Image 3 – Roll the pastry over the meat filling, leaving the pastry seam on the bottom. I am a particular fan of adding a layer of red onion chutney to my sausage rolls. Sausage mince is also known as sausage meat. If starting with a pure pork, unflavoured sausage, you may wish to increase the herb seasoning just slightly. When you want to heat them, take them from the refrigerator and place on a baking sheet for at least … Place 1/12th of the sausage mixture in a long thin line in the middle. These puffy, golden goodies are perfect for any occasion, make … These easy sausage rolls are made easy with store-bought puff pastry. Remove the sausage rolls and serve them while they're still warm. You'll then just remove the sausage meat from the casing by slicing down the side and sliding it off. Place on prepared baking sheet, with the sealed edge facing in towards the pan (fat side on the outside). And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel. You can also freeze cooked sausage rolls, then thaw and re-heat this way. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Transfer to a cooling rack – Allow the sausage rolls to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. allrecipes.com.au/recipe/13918/mum-s-easy-sausage-rolls.aspx Ps love your recipes! However, you can tell that they’re cooked as the filling will have a very different texture from raw meat. First remove the puff pastry from the fridge and let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes before you start the recipe. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius (or 210 degrees if using fan-forced). Remove the moisture – Grate the vegetables (zucchini and carrot) and finely chop the onion and then place into a fine wire strainer. If freezing unbaked sausage rolls, you can bake from frozen as above, simply extend the baking time as needed, since they are starting from frozen. Keep in mind that starting from cold or frozen will affect the cooking time to done. Alternatively, you can make your snack into a full meal by serving with fries and salad. Sausage rolls freeze perfectly. These sausage rolls are also perfect for making ahead and freezing. This will become a staple for me. Here’s how you can get crispy, crunchy, flakey pastry…. The bread crumb addition isn't intended as "filler", but rather to keep the fat from the sausage in the sausage roll and preventing it from running out. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or black poppy seeds. I first encountered the larger version of sausage rolls at a local meat shop, who regularly makes them up and has them on offer. Brush lightly with the egg mixture. The biggest problem that people have when baking sausage rolls is having soggy pastry bases… and no-one wants soggy pastry! Hi Lucy, Me, too! To make sausage rolls from scratch, you’ll need: Hidden vegetables – no-one will notice that you’ve snuck a few vegetables into your meat filling mixture. Brush with the egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut each roll into 3 pieces (6 pieces for bite-size). You can reheat baked sausage rolls that have been defrosted in an 180 degrees celsius oven until hot through. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or black poppy seeds. I recommend using a combination of carrot, zucchini and onion. Meet the Author: Hi! Cut each roll into 3 pieces (or 6 for bite-sized rolls). How will I know if my sausage rolls are cooked through? There's a local place that makes these and I love them....a real treat! It is made from ground (minced) pork, spices and breadcrumbs and has the texture of the filling of uncooked sausages. Homemade Sausage Rolls. Flavourings – take these sausage rolls to the next level with garlic (optional), regular tomato sauce (ketchup) and Worcestershire sauce. I recommend using a combination of carrot, zucchini and onion. When the weather is warmer, bring some sunshine flavours into everyone’s favourite afternoon tea … Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Scoop out 1/8 of the sausage mixture and form into a log 5 inches long (you want the sausage log to extend right to the end of the pastry). Full … These pastries can be served warm or cold. Put These Homemade Sausage Rolls are my mums recipe and a tradition in our family. Bake the mini-sausage rolls for 25 to 30 minutes. Grate on Speed 9, 5 seconds, or until the mixture is finely grated (you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl). Roll to enclose, placing the pastry seam underneath.Cut the sausage rolls into thirds and place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. These sausage rolls freeze beautifully! Next, roll … No, not those cold, greasy supermarket sausage rolls... a real homemade sausage roll that's warm and buttery and has a quality filling. Make them mini for appetizers or big for a meal! Brush a 1-inch-ish strip3 of Dijon mustard down the centre of each square. I have frozen the rest (6). My husband would absolutely LOVE these Jennifer, and he wouldn't feel one bit guilty about sharing either! In a large bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients together. A flavourful sausage filling wrapped in golden puff pastry make sausage rolls the perfect little appetizers for game day! I’m so excited to welcome you to Bake Play Smile… this is my happy little blissful foodie paradise full of salted caramel goodness, chocolate-laden desserts and pretty much anything covered in sprinkles! Remove the baking trays from the oven before preheating. To ensure that your rolls are deliciously crispy and that you avoid the dreaded ‘soggy’ pastry, you need to squeeze ALL of the liquid from the grated vegetables (see my tips below). I'm Jennifer, a home-cook of some 30-plus years. Mix together until well combined. Some instructions say yes to let steam out and stop them going soggy and others say no it will actually make them soggy..? Set aside. Rotate between the oven shelves and also turn the trays around. Add water and using your hands, blend together until the water seems absorbed in the mixture. I’m so excited to share the recipe with the world. Easily our fave recipe and love the hidden veg. Required fields are marked *. For appetizer size sausage rolls, cut each large roll into 4 or 5 smaller slices. *If making to freeze, place on baking sheet and place in freezer until solid, then transfer to a freezer bag. There’s a small handful of recipes that I would make every few weeks and this is one of them! You can freeze either before baking or after. If you can, fresh herbs make a nice difference in the sausage filling vs. dried, though dried will always work, too. Brush the left side of the square with egg wash, then gently fold the right side over the sausage to meet the egg brushed edge and press to seal (or use a fork). They are so easy and I make it just a little easier by using hot Italian sausage instead of just pork! These cookies do not store any personal information. I've learned a lot from getting dinner on the table all these years! The best way to make mini sausage rolls … If you don't have dried bread crumbs, simply run a piece of bread through the food processor (stale bread or end crust piece works best for this). You are Here: Home » Main Course Recipes » Easy Homemade Sausage Rolls, Dec 22, 2018 | by Jennifer | Last Updated: November 7, 2019. Whether we’re having a party, filling up the freezer or making lunch box snacks, these tasty little pastries are always a firm favourite (especially with kids!). For dinner I’ll keep them as large sausage rolls, but obviously if it’s for a buffet or party I’ll slice them up. Easy and delicious, these start with store-bought puff pastry and store-bought pork sausage. These are so delicious. Roll the seasoned minced chicken meat into a long sausage on the edge of a pastry sheet. Apply an … Cut pastry sheets in half lengthways. 67 ratings 4.6 out of 5 star rating. Do NOT line the baking trays with baking paper as it acts as a barrier between the sausage rolls and the baking tray and stops the pastry from getting crispy. The most traditional way to serve sausage rolls is of course with tomato sauce or ketchup! Glad you are enjoying them, Darlene :) Thanks! Next time, I'm gonna make yours! Ensure that your oven is preheated to 210 degrees celsius (fan-forced) or 220 degrees celsius (conventional) before cooking. How to make sausage rolls from scratch? Pork mince – sausage rolls are traditionally made with pork mince (my favourite version) however, you can substitute with beef or lamb mince if you prefer. Join my email list to receive a FREE eBook filled with 15 of my most popular slice recipes! If you are making everything from scratch then you need to give yourself plenty of time. pork sausages, that would be nice. Chicken mince is so versatile, and it is much … One roll will make 4 large sausage rolls or 16-20 appetizer size sausage rolls. Sausage mince – sausage mince is also known as sausage meat. Remove sausages from it's casing and add in a bowl. I prefer Pampas brand as it puffs up beautifully when cooked, but any other brand is fine too. Options for other fillings: Caramelised Onion – Add 150g of caramelised onion chutney to the pastry before piling the sausage meat on top. I haven’t attempted them before so I’m trying to avoid soggy sausage rolls! *If tops seem to be well browned before that, loosely cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. I made the sausage rolls. So nice to have on hand for an easy dinner. I recommend using a combination of carrot, zucchini and onion. Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed and the mixture is cooked through. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sausage-rolls-364750 Lamb or beef sausages work just as well in this recipe if you don’t fancy pork Remove casing from sausages (cut a slices down the side) and discard. Add herbs and bread crumbs. If you can’t buy sausage mince, you can make your own by squeezing the filling out of the skins of regular pork sausages. It can be bought from the meat section of major supermarkets, and often butchers. I make a tray full to bake right away and one to freeze for later. ; Stilton and Walnut – Add 50g of crumbled Stilton (or more to your taste) and 25g of crushed walnuts to the sausage meat and mix in before putting onto the pastry. Required fields are marked *. This makes is the perfect snack, party food, appetiser or game night treat. Good! Brush lightly with the beaten egg. Visit https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/08/building-better-sausage-roll-one-bite.html for … Image 2 – Place a long thin line of meat filling down the middle of each pastry half. Best wishes :). I wish you a very Merry Christmas Jennifer. Most importantly though, I love sharing the joy of cooking at home, with simple, delicious and seasonally-inspired recipes. I have always wanted to make homemade sausage rolls and after seeing your recipe I'll be making them tomorrow night. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of all the cookies. Like most people, I have indulged in one or 10 mini sized sausage rolls from the appetizer tray before. If you'd like to check the internal temperature of the sausage, insert an instant-read thermometer. When cooked the meat filling will still be soft. Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. Sausage mince – sausage mince is also known as sausage meat. Sausage mince – sausage mince is also known as sausage meat. To freeze unbaked sausage rolls, prepare as per the recipe up until the egg wash stage. They look delicious! You can buy sausage mince from the meat section of major supermarkets or butcher. I hope to share a bit of what I've learned, as well as my favourite recipes. Chicken and Vegetable Sausage Rolls. Cut each pastry roll into 8-10 small sausage … To serve your frozen Scottish sausage rolls, defrost them in the refridgerator beforehand. This party staple is easier than you think to make at home and they are so delicious! Rotate the trays – Rotate the baking trays partway through baking. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Thanks so much, Lori :) I absolutely love having these in the freezer. Next brown your sausage breaking it up as it cooks. 5 from 5 votes. If you’re worried, break one in half and press your finger to the mixture, if it’s very hot in the centre, it is cooked. I've also use English Banger sausages. Next time you need to take a take a plate, be the fancy one who takes Homemade Sausage Rolls! And that’s great ideas for adding capsicum and leek! This time of year it's always a bonus to have something at the ready for pop-in guests or one last treat before the diet begins. Roughly form into a round and score round into 8 wedges. I Sometimes add dates or grated apple or grated carrot brings in more texture & adds a fruity flavour too! I’m so excited to share the recipe with the world. Using hot trays will begin to soften and ‘melt’ the pastry before they’re added to the oven – which will lead to soggy pastry. You can also be flexible with the shape. To make sausage rolls from scratch, you’ll need: Hidden vegetables – no-one will notice that you’ve snuck a few vegetables into your meat filling mixture. Cut one sheet of defrosted puff pastry in half. To get crispy sausage rolls should you prick the puff pastry before baking? Cut the recipe into 4 rather than 8 and end up with larger snack sized rolls or make them thicker (and cook them longer) to make 2 meal size rolls. You can freeze them baked or unbaked. If you love sausage rolls (and really… how can you not love delicious little crunchy savoury bite-sized snacks!) Thermomix & conventional methods included! Add the chopped onion, sausage mince, pork mince, garlic, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce to the bowl. To freeze unbaked rolls, prepare them as per the recipe up until the egg wash stage. Transfer the grated vegetables to paper towel and squeeze out all of the remaining moisture. https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/easy-homemade-sausage-rolls Place log on top of Dijon mustard. Place the grated vegetables into a strainer and squeeze out any excess liquid and then squeeze out any extra moisture with paper towel (see notes). You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Crunchy bakery-style homemade sausage rolls with a classic pork and vegetable filling wrapped in golden flakey puff pastry. Brush all over the pastry with egg wash. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until centre registers at last 160F, when tested with a meat thermometer. I find they are really best if frozen before baking. You've added this item to your cart, or black poppy seeds, to sprinkle (optional). Rotate the baking trays partway through baking. Lightly grease flat non-stick baking trays. And I hope you have a very happy New Year! Bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden and cooked … Hidden vegetables – no-one will notice that you’ve snuck a few vegetables into your meat filling mixture. Can't wait to taste them. Egg wash – before baking, I brush a small amount of lightly beaten egg over the pastry and then sprinkle with sesame seeds or black poppy seeds. It was a revelation for a sausage roll lover. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. « Warm Mission Fig and Caramelized Onion Goat Cheese Dip, Almond Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce ». Image 4 – Cut each length into smaller pieces (3 per length for larger rolls or 4-6 for bite-size rolls). https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/daphne-brogdon/sausage-rolls They are delicious. Press down to seal and trim any excess. Apricots & juice are great if using chicken sausages. Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. The trays need to be cold when you place the uncooked pastry rolls on them so that they cook evenly in the oven and get a crispy base. Wrap pork mince in buttery pastry for little parcels of perfection. Grate the vegetables (zucchini and carrot) and finely chop the onion and then place into a fine wire strainer. Rolling the the meat filling in pastry could not be easier. So needless to say, I loved the idea of making them easily at home. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I hope you enjoy wonderful, memorable moments with family and friends. TIP: Get your hands into the bowl and mix the filling together really well – this is so much easier than using a spoon. Do NOT line the baking trays with baking paper as it acts as a barrier between the sausage rolls and the baking tray and stops the pastry from getting crispy. Perfect for dinner on busy weeknights. Sausage rolls make a great picnic or buffet snack and are delicious either hot or cold. Delicious easy homemade sausage rolls, using store-bought puff pastry and sausages. You can bake them from frozen, so it's just so handy and the pastry will be at it's best that way. A bit of salad, a warm sausage roll and a big dollop of mustard is just so satisfying! Lightly beat an egg in a small bowl and use a silicone brush or a pastry brush to lightly brush the top of the pastry. Cut each pastry roll into 8-10 small sausage rolls. Freezer-friendly and super quick – this is sure to become your go-to sausage roll recipe. Note: scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full detailed method. Unfold the puff pastry sheets, and cut along the fold lines of each sheet to form 6 equal squares for … Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional). These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Enjoy Susan and Merry Christmas to you, as well :). Your email address will not be published. The egg makes the pastry turn a rich golden colour and makes them extra crispy. Put the baking sheet in the preheated oven and cook the rolls until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. They look absolutely delicious, Jennifer! Since most packages of store-bought puff pastry comes with two rolls, why not make a large batch and freeze them. Spoon or pipe mince mixture lengthways along centre of each … Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Alternatively, brush unbaked frozen rolls with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional) and bake as per the recipe (add an extra 10 minutes to the cooking time). It is made from ground (minced) meat, spices and breadcrumbs and has the texture of the filling of uncooked sausages. Do you love classic, homey, comforting food, but with a modern, real food update? Egg wash – before baking I brush a small amount of lightly beaten egg over the pastry and then sprinkle with sesame seeds or black poppy seeds. Summer sausage rolls. The TV chef shared a genius recipe for sausage rolls, and before any amateur cooks start to worry about making homemade pastry and mincemeat, it's an easy cheat's version. Lay the rolls … What can I use in place of sausage mince? Learn how to make a Sausage Rolls recipe! Easy Homemade Sausage Rolls with flaky pastry rival any bakery! You really can't just eat one! Place 1/12th of the sausage mixture in a long thin line down the middle. By using this site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policy. Make these homemade chicken sausage rolls with pre-rolled, butter puff pastry. I prefer Pampas brand as it puffs up beautifully when cooked, but any other brand is fine too. I add capsicum and leek in addition to the others in your list. We’ve used ready-made shortcrust pastry to make these sausage rolls extra easy but you can make your own pastry, shortcrust or rough puff, if you have more time. I find that the flavoured or banger-type sausages tend to have more seasoning from the start, so don't need quite as much. For the sausage, start with a store-bought pure pork sausage. Bake for 25-30 minutes (for larger pieces) or 20 minutes (for bite-sized pieces). It is made from ground (minced) pork, spices and breadcrumbs and has the texture of the filling of uncooked sausages. It sounds like a lovely way to change up sausage rolls :). Lol! The egg makes the pastry turn a rich golden colour and makes them extra crispy. They can be cut into small pieces for appetizers, or make them larger and enjoy them for a holiday lunch or dinner. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Success. Really it depends what the occasion is. Repeat with remaining 3 squares, then repeat it all with the second sheet of puff pastry, for a total of 8 sausage rolls. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Merry Christmas :), Thanks so much, Dawn and Merry Christmas to you, as well :), I love that you can freeze these Jennifer. Defrost sausage rolls in the refrigerator overnight, then let them reach room temperature before baking. Transfer the grated vegetables to paper towel and squeeze out all of the remaining moisture. Be sure to read the "Cook's Notes" in the original post, for more tips, options, substitutions and variations for this recipe! Puff pastry – the delicious golden, flakey pastry is made using regular store-bought frozen pastry sheets. How to roll up Sausage Rolls Starting at the meat side of the pastry, carefully roll them up as tightly as possible to help prevent the pastry from separating from the meat during cooking. Add black pepper and seasoning, mix well … Mix on Reverse Speed 5 for 30 seconds or until completely combined (using the spatula to help mix). You want it to be at least 165F. Pork mince – sausage rolls are traditionally made with pork mince (my favourite version) however, you can substitute with beef or lamb mince if you prefer. If you've baked them up, and you have left-overs, reheat in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes from the refrigerator. Place the sausage rolls onto lightly greased non-stick baking trays. I make these all the time! Merry Christmas! This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Place the drained carrot and zucchini into a bowl. Hi Anne and thanks for sharing these ideas! Add sausage to a medium bowl. then you’re going to love these recipes too: WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Sausage rolls can be frozen for two or three months. Flavourings – take these sausage rolls to the next level with garlic, regular tomato sauce (ketchup) and Worcestershire sauce. If you can’t buy sausage mince, you can make your own by squeezing the filling out of the skins of regular pork sausages. If you have an instant read thermometer, it never hurts to check the internal temperature of the large rolls. I couldn’t believe how good they tasted. Are looking for simple, seasonal and delicious everyday recipes? Forget about buying sausage rolls from the bakery, this homemade recipe is a zillion times better! You have inspired me to make a couple of batches and freeze them:) They look so appetizing! Image 1 – Cut each square of puff pastry in half. Roll into a long thin roll making sure that the joined pastry seam is facing down. Place the sausage rolls onto lightly greased non-stick baking trays (see notes). These Easy Homemade Sausage Rolls are such a family favourite! You can venture a bit into the flavour/seasoned area too, if you like. Sausage rolls are undoubtedly one of the most popular foods to buy from a bakery in Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Repeat with remaining mince mixture, pastry and egg, reserving a little egg. My recipe makes 2/3 bite sausage rolls. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Use cold baking trays – The trays need to be cold when you place the uncooked sausage rolls on them so that they cook evenly in the oven and get a crispy base. Starting with one roll of thawed puff pastry (approx 10x10-inches), use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut into 4 pieces approximately 5x5-inches). Add the sausage mince, pork mince, garlic, grated vegetables, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce to the Thermomix bowl. I love the pre-rolled, all-butter puff pastry. Use your hands to squeeze out as much mixture as possible. Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Rotate between the oven shelves and also turn the trays around. https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/keto-sausage-rolls Return to the Thermomix bowl. When the sausage … When I tested these after 35 minutes in the oven (starting from room temperature), they registered 205F. Preheat your oven – Ensure that your oven is preheated to 210 degrees celsius (fan-forced) or 220 degrees celsius (conventional) before cooking the sausage rolls. https://www.canadianliving.com/food/recipe/puff-pastry-sausage-rolls-1 1yo, 4yo and hubby absolutely smash them. A store I shop at sells maple, cranberry etc. Roll into a long thin roll making sure that the joined pastry seam is facing down. Puff pastry – the delicious golden, flakey pastry covering is made using regular store-bought frozen pastry sheets. Print Pin Rate. I identify with your '1 or 10 mini rolls" statement, definitely how it goes:) Love the idea for large sausage rolls, especially if you have them ready in the freezer. Copyright © 2020 Seasons and SuppersAs an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. “One of the best Food Blogs in Canada.” National Post. Yes, I suspected I wasn't the only one with a sausage roll indulgence in my past :) Thanks so much, Milena :), Your email address will not be published. https://www.recipetineats.com/special-pork-fennel-sausage-rolls Use your hands to squeeze out as much mixture as possible. These easy homemade sausage rolls do double duty. Mini Sausage Rolls vs Giant Sausage Roll. Thanks Oh thank you so much! Fold the other side of the pastry over onto the egg-washed edge. Prep Time: … As the pieces are very small, by the time has pastry has turned golden and crispy, the filling will most definitely be cooked through. How to make Sausage Rolls. Grate carrot and zucchini and remove any excess liquid through a strainer and then squeeze out any extra moisture with paper towel (see notes). Place carrot, zucchini and onion into the Thermomix bowl. Prepare the trays – Lightly grease flat non-stick baking trays. I gave 3 to my son and I have 3 left for another dinner for this week. STEP 5 Place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray and transfer to the oven … Thanks so much for the recipe. More information in my Privacy Policy. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. You can buy sausage mince from the meat section of major supermarkets or from your local butcher. Don't forget the egg wash before baking and do allow a few extra minutes of baking time. Learn how your comment data is processed. They are similar to what’s known as ‘Pigs In Blankets’ in the US, however they differ in that they’re made using a soft meat filling (traditionally with a combination of either pork or beef mince and sausage meat) and are then wrapped in crispy, flakey, golden puff pastry. I mean why eat 10 little ones when you can enjoy one large one for a meal :). I think it’s probably more personal choice than anything! Allow baked sausage rolls to cool completely before freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. So make a big batch and you'll always have sausage rolls appetizers or a sausage roll for meal handy. Make two scores gently across the top of each roll. The ultimate party food is just a few simple steps away…. Hi Becc, I don’t prick mine! Top Tip! This helps the filled side brown all the way around.