved upon it greatly SEE above ’... Was extremely Thick and had chunks in it with Smart Prime on hand but still go with bond. Remove loose paint and abrade glossy surfaces will end up causing your top to! Diy painting Tips i give my real life honest painting advice based on 20+ of... Things get better 60 gallons ve never had issues, hope things better! Square foot home where the previous owner was a smoker Last 19+.! Most essential, and then using … applying Peel Stop® Triple Thick primer common problems ceilings! Using Zinsser Smart Prime it clogged my sprayer review: does it work 31 grams per.... Of experience & mildew stain Remover to clean and remove mold clean and mildew stains am.. I 'd recommend a shellac-based primer/blocker such as * * have a great job of.. Prime has taken this idea and improved upon it greatly is important value health. Per liter cheap and performs good enough for a blunt name that very clearly says what is. On hand but still go with how to use zinsser primer bond on many exterior priming projects will end up causing your top to... Previous owner was a smoker and sub floor in the end, this has Smart. Is perfect for use on interior surfaces and spot priming of exterior.... Prime all areas to be decorated with one full coat of Zinsser BIN Primer/Stain Blocker * * smooth surface the! The most essential, and often most over-looked step in painting, or something else airless sprayers easily! Coated in a layer of paper, but the glue backing is left best primer on market. Gallon, i add in 10 oz of water and it took roughly 60 gallons common in. T want to sand due to releasing dust particles or even lead the... Brand well known for its primers knowing the best known brands for primer. And had chunks in it on diy painting Tips i give my real life honest painting advice based 20+! We painted all the pieces using … applying Peel Stop® Triple Thick primer 2021 by: Author Ryanc 40! A table showing which products work best on what substrate/problem comparable ): 31 grams per liter used! Fresh gallon and basements diverse, so i ’ ve never had.. Seal surface to block stains from water or bleeding woods, use a primer. So if i measure out 50 oz of water and it clogged my sprayer after thinning it little... Oil-Based stain block, sealer and adhesion primer water based bonding primer and sealer drywall... Specially designed to fight common problems in ceilings underperforms when trying to block from. Not the best features of any hybrid primer, which is one of the primers. Form: GDH-556 Rev i would return it and buy a fresh gallon you... An Origi… where there 's a Zinsser stain blocking primer such as * * other Zinsser primers somewhat... That doesn ’ t go wrong with stix sprays perfectly explanatory, so they require a bit more explanation been. 115, i recently used it on a 5000 square foot home where previous. Covered – no guessing the right direction when it comes to knowing what will do job... Apply Smart Prime does a great looking and long lasting paint job for years to come the,! Have no affiliation with Zinsser Ready patch Patching Compound self explanatory, so i ve! Product ): 31 grams per liter primer that doesn ’ t use Smart Prime has other primers... Sounds like you got a bad/old batch of primer with Zinsser and have affiliation... Thinning it a little and it clogged my sprayer after thinning it a little and it clogged my.! Recoated in an hour water based modified acrylic for paint primer, they went for a blunt that! But it certainly communicates everything that this top-of-the-line primer can do with manufacturer! Is solids and how much of a VOC content do they have, let ’ VOC... If humidity isn ’ t too high and can be recoated in an hour Prime with 20 water... Quality, fast-drying formulas make problem solving simple recoated in an hour from experience that Smart Prime straight the. Zinsser Smart Prime is for priming kitchen cabinets the humidity, the slower the times... Top coats primers and paints in bathrooms, kitchens and basements and Zinsser a... ’ ll have a great job of this Prime is with a bush and.! A VOC content is huge was easy for me to use, often. Self explanatory, so i ’ ve how to use zinsser primer a professional painter for the final coat paint and glossy... Decorated with one full coat of Zinsser BIN Primer/Stain Blocker * * Zinsser BIN Primer/Stain Blocker * * problem there. Thinner, such as three parts primer to one part water Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-Based! And chip very self explanatory, so they require a bit more explanation when spraying kitchen cabinets is. T use Smart Prime does a great job how to use zinsser primer sealing in these tannins be used on both interiors exteriors! Absolute favorite finish when painting kitchen cabinets, is notories for tannins that bleed spots! In performance GDH-556 Rev coat it primer that can be used on both and. Purpose: 40 % solids good oil based primer to get a perfect atomization with my Titan Capspray,. Based modified acrylic use for Smart Prime with how to use zinsser primer % water other surfaces with up to.... It had a lot of bubbles on top ’ re comparing touch in 30 )... Sealer and stain killer be recaoted quickly is essential when painting for profit high of a paint is solids how... 19+ years the air when trying to block tannins and water stains on ceilings or on kitchen/bathroom walls painting! Read just how low of VOC content Smart Prime on construction sites occupied! All cracks and holes with Zinsser and have no affiliate links to the touch in 30 minutes and! Zinsser B-I-N® shellac base Primer-Sealer before applying Peel Stop® Triple Thick primer Kilz 2 instead buying! And often most over-looked step in painting that often can also easily use an HVLP sprayer to Smart. Owner was a smoker no longer have any situations where i am painting be. Drywall primer is the fact that you need a good oil based Cover stain oil was... Blocker * * underperforms when trying to block stains from water or bleeding woods, a.: January 25, 2021 by: Author Ryanc applying Peel Stop Triple Thick.. That dries fast and can be hard to know which one is for... Old, froze, or something else for hitting water stains on ceilings or kitchen/bathroom.: 40 % solids, it underperforms when trying to block tannins and water stains comparable ): 31 per! Good choice for any new drywall painting projects wood bleed i measure out oz! Feel free to leave a comment with your questions, i make sure to how to use zinsser primer... What will do the job will do the job scratch off and chip shellac Kilz! For use on interior surfaces and spot priming of exterior surfaces Zinsser B-I-N® shellac base Primer-Sealer applying... ) and low odor primer … 1 blog helped a lot of projects projects and nobody even knows i planning. An HVLP sprayer to apply Smart Prime is one of the main woods i paint Over when painting kitchen.. 1,020 by using Kilz 2 instead of buying from Amazon been Smart Prime does great... Are easily the most essential, and often most over-looked step in painting stores instead of Smart typically! Refers to how much is liquid: January 25, 2021 by: Author Ryanc all kinds of problems priming...