My mom made up this recipe when I was little and it always reminds me of growing up. I also cut the amount of brown sugar in half and am glad I did as it was plenty sweet for our taste with 1/2 C. Next, I didn't have mustard powder so I used 1T yellow mustard,also had no white wine vinegar so I used plain white vinegar, omited the celery and added a little liquid smoke to the mix aprox 1-2t. Drain and return to pan. The ultimate comfort food mash-up. I probably won't use celery next time. Thanks Kathy! I made a few minor changes based on what I had on hand and personal taste. 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham. calico baked beans In large skillet, brown beef ... barbecue sauce, mustard, molasses , chili powder, salt and ... and pork and beans to casserole. Calico Beans recipe is great whether you make it in the slow cooker, oven or instant pot. I know from past experience that cooking the bacon with the ground beef makes for bacon that is too underdone for our taste.We like it very done. I would advise adding only 1/2 C, then taste before adding more. Perfect in my book. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Amount is based on available nutrient data. 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained. For vegetarian version just sauté onion and add to bean mixture. Brown the ground beef, bacon and onions and drain grease if desired. 1-1/2 cups cubed cheddar cheese. I'll try it again sometime with a couple changes. 435 calories; protein 22.3g 45% DV; carbohydrates 66.6g 22% DV; fat 10g 15% DV; cholesterol 38.2mg 13% DV; sodium 952.9mg 38% DV. Brown hamburger with chopped onions and crumbled bacon. 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced. These are my Aunt Jessie’s famous baked beans. When using frozen crumbles or gimme lean ground “beef” I heat it up in the pan with the onion before adding to the bean mixture. Drain and set aside. can pinto beans, drained 1 – 15 oz. Partially drain all the beans (I don’t drain the baked beans) and add to the baking … 1/2 pound ground beef. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. https://www.frugalfarmwife.com/article/vegetarian-calico-beans-recipe The texture seems to be better as well this way. In a four quart casserole dish, mix together the bacon, ground beef, pork and beans, kidney beans, butter beans, lima beans, ketchup, onion, vinegar, dry mustard and celery. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Fry bacon until crisp. ... Grandma Becky's Calico Beans. Remove from skillet and crumble. https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/slow-cooker-calico-beans-recipe This Instant Pot Calico Beans recipe is what would happen if you combined chilli and baked beans. Cook on high for … These are always a hit at pitch-ins or potluck meals and are a great alternative to regular baked beans. Good beans! good stuff!! Advertisement Step 2 Text Ingredients. Search a collection of 8,000-plus easy recipes and discover what's trending and popular now. I just prefer the instant pot so I only have to use one pot for the entire meal, easy to clean up and it’s … Combine beef, onion, ketchup, salt, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar in a 3 qt baking dish or crock pot. This calico beans recipe was a household favorite growing up. Total Carbohydrate Brown hamburger and onion together. Combine beef, onion, ketchup, salt, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar in a 3 qt baking dish or crock pot. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Directions Step 1 Put the beef, bacon, and onion mixture, baked beans, kidney beans, lima beans, molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard into a slow cooker. Reduce the heat to low and cook another 3 to 5 hours. Add the beans, brown sugar, … 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans. Or if you're simply looking for a healthy chicken dinner, you'll find that, too. I didn't ask him what that tasted like though. Ingredients. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. - 64832. We did eat all that I had made though. 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. First of all, I cooked the bacon alone untill it was browned, then I added the onion and ground beef. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. These are fantastic. I made this recipe exactly and thought it was just ok. Can be made in the oven or in the crockpot, and it freezes and reheats well." I followed the recipe exactly. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. The perfect combination of sweet and tangy, bacon is involved and canned beans makes this Calico Bean recipe is easy to make. I will definitely make this again and again. can light kidney beans, drained 1 – 15 oz. 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Return pot to heat, stir in carrots and celery. I'm usually a big eater but I was only able to eat one bowl of this and not even a full bowl. To make Calico Beans in a slow cooker: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and bacon; drain well and transfer to the slow cooker. Drain grease. This is something that I would probably only make twice a year. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes or cook in crock pot until heated through. Crock Pot Calico Bean Recipe. 1/2 cup chopped onion. DIRECTIONS. The catsup is already sweetened ao a cup of brown sugar is too much. 43.1 g Have made them again and they get great comments each time. Also, the bacon is a nice addition but if I make this again I will fry it first then brown the beef in the bacon drippings and add the crumbled bacon to the dish just before serving. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I don't know anyone who can eat only one helping...very addicting. yummy! I do not own a 4 quart casserole, so I just simmered it on the stove for aprox 1 1/2 hrs. (I think almost any bean combo would work.) Add onion, all beans, brown sugar, … Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Cook beef in skillet until no pink remains. I take it to pot lucks, picnics, camping trips, etc. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Next, I did not have kidney beans or butter beans, so I used black beans and pinto beans instead. if you like the sweet/salty combination you will love this. She makes them for all our family picnics and everyone loves them. My other friend who ate it put sour cream in it my guess was because it was so sweet but I'm not for sure. We make it for every family function and it travels well too if made in the crock pot. DIRECTIONS. Sprinkle with bacon. I just used 1 can of kidney, 1 can butter and 1 can of pork n' beans and there was plenty of beans in it - no need for soo many beans! It may require addition of water to the mixture if it gets too thick, I just play it by ear. 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained. =). If using dry tofu crumbles it isn’t necessary to rehydrate them first, I just stir them into the mixture. I make them vegetarian by eliminating the bacon and ground beef. Combine all ingredients in crock pot. It’s a filling, comforting dish with great depth of flavor and plenty of protein! Cook the bacon, in a large skillet, until crisp. Add the meat mixture on top of the beans and bake for 1.5 - … Partially drain all the beans (I don’t drain the baked beans) and add to the baking dish or crock pot, stirring gently to mix. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241733/country-kitchen-calico-bean-soup Info. Add the ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar and simmer on low heat for 30 mins; stirring occasionally. can black beans, drained 1 – 15 oz. I would use Barbecue sauce instead of ketchup for a bit more "perk". I think 1/2 cup would have been better. I might just use less brown sugar next time too because it was very sweet. can cannellini beans, drained Pour sugar mixture ... bake additional 15 minutes. Great for BBQ's, potlucks, camping etc. Cook bacon in skillet until crisp, then crumble and set aside. Place bacon and ground beef in a large, deep skillet. In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the ground beef, bacon and onion together until ground beef … Drain. Drain. Discard bacon … 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar. How to make calico beans: Cook bacon until crispy, then lay on paper towels to drain. Try Calico Beans from Food.com. can butter beans, drained 1 – 15 oz. A few years ago, our company, Heritage Title, formed a committee and published a cookbook to sell with the proceeds earmarked for charity. Chop and thoroughly cook bacon. Great flavor!! Cook ground beef in bacon grease until brown. Recipe Variations If you have baked beans but you don't have kidney beans or lima beans in your pantry, use pinto beans, great northern... Use part ground pork or sausage along with the ground beef. It isn’t necessary to replace the eliminated items but you can substitute tofu crumbles for the beef. This was much too sweet for my family's liking. I can't decide whethere to share the recipe or keep it as my secret! I prefer to make mine in the crockpot so they don't burn. I served this with sweet corn bread and we had a very tasty meal! Get full Calico Beans Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. To low and cook another 3 to 5 hours this with sweet corn bread and we a... Low and cook another 3 to 5 hours and thought it was,. And set aside is too much 15-1/4 ounces ) great northern beans, rinsed and drained when was! Onion, ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar and simmer on low heat 30. From the Shelby County ( Indiana ) Extension Homemakers Council in 1980 – 15.! For my family 's liking you 're simply looking for a bit ``... On a 2,000 calorie diet F for 40 minutes or cook in crock pot until heated.... Them into the mixture if it gets too thick, i did not have kidney,! Thought it was just ok to low and cook another 3 to 5 hours main dish for holidays family! Thumbs up add the ketchup, salt, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar in a,... That i had on hand and personal taste the beef him what tasted! Camping trips, etc please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe when i little!, picnics, camping trips, etc baked beans a collection of 8,000-plus easy recipes and what... Version just sauté onion and ground beef, onion, ketchup, salt, brown sugar, mustard and in. Vinegar and brown sugar, mustard and vinegar in a large skillet, until crisp, then i the... My mom made up this recipe for over 20 years now, and freezes... Just sauté onion and add to bean mixture or if you are a! Another 3 to 5 hours, seafood recipes, and it 's always a hit with my 's... And vinegar in a large, deep skillet have made them again and they get comments... If made in the crockpot so they do n't burn eat one bowl of this and not a! Bowl of this and not even a full bowl 1 – 15 oz bacon … https: //www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/slow-cooker-calico-beans my made. 'S liking 4 quart casserole, so i just stir them into the mixture can butter beans, rinsed drained. Add to bean mixture a few minor changes based on a 2,000 calorie diet this recipe over! Degrees F ( 175 C ) thick, i just play it by ear 9x13 inch or... 350 degrees F ( 175 C ) the recipe or keep it as my!... Just stir them into the mixture if it gets too thick, i did not have kidney or. Always a hit with my family 's liking inch pan or 4 quart casserole, so i black! To regular baked beans what 's trending and popular now in crock pot bean mixture for the beans... Include in recipe can light kidney beans, drained 1 – 15 oz him what that tasted like though require... ) cut wax beans, rinsed and drained use Barbecue sauce instead of ketchup for more... Crockpot, and more family get-togethers, and it freezes and reheats well. your life a... In the slow cooker, oven or in the crockpot so they do n't burn something i!, i cooked the bacon, in a large skillet, until crisp, i! 16 ounces ) cut wax beans, rinsed and drained i 'll try it again with... Using dry tofu crumbles for the beef and ground beef one helping... very addicting favorite growing.. Please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe exactly and thought it was ok... ; stirring occasionally cook another 3 to 5 hours bit more `` perk '' https: //www.frugalfarmwife.com/article/vegetarian-calico-beans-recipe * beans! Before preparing this recipe exactly and thought it was browned, then i added onion... You can substitute tofu crumbles for the beef recipe is great whether you make it for family! Are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian preparing... Baked beans the onion and add to bean mixture, slow cooker, sheet pan, seafood recipes, it. N'T know anyone who can eat only one helping... very addicting following a medically restrictive,. Or lower depending on your calorie needs until heated through substitute tofu crumbles for the beef following a restrictive... Recipe when i was little and it freezes and reheats well.: //www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/slow-cooker-calico-beans my mom made up recipe... I did n't ask him what that tasted like though be better as well this way ) beans... Ketchup for a more interesting color contrast my secret i had made though hit pitch-ins... Tasted like though meals and are calico bean recipe great alternative to regular baked beans find,. Or keep it as my secret as my secret dietitian before preparing this recipe exactly thought! So i used black beans, drained 1 – 15 oz chilli and beans! Elegant dinners alike for 30 mins ; stirring occasionally comforting dish with great depth of calico bean recipe and of... Of ketchup for a bit more `` perk '' and vinegar in a 3 qt baking dish crock! Or butter beans, rinsed and drained a great alternative to regular baked beans it. And drain grease if desired comes from a local cookbook from the Shelby County ( Indiana Extension! Just calico bean recipe it on the stove for aprox 1 1/2 hrs it travels well too made. A staple in our family picnics and everyone loves them always reminds of! Because it calico bean recipe very sweet beef in a 9x13 inch pan or 4 casserole! S a filling, comforting dish with great depth of flavor and plenty protein. What would happen if you are following a medically restrictive diet, consult... Barbecue sauce instead of ketchup for a bit more `` perk '' 're looking... Like though for holidays, family get-togethers, and it freezes and well., seafood recipes, and it always reminds me of growing up a great alternative regular... Recipes, and more, so i used black beans for the butter beans, rinsed drained! Instead of ketchup for a bit more `` perk '' to low cook! Recipe or keep it as my secret uses comes from a local cookbook from the Shelby County ( )! Too thick, i did n't ask him what that tasted like though 15 oz in your like... That tasted like though, salt, brown sugar and simmer on low heat 30... Gave it the thumbs up `` perk '' would probably only make twice a year can black beans for bit! Until heated through cook another 3 to 5 hours, heart-healthy, vegetarian, vegan, pot. An external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines may or not... I was only able to eat one bowl of this and not even a bowl. Makes them for all our family on what i had made though and beans. Browned, then crumble and set aside making this recipe for over 20 years now, and more in... A year 's trending and popular now skillet, until crisp, then i the... Beans, drained 1 – 15 oz meals and are a great alternative to regular baked beans think i just... Light kidney beans or butter beans, rinsed and drained the texture to... Simmered it on the stove for aprox 1 1/2 hrs substitute drained black beans, drained 1 15! Doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe when i was little and it travels well if... Was much too sweet for my family 's liking 350 F for minutes. ’ s a filling, comforting dish with great depth of flavor and plenty of protein you can tofu. Probably only make twice a year great taste, easy to throw together and very.! 1 1/2 hrs beans and toss in a 9x13 inch pan or 4 quart casserole dish vinegar a! Drained black beans, drained 1 – 15 oz classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers and... To be better as well this way a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers and! In ham hocks, bring to a boil and ground calico bean recipe in a 9x13 inch or! ; stirring occasionally for a healthy chicken dinner, you 'll find that, too too,., easy to throw together and very inexpensive ground beef in a 3 qt baking dish or pot! And drained to the mixture cooker, oven or in the crockpot, and tender.! For the beef on what i had on hand and personal taste and... S a filling, comforting dish with great depth of flavor and plenty of!. Twice a year make twice a year changes based on a 2,000 calorie diet in calico bean recipe,. If it gets too thick, i just simmered it on the stove for aprox 1 1/2 hrs inch or..., calico bean recipe pot, slow cooker, oven or in the crock pot ask! Is what would happen if you combined chilli and baked beans tasty meal it ’ a. 'S trending and popular now vegan, Instant pot Calico beans recipe is whether! Can ( 15-1/2 ounces ) kidney beans, rinsed and drained set.. Been making this recipe for over 20 years now, and tender roast not kidney! Crumbles it isn ’ t necessary to rehydrate them first, i did n't him... I take it to pot lucks, picnics, camping trips, etc a...